The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-27-2023, 08:22 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Shure MV88+ Video Kit

I just purchased the Shure MV88+ video kit to use with my Android phone. Anyone else have this? What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV88+.jpg (14.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 03:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have one, used it once. I was transitioning to using finger picks and at the time I was trying out metal finger picks. Not a good result,

I'm going to try it again though. I don't know why anyone would want to see my mug while playing, but folks seem to prefer videos

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-28-2023, 07:31 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I am planning to dive into it a bit over the weekend. It seems like a pretty cool little unit and should be much better audio quality than the microphone on my phone.

I stumbled onto it from a tweet that Jason Isbell posted when asked what he uses when he's playing around. This was what he said works for him (though he said he gets them for free).
Old 04-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I am planning to dive into it a bit over the weekend. It seems like a pretty cool little unit and should be much better audio quality than the microphone on my phone.

I stumbled onto it from a tweet that Jason Isbell posted when asked what he uses when he's playing around. This was what he said works for him (though he said he gets them for free).
I needed a small table to be able to use it in my recording area so I ordered one from Amazon today. I'll set it up and give it a go. I've been eyeing some of the Zoom video recorders, but maybe this is probably better to start off with to see if I can even stomach videoing myself

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-29-2023, 01:59 AM

Default Shure MV88+ Video Kit

I have one and like it. The software is good and user friendly and the mic is a definite improvement on my iPhone mic.

I'd advise getting a longer cable than the one supplied so that you can position the mic closer to you and the phone further away when you are recording.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:58 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
I have one and like it. The software is good and user friendly and the mic is a definite improvement on my iPhone mic.

I'd advise getting a longer cable than the one supplied so that you can position the mic closer to you and the phone further away when you are recording.
Good suggestion. The short cable leaves no real options for placement. Though I did read elsewhere that there can be issues if you try to use a cable extension.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Shute Mv

I have one and really like it. Great for getting quick video and sound samples. I’ve actually made some nice takes. Use the Motiv Videoand Motiv Audio apps to fine tune your project. Yes, get a longer cable if you want to position the mic at different positions. Do not use an extension. Get a one piece cable. About 3’ is as long as you’re going find that works. I know there’s a lot better systems out there. But this is simple and works. I take it while I’m traveling and get some cool backgrounds in the video. Cheers
Old 04-29-2023, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Longer cable for Mv88

Let me correct myself. You can buy longer cables direct from Shure. I read on their site you can use up to 15’ and have it work. They’re a little speedy though. I have read some people having trouble with aftermarket cables though, so I would go though Shure. For sure!
Old 04-29-2023, 07:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I just purchased the Shure MV88+ video kit to use with my Android phone. Anyone else have this? What are your thoughts?
I have the mic itself AND the video kit, which I actually haven't set up yet. Both are for the iPhone.

The nice thing about the mic itself (when used with a long cable) is being able to have the sound you want, AND the video shot not be dependent on the mic location.

The sound quality is absolutely wonderful no matter how you slice it!

HE
Old 04-29-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
Get the longer cable, since this is key to a good recording. The optimal positions for camera and mic are completely different. The mic needs to be close, the camera farther back.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I just ordered a longer cable from Amazon. I'll report back after I receive it and test it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD