The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast
Default Ultimate-guitar.com App

Has anybody used this app on their iPhone 4s?
It does seem to be a good source for reference in learning new songs, and more user friendly to have on phone than having to look up songs on computer.
It seems they cull out some of the less accurate tabs also, posting a lesser (though still wide ranging) number of arrangements, which also makes it easier to use as you don't have to waid through to lesser ones.
Any thoughts on others experience are appreciated.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultim...357828853?mt=8

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm a hack strummer who picked up the guitar 18 months ago. The Ultimate Guitar App has been my single greatest resource for finding and playing songs. I have dozens, maybe hundreds of songs on my phone, and now my ipad, and I keep it on my knee while I play. The chords aren't always correct, and the lyrics aren't always right, but for what, 99 cents? a buck?, it's probably the best guitar related investment I've made. Especially when you consider that a tab book at Guitar Center will run you $10-20 bucks and will not contain nearly as many songs.

Another good way to use this app is to expand your chord vocabulary. For example, if you know D, G, and A, but you find one song that throws a Bm in the chorus, then you've got an opportunity for light Bm practice. Once you've mastered that chord, move on to songs that are heavy on Bm, and that now include an occasional F#m. And so forth.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 PM

PS. The chord charts for every song are star rated. If you don't want to wade through them all, it generally works well to study only the five- or four-star charts. Then you can add the charts you prefer to your favorites list and not have to search again. Finally, you can make your own lists, such as "Songs I play really well," or "Songs I am learning to play" or "Songs that will make my wife less angry that I am playing the guitar all day."
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I've used this app several times. Quick and easy... Well worth the $

JR
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Don't have a smartphone anymore but I had it on my android phone. Definitely the fastest and easiest way to look up chords on the go. Also viewing the chords in the app is much easier than it is in a web browser as you have full screen, the screen doesn't turn off, and you can even auto scroll.

The tuner and chord library are alright but the best part of this app is being able to quickly find the chords or tab for a song.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM

My favorite guitar app for checking out chord progressions of new songs I'm interested in learning.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM

So why not just use your browser and go to Ultimate Guitar, what does the app provide beyond what you get for free from a a browser?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
So why not just use your browser and go to Ultimate Guitar, what does the app provide beyond what you get for free from a a browser?
The app is laid out in a manner which makes it much more user friendly than the actual website. You're basically paying for ease of use. Everything on the app is sized to fit a smartphone whereas if you were to use your phone's web browser, youd have to zoom in to read the tab. There are no pop ups or advertisements on the app but there are on the website. Also the app gives you the option of organizing and arranging all of your favorite tabs. As far as I know the browser version doesnt allow you to do this. Definitely worth the $1.99 that I spent on it.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
They've also installed a really annoying hijack page, so if you go to the website you first have to click through an ad for the app.

UG provides a lot of good services, and they actually pay a licensing fee for their tabs, so it's not the worst thing in the world to throw them a couple of bucks. But I freakin' hate those hijack sales pages.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
UG provides a lot of good services, and they actually pay a licensing fee for their tabs, so it's not the worst thing in the world to throw them a couple of bucks.
That's reason enough to pay the $2.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write