The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM

I lived in Europe for six years and always thought it was quite nice for guitars. I couldn't believe all of the great classical and flamenco guitar luthiers in Spain. And Ireland with Avalon, McKilroy, and Lowden. England with top notch builders, and Germany is no slouch either. And let's not forget the guitars coming out of Czechoslovakia.

I do hear the OP's point though, and do feel lucky that, comparatively, here in the U.S it's like a guitar supermarket.

And what's really great is that when we go to our local guitar store we're not shot at. Don't know where those comments are coming from.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardot View Post
Wow, isn't it so. I recently spotted a Yamaha FG-730S on CL for $150.00. Really? 150 smackers? I didn't bite.

After 10 days it was still there. So, I called. The lady says "I have two guitars for sale, if you buy them both I'll discount them." are you kidding me?

So, I went. The FG-730S was made in August, 2013. Yep, less than 1 month ago. It is literally brand new, not a mark on it. Discount price? $125.00.

New saddle, new strings, tango-bango, great guitar for the price of dinner and a movie.
I rest my case!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love living in Australia, and everything considered, I think it's probably the best country in the world to live in ATM, particularly the eastern, mid and North coasts. But, the chances of buying a very good, mature, 'name' guitar, at a 'reasonable' [read steal ] price, are limited. I keep looking, but time is definitely not on my side.
Again I reiterate, I'm not complaining, just making a point.
I gotta disagree with you man.....there are some crazy poisonous critters out there, and I have an unreasonable phobia of stuff like that! In all seriousness I would like to visit Australia some day, it seems like a pretty cool place.

It is pretty swell being in the US for guitar selection, even out in the sticks of Montana where I am I am 2 hours away from a stellar selection of the big three (especially Gibson, the store is in Bozeman) and my local has a decent selection of Martin and Taylor.

My guitars:
2006 Martin D16R
2013 Taylor 618e First Edition #98
2013 Taylor PS16ce
2013 Gibson AJ Custom
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseAdi View Post
I And let's not forget the guitars coming out of Czechoslovakia.
There is no such country as Czechoslovakia ....
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion