The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-26-2017, 11:13 PM

Default Need Advice: Yamaha THR10 into a 1x8 cabinet

Hello everyone,

For a little DIY project I thought it would be fun to build a small 1x8 extension cabinet to use with my Yamaha THR10. I wired up an 8ohm guitar amp speaker to a mono input jack to test it out. But here's my problem: I didn't take into account that the headphone jack (the only non-usb out of the THR10) isn't strong enough to really drive the speaker... It works, it's just super quiet...

Any suggestions?

I don't think there's anything I can really do...but it was a fun project nonetheless and now I have a small cab for an actual amp head in the future.

Thanks

Last edited by kudama; 08-27-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Use some powered monitors...like the little desk top computer speakers. I've use some old bose, jbl's and have worked fine...in fact its what is used if I don't want to use my akg240 cans. But you will need to get an adapter to go from 1/4" to rca or maybe 1/8...depends on the powered computer spkrs. A bonus is that you can use both spkrs and get some depth of field.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:26 AM

Get a small amp (I know it seems redundant, but it is necessary) to drive the speaker. Go from headphone out to the auxiliary amp's input with the appropriate cable, and use the amp's speaker out to run the speaker.

I use my THR5 as a "preamp" all the time by putting it in front of another amp. As long as the amp/speaker combo you use has a good clean signal, you'll be fine.

If you went with something like this: https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...pply--310-3000
you would use a stereo 1/4" to dual phono cable to get the signal to the amp. Then you'd either use only one of the speaker outs, or go with a dual voice coil speaker.

Best of luck whichever route you go.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Get a small amp (I know it seems redundant, but it is necessary) to drive the speaker. Go from headphone out to the auxiliary amp's input with the appropriate cable, and use the amp's speaker out to run the speaker.

I use my THR5 as a "preamp" all the time by putting it in front of another amp. As long as the amp/speaker combo you use has a good clean signal, you'll be fine.

If you went with something like this: https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...pply--310-3000
you would use a stereo 1/4" to dual phono cable to get the signal to the amp. Then you'd either use only one of the speaker outs, or go with a dual voice coil speaker.

Best of luck whichever route you go.

Exactly what he said.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll see what I can find.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars