The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Default What is the 'Yamaha FG800' of electric guitars?

Hi,

I really don't know much at all about electrics but I have been floating the idea of getting a lower-end electric to play in some headphones late night.

What is the 'FG800' of electric guitars? That is to say, is there a lower-end electric that is consistently a good quality and value? Is there such a thing?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM

I'm not an electric player, but from what I've heard most of the Epiphone Les Paul models are pretty good. Yamaha's own Pacifica range are supposed to be good if you want a Strat copy. But ultimately it comes down to you trying a few to find out what suits you and gives the right sort of sound for your ears.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:49 AM

There are so many answers to that question that it's hard to pick one, and models are dropped, modified, and added so often that it's hard to say on that regard too. And one persons $600 guitar is too expensive, while another's $400 guitar is "why not just save up for this $800 model, or look for it used." I could say: a Fender standard Tele (made in Mexico), or one of the Classic Vibe Squier models and be done with it, but I'm going to make some broader observations.

Soundwise, an electric guitar is mostly it's pickups, and playablity is dictated mostly by it's neck and quality of it's setup. Robustness is more or less equal save for a handful of inexpensive pieces of electronics.

My experience says that single coil pickups are more valid across price ranges and makers than humbuckers. Perhaps I just favor single coil pickups? I dunno, but articularly with Telecasters and single coil pickups, it's actually hard for me to find one that I can't make work for a variety of valid sounds.

Neck profiles and fret sizes are a personal. I like a beefier and wider neck than average, and I've come to like at least medium jumbo fretwire. I can live with the carve on most Classic Vibe Teles, though it's not my favorite.

Setup quality is going to vary off the rack. This is another reason to not just say "get this" and "not that" as two example of the "get" and "not" could reverse positions. Gibson scale instruments (shorter) vs. Fender scale instrument (usually longer) have a playability difference, with the nod going to the Gibson scale in playability. The lighter gauge strings most commonly used by electric players mask this difference to a degree however. Bolt-on necks make it easy to fix some very bad off the rack setups with shims, and while not trivial, swapping out a neck on an instrument using the Fender system is a plausible mod. Of the rack setup quality has improved in the 21st Century in my experience. You can still run into a high fret or two or the top of the neck "bump" in some necks in the lower range of instruments. How often you find this above $1000, I don't know, I just don't shop that level of electric guitar that often--I'd assume much less. But I don't want to make it sound like most current sub $500 electric guitars are an unplayable mess either. The most I need to do with what I run into is a slight tweak of adjustable saddle pieces after I string with my favorite strings.

Robustness? Cheaper switches can wear out. Some pots will not feel as smooth. Most solid body electric guitars make these parts easy to replace when it happens, and the parts are dirt cheap for those who can master basic soldering. I have 20 year old sub $500 guitars still using their original parts with no issues.

Particularly on a classic Telecaster design, you can't bust'em other than those simple electronic parts. Compared to even a carbon fiber acoustic, the cheapest Telecaster is "carried his guitar in a gunny sack" robust.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM

not sure why a yamaha fg800 has anything to do with it, but, you may want to go to your local big box store and play as many guitars as you can. when you find one you like, look online to see if you can get a better deal. if not, go back to the store. note that your amp will be about 40% of your sound.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Some of the better less expensive guitars I have played include-

Gretsch Electromatics
Fender Mexican mades
G&L Tribute series
PRS SE models

I am sure there are others but these are off the top of my head.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:13 PM

This depends on how much you have to spend. If you are going in a single coil direction, for $300 to $350 you can get a used Fender Standard Stratocaster (made in Mexico). Why settle for less and it's a real Fender Strat - says so on the head stock.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM

My gut reaction is Yamaha Pacifica due to the brand reliability and cost similarity to the FG800.

I almost bought a new one on a sale at GC, but instead purchased a used MIM Telecaster later for not much more. It turns out it was mispriced on the used rack and I saw it as the gear guy was coming to 'correct it' It was a smoking deal and even this beginner recognized it.

You won't get into electric for the same price as acoustic because you still have to pick up an amp.

I have been very satisfied for years with just a Telecaster and Mustang IIIv2 amplifier. Gig worthy, quiet practice, and plenty of options for tone chasing too.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM

G & L Telecasters..........
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 PM

Squier Affinity series Telecasters or Stratocasters would be my take on your question. These are consistently good quality, well done executions of the two iconic Fender models and compare very closely in price to your FG800 benchmark. Another option might be the Epiphone SG Special. Comparable cost to an FG800, simple, consistently good quality, and the neck width and profile is more familiar to an acoustic player just getting on board with electric guitars. The SG special VE is quite cool looking.

Last edited by gmr; 09-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM

The Squier Classic Vibe series. Vintage-correct copies vs the dubious changes made on the Fender Standard series.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
The Squier Classic Vibe series. Vintage-correct copies vs the dubious changes made on the Fender Standard series.
This was my thought exactly. Talk about guitars that punch way above their weight class.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 PM

I have a Pacifica 012 that over the years has been hot rodded and now sports Tusq nut and saddles, nickel jack plate, Schaller style straplocks, Duncan hotrails bridge pickup in the neck position, Bill Lawrence XL500 'bucker in the bridge and better tuners. It's a fantastic guitar. Paid $130 for it new. Probably have over $200 in extra parts but I would never sell it.

If you're after a 24.75 scale guitar, the Yamaha Revstar 320 is good too. I had one-got a deal top good to be true on it, have since sold it. As for other brands, I've always been drawn to the ESP LTD EC-256. In the way of strat copies, the Pacificas are quite good, especially if you spring for a 2, 3, or 4 series.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 AM

i think the pickups and type amp are nearly the whole sound- playability is a personal neck preference, i think with low end stuff, it's more to try them out rather then buy a name, i mean i bought a $15 pawn shop berhinger, after a freebie set up, this is my most played guitar, id never sale it for $100, though id NEVER get near $100 for it, i tried a lot guitars in this price range up to $150, but they never hit the sound and sweet spot like this one did
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM

I would recommend any used Reverend. I got one of these, a Reverend Jetstream 390, for $450 on the big auction site. Fantastic guitar. I love it so much I bought a second Reverend! ....a PA-1.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 09-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
This was my thought exactly. Talk about guitars that punch way above their weight class.
Consider that +1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars