The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now dry enough to handle, I took some more.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I really Luke the detail you added on the 'f'-holes - is that painted on? It makes a big difference to the overall appearance of the top (and a positive one), and it was totally unexpected until I went back through and noticed all the lines on earlier pictures.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
I really Luke the detail you added on the 'f'-holes - is that painted on? It makes a big difference to the overall appearance of the top (and a positive one), and it was totally unexpected until I went back through and noticed all the lines on earlier pictures.
Painted on? Bruce? I think not.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Painted on? Bruce? I think not.
Ebony inlay I suspect...
Old 02-07-2016, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, the notches are ebony inlays. It is quite a challenging move for me, but so would painting them on be, although most of that challenge would be philosophical rather than craftsmanship.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Lookin' Sharp!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 PM

So even the posted pictures don't do your amazing craftsmanship justice! Pretty soon people on here will be telling me the only way to really appreciate your work is to visit your shop...
Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is dangerous to visit my shop, especially if you can afford my work. Even if you cannot pull such a trigger, it would be delightful to give you the 6 bit tour. Surprisingly few forum denizens have been here, so while you wouldn't be the first, you could still be something of a pioneer. Even with a perfect connection, it is about 13.5 hours of flight to SFO. Maybe there is something more direct by now, but I had to go from Wellington through Sydney. There are other reasons one might visit the San Francisco Bay Area, I'm told.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 AM

We have a direct flight from Auckland now, but getting there adds a couple hours flight time plus the airport connection time. I try not to think about the cost of the flight or the time in the air, especially when I'm on the Auckland to LAX to Heathrow flight! I'd love to visit your shop, and if I'm ever in the Bay area it will be one of the few definite destinations for my visit.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am reading a collection of Peter Egan's Cycle World magazine columns from over the years called "Leanings", and last night I happened to read his account of an NZ tour. Very recommended and it's got me jonesing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I put a coat of Varnish on the JZ today and it looks MUCH better that the mere sealer did, don't you think? There is colored pore-filler on the neck, but not the cherry, and I am predicting they will come closer in color if not texture.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Bruce, this is looking really nice. I especially like your headstock design.

JR
Old 02-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

The black cherry is beginning to exhibit a rich beauty under the oil varnish finish which with time and light will continue to develop and darken over time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I put a coat of Varnish on the JZ today and it looks MUCH better that the mere sealer did, don't you think?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I got the second coat onto the JZ this morning, then rehearsed for a couple of hours with my Violin quartet. This afternoon I thicknessed the sides, bent one of them, and chose a back. Also, I glued the neck to the top and made a tail block which is now glued on as well.

The evidence:

Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

The JZ has its 3rd coat.

The Mulatta has the sides connected to the top.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I make an effort to keep track of who owns which of my guitars, and I keep that documented on "thelist" (click the logo in the upper left corner of my index page) in my website. Those instrument that I know to be for sale are in red, not just mine, but all. I think of that as a service to my customer base. I mention this because I know of four different pieces that changed hands in the last couple of days, which is the the most in the least time I recall seeing. I know of several other pending sales as well, which makes me feel the market is warming. I like the feeling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop