The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2023, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Sorry for not being clearer. I linked to the new SSL12+ which has four mic inputs and an ADAT in.

I wish I could easily trade "up" to the SSL12+ as I'd like to be able to record guitar in stereo as well as vocals at the same time.

Plus, it has a power switch :-) (and a few other upgrades from the SSL2+)
Thanks. I think I know which one you mean (there’s an SSL 2+ and an SSL 12 — you mean the latter).

Yes, the 4-input one does look appealing, with its four distinct phantom power switches. But it’s always something: I really value a mix control between tracking and playback. Seems like a simple thing to do. Or does this have one that I missed?

Another tantalizing feature (though one I doubt I’d ever use) is the ADAT, which promises future expansion possibilities.

USB-C connector suggests it won’t be obsolete soon.

I guess we need to step up to the $500 level to get four built-in mic preamps.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 04-25-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
This looks intriguing. Good price point, and the review is favorable.

It uses the same USB as the AudioBox. That is gradually being superseded by USB-C or Thunderbolt, so I wonder if it will be old tech next year. At the same time, I don’t have any latency or processing issues using that connector now, so should that even be a consideration?

How do you use it? Have you ever used four mics at once? And do you need to use phantom power on all inputs or no inputs?
USB is backwards compatible, so the only thing you might need for USB-C is a port adapter. With only four channels I'm not sure how much of an advantage USB-C or Thunderbolt will give you. I've recorded as many as nine channels simultaneously with my XR18 mixer, which has a USB 2 interface.

I've only used three inputs at a time on my UMC404HD. As far as four mics go, since it uses an external power supply four condenser mics needing phantom power shouldn't be a problem.

Phantom power is all or none. That shouldn't be an issue, since the only mics that are susceptible to damage from phantom power are some older ribbon mics.

Hope this helps.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 04-27-2023 at 03:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD