The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Not disputing your POV, but have you considered that the owner may not be deliberately ignoring you, but may have passed away, or be long-term sick, or otherwise detained/indisposed, and unable to communicate with you?
Yeah I did and I reached out everywhere as much as I could. This was a repair through one of the few music shops I was working through back in the day too so I thought surely someone would come through. I think what happened was that it was a student who graduated and left town. I live in a university town and it's not the first time something like this has happened but usually they leave behind real junkers. This was actually a nice guitar but badly damaged and I assumed he thought it was not worth it.

BTW I once was building two bass guitars, a 5 and a 4 string for a guy who put down a deposit, bought all the wood and the hardware and simply disappeared off the face of the earth. I was in regular communication with him too, till one day... gone. And I mean gone! Again after 5 years I decided to finish the bass and now the bass player in my band uses it.

These things happen.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

They certainly seem to, all very strange - the 'Marie Celeste' occurrences of the guitar-world!

Oh well, two 'free' instruments can't be bad!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I've only ever had one guitar refinished and it took over a year for mine too. I find its best to not pester these people at times. They are usually doing the best they can and most of the time they are good a finish work not a being small business owners. Good luck.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Have any of those parading with torches noticed that the OP never reappeared to tell us what his original agreement was?

It has been suggested that the tech may be dead, or sick. Lots of things are possible. Maybe the tech is a crook. Maybe he is a procrastinator. Maybe he changed his phone number. Maybe he has a bunch of paying jobs and keeps putting off one that is prepaid. Maybe when he took the job he said something like, "I'm swamped with work and I can't say when I'll get to it--it could be a while. Is that OK?" Maybe he did not ask the OP to pay in advance, but the OP said something like, "I have the money now and I'm not sure if I'll still have it when the guitar is done, so let me pay you now." I've seen that quite a few times.

We don't know.
Yes, the OP is gone. I wonder what the outcome was?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion