The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Refinishing old acoustic

Hello..I recently picked up a 1978-1979 Yamaha FG-335 acoustic. It had a bulging bridge, and a terrible attempt at being refinished. I fixed the bulge and sanded most of the crappy finish off..I'm going to leave the neck and head stock natural mahogany and just oil it. I would like to clear the body tho. I'm leaning towards lacquer...I plan to buff it afterwards...I am curious if the lacquer will be ok as far as adhesion goes...I'm not sure if poly or cellulose would work better...any input or suggestions are welcomed...thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenian View Post
Hello..I recently picked up a 1978-1979 Yamaha FG-335 acoustic. It had a bulging bridge, and a terrible attempt at being refinished. I fixed the bulge and sanded most of the crappy finish off..I'm going to leave the neck and head stock natural mahogany and just oil it. I would like to clear the body tho. I'm leaning towards lacquer...I plan to buff it afterwards...I am curious if the lacquer will be ok as far as adhesion goes...I'm not sure if poly or cellulose would work better...any input or suggestions are welcomed...thanks
Someone else with more experience will be along shortly, but in the meantime...

I actually find necks and headstocks pretty straightforward, as you can layer up finish on the neck without worrying about degradation of tone, which means you dont need to worry about pores etc.

I've recently had an issue with spraying nitro lacquer over a different finish (I think poly) and had issues with checking and witness lines. I ended scraping it all off and starting fresh - much better results. There's a steep learning curve for finishing, but definitely something that can be achieved with patience. If you can spray nitro, I think it is easier as a first go because successive coats 'melt' into each other.

Best of luck
Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 PM

The reality is, you can paint it in anything you want and it will pretty well stick if you start with clean wood.

The question is more, what type of finished appearance are you after.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair