The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Humanist

Default Woolson Road Trip guitar arrives...MP3 files and more...

As you folks may know, Paul has sent off his recently built double-top/double-back LG model as a road-trip guitar...and I was fortunate enough to be first on the ship-to list.

This LG is a very well-crafted guitar...I was going to say "little guitar" (LG = little guy, I think), but I stopped myself! Compared to the Larrivée parlor I've been playing it is quite a beast (at just 14" across the lower bout)...and with the much longer scale length, as well. Lots of nice detail touches, the stylized "S" at the tailblock/endpin area, the multi-piece neck, single lines of wood purfling on the sides and back (and fingerboard), fingerboard extension, wide wood rosette, etc. Very nice work.

It's what I expected, since Paul's reputation as a fine craftsman/artisan preceded him.

http://www.woolsonsoundcraft.com/

I believe that this was Paul's first "take" on a double-top construction, and the double-back was something I hadn't expected.

Tonally it is an interesting creature, and a good example, I think, of the possibilities for double-top construction. Tons of dynamic range, with a pure, responsive tone from quietest to loudest playing. My G string to B string test (playing the same note values, all fretted) provided me with good data...I didn't have to work very hard with my right hand to get a similar tone from these same notes on the different strings. This is an important test for me, since B strings are usually pretty gnarly...so if I play a series of three notes (all fretted) on the G string, and then duplicate those same note values on the B string (again, all fretted), then I get a good understanding of how smooth this guitar will sound when transitioning across the strings...the G to B transition is the most difficult while trying to maintain good tone. The LG did well on this test!

Did I mention that I am doing this all in DADGAD? Okay, that's the scoop.

Strong, smooth tone from the trebles, and a fairly balanced bass response, with the bass being focused (as it should be) rather than flabby. It's not perfectly balanced across the fingerboard, but there are no wolf notes anywhere on the neck, and it's a comfortable guitar to begin to play repertoire on, without too much adjustment.

The one MAJOR adjustment is that I have only played on a 24" scale guitar for the last month or so, and this guitar is a full 25.5" scale. Yow, I have to be very careful to not exacerbate my wrist tendonitis by playing too much.

I recorded two quick pieces, "Farewell To Tarwathie," with a version slightly different than what I recorded on my first CD, and then I did a piece called "40 by 40" which I learned off of my upcoming (3rd) album. I added just a hint of reverb, with no EQ or compression.

Please forgive any notes that sound less than pure...it's not the guitar, it's me trying to get each note fretted properly, but having some difficulties due to the extraordinary change in scale length.

http://www.larrypattis.com/Woolson/F...lsonGuitar.mp3
( http://tinyurl.com/yq4usc if the link is broken)

http://www.larrypattis.com/Woolson/4...lsonGuitar.mp3
( http://tinyurl.com/2y9xaf if the link is broken)

Okay, I think the guitar will be headed to CA next...so some lucky soul gets to lay their hands on this guitar after me.

Thanks to Paul for being willing to do this, and also to have approached the double-top construction with such enthusiasm.

Excellent...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-19-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful playing!

And the git-tar? Yeah, yeah, it does sound pretty...... even if I do say so myself. ya did good, Paul!

Thanks for letting us take a listen. (Did I miss pictures of this one some where along the way?)

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Humanist

Thanks for this, Mary.

I should have mentioned that the guitar is Cocobolo back & sides, along with a top of Cedar (exterior) and Lutz Spruce (interior).

Yes, Paul did good.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry...
What a treat to hear you play, and thanks for the review too.

I've only had the opportunity to play a couple examples of double tops, and this one sounds stellar on the recordings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Larry...
What a treat to hear you play, and thanks for the review too.

I've only had the opportunity to play a couple examples of double tops, and this one sounds stellar on the recordings.

Thanks for this, Larry...the playing was actually pretty ragged, since I haven't played a 25.5" scale guitar for more than 2 minutes in over 4.5 years...but as you noticed, the guitar has a wonderful tone, and as a player that accounts for a lot!

It's fun to play on a guitar that inspires you...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM

really like that 2nd song. beautiful sounds and that guitar seems to fit your playing like a glove....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Great stuff Larry, very nice. I was over to Paul's website and there was nothing about double tops or backs, so is this guitar a prototype of sorts? The guitar sounded great too.
Martin dm 112
Carvin h2 holdsworth

Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.
Albert Einstein
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G View Post
Great stuff Larry, very nice. I was over to Paul's website and there was nothing about double tops or backs, so is this guitar a prototype of sorts? The guitar sounded great too.
Rich, yes, this is a prototype of sorts. In that this is the first one I've built. Since, I've done 2 more and have commissions for 4 after that. So when I get off my duff, I'll get info about them on my website. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Thanks for this, Larry...the playing was actually pretty ragged...
Hi Larry...
We are all shaking our heads in shame at your sloppy and ragged playing...NOT!

May we all play so ragged.

Inspired is good...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Larry...
We are all shaking our heads in shame at your sloppy and ragged playing...NOT!

May we all play so ragged.

Inspired is good...

Ha!

That made me laugh (in a good way)!

I won't whine (too much) about feeling like the playing is indeed a bit ragged...but it truly was an interesting challenge (playing on a scale 1-1/2" longer than what I have grown accustomed to), and something that I really could only afford one chance at, without hurting myself!

I'm glad that Paul has decided to build in this fashion, and that his earliest efforts have turned out *so* very well...and also it is great that he was interested in a "road trip" guitar so other folks could get the experience...hopefully there will be more recordings from some other folks...

I guess we now have turned the screws on him, and he's got to update his website shortly!

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-20-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm getting excited. I got an e-mail from Paul today to verify my shipping address. Apparently I'm coming up soon on the list.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Humanist

The guitar is headed to the San Louis Obispo area on Monday...that's all I know!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 AM

Larry/Paul --

Wow. Beautiful playing, beautiful-sounding guitar.

If my playing was as ragged as that, Larry .... well, I'd give up my day job and play the guitar for a living!

Paul, the sustain and resonance -- not from reverb by the sound of it -- was just beautiful. Perfectly suited to Larry's excellent playing style. To what do you attribute it most on this particular guitar? More the double back, more the double top? More the wood combinations?

Many thanks to both of you guys!

Bill
Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 AM

Beautiful playing, and a lovely sounding guitar, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Greg
Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Franklin View Post
Larry/Paul --

Paul, the sustain and resonance -- not from reverb by the sound of it -- was just beautiful. Perfectly suited to Larry's excellent playing style. To what do you attribute it most on this particular guitar? More the double back, more the double top? More the wood combinations?

Many thanks to both of you guys!

Bill
I'm a big believer that ~90% of a guitar's sound is from the top. Back and sides only color the tone slightly. So what you are hearing is almost entirely the double top singing. One thing that was commented on a lot at LB's Jam in Atlanta was that the attack was extremely fast/sensitive. The player didn't have to wait for the sound to come out. It seamed as though it was filling up the room with no delay after striking the strings.
Alan, do you agree with that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion