The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Default X-mad gift tascam digital recorder

My 15yo plays guitar and is dabbling in recording...

I am over my head here...

He uses the home iMac... But would like to allow him to get out of the living room and if possible allow him to use his iPhone or iPad...

I am trying to figure out what to get

Dr05
Dr07
Dp008
Dr40
Dr22

Help
As I am in over my head here...
I can play a few notes and a few chords.... But in no way think I can play!

He can and I like to support him in his playing....

Last edited by Slasher; 11-28-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't use an iPhone.

Here's a good article about iPads.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2459...ng-studio.html

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-29-2014, 04:58 PM

I have the Tascam DR07 mkII and really like it. It's a nice recorder that I use to make mp3s and send them to my teacher. Easy to record and uplaod to my computer and then email.

The DR 05 is on sale at Amazon and it comes with a $25 rebate, a great deal! The only difference is the mics on mine with go to xy config and I can overdub. If I did it over I'd just get the 05. I may get into overdubbing but I doubt it, I just use it to listen to myself play and send to my instructor for feedback. My instructor uses the 05, I don't think the mics make that big of a diff for what we do with it.

If you think he's really going to get into recording you'd be better off gathering more info about the more powerful ones. If you think he'll just dabble and record himself playing and lectures and such the DR05/07 is fine.

Wanted to add that I did use my iPhone for awhile. It sounds good and I could email it directly from the phone, very convenient to not have to open computer, upload, and then email but not a deal breaker. Again, I just used it to send progress recordings to my teacher and record workshops and such.

Last edited by Taylorplayer516; 11-29-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Add iPhone thought
Old 11-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Talking Thanks Taylor Player

I have no idea where he will go... A 15 y.o. Boy is unpredictable.

He has mostly recorded himself to hear how he plays... Although he also has recorded a base track and then dubbed the other guitar tracks on top... Just so he could document his level at the time... But he struggles with the rest of the family and pets living their own lives while he is trying to record...

I am sure the acoustics aren't the best either.... So he could try different rooms and places...

We aren't talking about cutting a cd here.... But something to free him from the iMac, so he can play around without everyone interfering.... Like his lil brother and sister....

He can mix or whatever easily in the living room on the iMac later...

I appreciate it....
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM

I would get him at least the DR07 then if he's already overdubbing. Both Tascam and Zoom have higher end stuff with multiple channels and such but you're talking a few hundred dollars now.

As you said he's 15, I'd get him the Tascam and see what happens. He can always trade up later if he gets into it and it'll be a handy recorder for lectures etc in the future.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Oh yeah.....sorry for the multiple posts.

If he/you has an iPad the app Loopy is great for overdubbing and all kinds of cool things. I saw Jimmy Fallon demo it a couple of times. It's pretty fun to use, I made a recording for my mandolin teacher with the melody and both harmonies in just a few minutes messing around with it. I think if I actually took some time to learn how to use it it'd be loads of fun.

It's certainly cheaper than the recorders were taking about. I even think you can get pedals to attach to the iPad to work with it but with the quantize and delay feature I sat on the couch with my mandolin and made the recording in less than five minutes the first time I tried it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD