The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 AM

Default Info on Greco Archtop

Anyone got info/opinions on Greco arch tops. My son is looking at one its a copy of a Gibson Es 175. I believe it's made in Japan and could be a "Lawsuit" model but I'm not entirely sure about that. It certainly looks the part but I was wondering about performance. Thanks in advance
Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Those "lawsuit" guitars from the early-70's are generally quite well-made - in many cases far more so than the junk most of the American manufacturers were pumping out at the time - so as long as it passes the usual scrutiny you'd give any guitar you're good to go. Electronics on the earliest models are best described as adequate; if they've been maintained they'll still work every time and produce reasonable tone, but don't expect Duncan/Lollar/DiMarzio quality (Ibanez upped the ante in the late-70's with their Super 58/Super 70 pickups - nearly as highly prized in their own right as some of the American vintage stuff). If the price is right and everything checks out, I say go for it...
Old 11-28-2014, 05:27 AM

Appreciate your thoughts Steve. The young fella is going to buy it, he is pretty excited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops