The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Default Yamaha FG-461S mid-80's

Hi All,

I've owned this Yamaha FG-461S (made in Taiwan) since the mid 1980's when I bought it new from a guitar shop in Sydney. I believe it's a sitka top and EIR back and sides but don't know for sure.

It's been through a fair bit in in life and has the scars to prove it including a couple of serious dings. It survived dealing with some humidity problems when we lived in the tropics for a while where there were very distinct wet and dry seasons. The finish has started to cloud as well. The action is pretty high on it now and I'm guessing it needs a neck reset as when I put a ruler on the neck and slide it up to the bridge it hits the bridge by a few millimetres.

I haven't been playing this guitar for quite a while as I'm now exclusively playing a short scale. So I'm thinking of selling it and was after a bit of advice.

Firstly, does anyone know if these are worth anything these days (it was quite an outlay in my youth)?

Secondly, if it is worth something, should I be getting it all fixed up prior to selling or leave it up to a prospective buyer?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Cheers, Berf

Last edited by Berf; 05-13-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The clouding is typical of the Tai guitars. The neck is another issue. Did you adjust the neck? If it needs a reset you will sink more than the value of the guitar into it.
When the necks go high on the non custom shop stuff from the 80's they become beach guitars. The epoxy Yamaha used to attach the neck stops 90% of guitar techs from being interested
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
The clouding is typical of the Tai guitars. The neck is another issue. Did you adjust the neck? If it needs a reset you will sink more than the value of the guitar into it.
When the necks go high on the non custom shop stuff from the 80's they become beach guitars. The epoxy Yamaha used to attach the neck stops 90% of guitar techs from being interested
That era Yamaha, with the heavy finish, does make for an interesting neck reset. I've sawn through the heel, and converted to bolt-on; it's actually easier to control the finish cracking that way.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks for your feedback Yamaha Junkie and JLS.

Last edited by Berf; 01-09-2013 at 11:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion