The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-23-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Suggestions for small External Computer Speakers?

Even though I have several pair of reasonable quality monitors, My computer desk is not set up for perfect playback listening positions. Far from it. So as a result, I use my Headphones 99.9% of the time for critical listening. And that is fine for now, as I am not in a mixing stage. And, I can be quite lazy sometimes....I do not want to take the time to turn on my Interface & power amplifier, or put on headphones, each time I want to listen back to a youtube video. Plus I like saving power.

My new Mac Studio, MI Max is the worst sounding speaker I have ever heard. Plus I have it set off to the side so the sound in not centered with the computer.
Oddly, my old 2012 Imac had a reasonable sounding speakers in it. There was something basic about what it did reproduce. It let me quickly evaluate some music content. Somewhat similar manner as to what a pair of Auratones was designed for. Not nearly as good as Auratones of course. However, I could hear a difference when comparing some processing plug ins. I look at as yet one more way referencing. After all, many people listen through those small built in speakers in their laptops. I want to hear what they hear as well.

So what I am looking for, is a small pair of powered-active speakers for use with my computer. Now when I say small, I want something that will fit on my computer monitor. And my computer desk is pretty crowded. Speakers that will have a reasonable midrange representation.

There is a pair of active Macie speakers that are One hundred dollars. But they are too large with an height 8 inches tall and 5 inches wide. They have good reviews, but even beyond the physical height & with problems, I wonder if they would also create a problem as they contain a tweeter? But that might not be a logical assumption on my part. I need something that would be 6 1/2 inches tall. However, I also just now realized that I could build a small platform and raise my computer one & one half inches. IF those Mackie speakers are my best option.

What I am asking is rather contradictory. I am asking for a lo-fi, small, inexpensive system that will still be relatively smooth and accurate in the frequencies it projects. Is there such a thing in today's world?

But again, if the Mackies are my best choice, I could always raise the Monitor so they will fit.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:02 PM

I have JUST the solution for you if you can adapt to the small difference in size that you request.

Presonus Eris 3.5 powered monitors, and they are shockingly good for a small desktop powered monitor:

My recent review of Presonus Eris 3.5 monitors

Check out the user reviews on these if you want further opinions on just how good these are for a $100 pair of small powered monitors.

My main mixing area has a relatively small desk, so I added a "bridge" that adds just enough extra width to place powered monitors so the tweeters will be at ear level, an important consideration. Here's a photo of the bridge with Eris 5s, but I've since cut it down even smaller to just fit the Eris 3.5s.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-23-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have JUST the solution for you if you can adapt to the small difference in size that you request.

Presonus Eris 3.5 powered monitors, and they are shockingly good for a small desktop powered monitor:
Excellent suggestion! I will certainly give this a big consideration.
There several things that I like about these over the MacKie. A covered Tweeter cover, and woven material in the woofer, & even a volume knob on the front of the speakers.

Question: The Mackie could run off the Mac Studio headphone output. It comes with a mini to two rca wire connection. The MacKie also has internally the corrective impedance corrections from Headphone out to RCA in. I do not see this feature listed in the Presonus? How do you power you Presonus? Through the computer or through your interface? As I mentioned, I do not want to even turn on my interface.

? Still I am wondering if this is getting away from what I really desire...an even more lo-fi single midrange set up to emulate a reasonable computer speaker output? It could be one of those situations where what I think I need, and what I might actually need, may be different.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Excellent suggestion! I will certainly give this a big consideration.
There several things that I like about these over the MacKie. A covered Tweeter cover, and woven material in the woofer, & even a volume knob on the front of the speakers.

Question: The Mackie could run off the Mac Studio headphone output. It comes with a mini to two rca wire connection. The MacKie also has internally the corrective impedance corrections from Headphone out to RCA in. I do not see this feature listed in the Presonus? How do you power you Presonus? Through the computer or through your interface? As I mentioned, I do not want to even turn on my interface.

? Still I am wondering if this is getting away from what I really desire...an even more lo-fi single midrange set up to emulate a reasonable computer speaker output? It could be one of those situations where what I think I need, and what I might actually need, may be different.
The Presonus Eris 3.5s have RCA and 1/4" inputs on the back and they accept a wide range of devices with no problems due to impedance mismatch. I use them all the time with the headphone output from my laptop and my mp3 player.

Along with the front volume control there's also a power off-on switch on the right side of the speaker that contains the power amp section. The speaker with the power amp has an A.C. line plug for plugging into your wall receptacle.

The front mounted power switch is another one of the features I really like about these. You don't have to reach around back and blindly feel for the power switch and you can turn them off or on without any need for your computer or interface.

I'm not following why you want a lo fi monitor. Almost any $10 set of computer speakers will give you that, no need to spend more than that. I have to listen to enough things like that in life and it wouldn't be anything I'd want to listen to on purpose.

If your thought is you want to hear it like anyone who streams your stuff might, good luck. What users on the other end have stuck in their ears varies too much to make any assumption. IMHO it's better to make things as good as you can on your end and let the listener muck it up all by themselves.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-23-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:59 PM

Just to be clear, these speakers will take the output from my Zoom H2 recorder? A little off topic with this, but, Rudy< where did you get that desk/workspace table?
Old 02-23-2023, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The Presonus Eris 3.5s have RCA and 1/4" inputs on the back and they accept a wide range of devices with no problems due to impedance mismatch. I use them all the time with the headphone output from my laptop and my mp3 player.

I'm not following why you want a lo fi monitor. Almost any $10 set of computer speakers will give you that, no need to spend more than that. I have to listen to enough things like that in life and it wouldn't be anything I'd want to listen to on purpose.
Thank you so much for clarifying that the Presonus will work with headphone out. That would be a must for what I want.

As for why I would want the Lo-fi of a computer speaker?...well my Mac Studio MI Max speaker is not like any other I have heard. It has big frequency-jutting problems. Unlike anything I have heard from other computer speakers. My old Imac was smooth. It is of the same concept as to why people use Auratone speakers. They want to make sure that their mix comes across in automobiles. Most anything sounds good if you listen to it at loud levels on good speakers. Different story on small speakers and low levels. I want to make sure it comes across on normal computer speakers. (my old Imac speakers were better than other computer speakers I have listened to). So instead of Car speakers, I am also wanting it to be reasonable on computer speakers. In an ideal referencing system I would have top of the line monitors, Medium grad monitors, Auratones and computer speakers.

So what I have to decide is where is where I draw the line for Lo-Fi listening. The Presonus may very well be perfect for what I need. But always good to have many options for the best end decision.

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 02-23-2023 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Just to be clear, these speakers will take the output from my Zoom H2 recorder? A little off topic with this, but, Rudy< where did you get that desk/workspace table?
Absolutely will work fine. Your H2 has a 3.5mm stereo output and the Presonus Eris 3.5s even come with the correct patch cable to route the H2 3.5mm headphone output to its RCA inputs. They also ship with a 3.5mm stereo patch cable to plug directly into the front jack if you want to use that method of cvonnection.

I'm using my Presonus Eris 3.5 powered monitors right now with my Tascam DR-05 handheld recorder.

My small desk is something I built many years ago. I've modified it 3 or 4 times as my needs changed. It is made from oak veneer 3/4" plywood and has served me well.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-23-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:25 PM

Thanks, Rudy. I'm gonna order a pair right now. Really like that desk, looks like I got spring time project after the shop thaws out.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Smile Micro Monitor

I use the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor and they are amazing. I am a long-time audiophile and very particular about sound. These speakers are simply amazing for their size. I use them with a laptop and Audioquest USB Dragonfly DAC.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...-micro-monitor

Here is one review:
https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/i...d-micro-review

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-25-2023, 02:08 PM

I have the Eris 3.5s sitting right here in front of me. The price and size were right. I bought them for those reasons plus the strength of many reviews -- though there are also a minority of reviewers who rate them poorly for scooped mids.

I was surprised to find that when I got them, I agreed more with the critical reviews. I do not love these speakers, but I also don't dislike them enough to return them and start over, or to spend a bunch more money and figure out how to put bigger speakers on my computer desk.

To me, they are fine for casual listening, particularly given the size and price. I am skeptical of using these speakers as true budget monitors where accuracy is important.

I also highly recommend reading this detailed review, which includes setup tips. The reviewer also compares them to the Mackie CR3-X -- which he seems to prefer in some ways.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...00-pair.23388/
Old 02-25-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Thanks, Rudy. I'm gonna order a pair right now. Really like that desk, looks like I got spring time project after the shop thaws out.
Here's the newest iteration of the desk with the Presonus Eris 3.5 monitors to give you a better idea of how it is organized.

The upper bridge is shorter in both height and width. I just upgraded to a "new to me" refurb $125 PC with a 500 gig solid state drive and Windows 10. The PC is smaller than my old Windows 7 machine and it does everything I need it for. It is used for audio / video editing, CAD drawing, and occasional word processing needs for really long projects.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Even though I have several pair of reasonable quality monitors, My computer desk is not set up for perfect playback listening positions. Far from it. So as a result, I use my Headphones 99.9% of the time for critical listening. And that is fine for now, as I am not in a mixing stage. And, I can be quite lazy sometimes....I do not want to take the time to turn on my Interface & power amplifier, or put on headphones, each time I want to listen back to a youtube video. Plus I like saving power.

My new Mac Studio, MI Max is the worst sounding speaker I have ever heard. Plus I have it set off to the side so the sound in not centered with the computer.
Oddly, my old 2012 Imac had a reasonable sounding speakers in it. There was something basic about what it did reproduce. It let me quickly evaluate some music content. Somewhat similar manner as to what a pair of Auratones was designed for. Not nearly as good as Auratones of course. However, I could hear a difference when comparing some processing plug ins. I look at as yet one more way referencing. After all, many people listen through those small built in speakers in their laptops. I want to hear what they hear as well.

So what I am looking for, is a small pair of powered-active speakers for use with my computer. Now when I say small, I want something that will fit on my computer monitor. And my computer desk is pretty crowded. Speakers that will have a reasonable midrange representation.

There is a pair of active Macie speakers that are One hundred dollars. But they are too large with an height 8 inches tall and 5 inches wide. They have good reviews, but even beyond the physical height & with problems, I wonder if they would also create a problem as they contain a tweeter? But that might not be a logical assumption on my part. I need something that would be 6 1/2 inches tall. However, I also just now realized that I could build a small platform and raise my computer one & one half inches. IF those Mackie speakers are my best option.

What I am asking is rather contradictory. I am asking for a lo-fi, small, inexpensive system that will still be relatively smooth and accurate in the frequencies it projects. Is there such a thing in today's world?

But again, if the Mackies are my best choice, I could always raise the Monitor so they will fit.

Take a look at the JBL 104-BT. It was my "Find of the Week" on today's Production Expert Podcast (the one about mic polar patterns).

Wolf in sheep's clothing kind of product. It punches well above it's weight class. I bought a pair for my son & was really impressed. Now my wife wants a pair for the kitchen...

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-01-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
I use the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor and they are amazing. I am a long-time audiophile and very particular about sound. These speakers are simply amazing for their size. I use them with a laptop and Audioquest USB Dragonfly DAC.
I'm going to have to pile on with this recommendation.

An engineer and producer in the studio we recorded our last CD had just gotten these. After listening for a few days I bought them for my partner.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-03-2023, 04:37 PM

I have the Eris 3.5s, bluetooth version, so I don't need to connect more wires.

LOVE these speakers! They are tiny but punch way above their size with clear, balanced accurate sound. Accurate sound was important to me. Lots of reviews read. No negatives.

As simply computer speakers, for their size, I can't imagine wanting anything more. I wanted the maximum quality for the minimum amount of space loss and these are on target.

You can get the Bluetooth version (highly recommended) for a $100-110 at the time I bought last year--but I had to search around a bit. They were more commonly $140-150, but price fluctuates.

They have been one of the best purchases I've made ever. Love the features--love the sound.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I have the Eris 3.5s, bluetooth version, so I don't need to connect more wires.

LOVE these speakers! They are tiny but punch way above their size with clear, balanced accurate sound. Accurate sound was important to me. Lots of reviews read. No negatives.

As simply computer speakers, for their size, I can't imagine wanting anything more. I wanted the maximum quality for the minimum amount of space loss and these are on target.

You can get the Bluetooth version (highly recommended) for a $100-110 at the time I bought last year--but I had to search around a bit. They were more commonly $140-150, but price fluctuates.

They have been one of the best purchases I've made ever. Love the features--love the sound.
Glad you like them. I have other Bluetooth speakers and headphones so I opted for the wired version. The Bluetooth versions can be a great choice if you don't already have that function in a small portable monitor.

There have been other great suggestions in this topic, but we do have to keep in mind that the OP was looking for alternatives to Mackies around their $100 price point. The other "better" small monitor suggestions come with a higher price tag, so we have to factor that in. There are many folks who are looking for bargain monitors that aren't looking to mix professional audio and want to stick to that $100 and under expenditure.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-12-2023 at 02:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD