The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Default What's the best you can do?

So I have had the displeasure of selling numerous items recently, mostly through craigslist. All items are clearly priced. While I do get some offers, what I get far more is "What's the best you can do?".
So I politely explain that I do not negotiate against myself, and while I think the asking price is fair, I am never offended by offers.
Now, I get that the point often is to set a lower price via email, and then they will inspect and start negotiating from that new lower price point once they get here. What is surprising to me is the number of people who refuse to make an offer. With one guy, after five emails over three days, I finally said - "If you are afraid to make an offer, then why are you contacting me?"
He responded with "When you figure out what you'll take for it let me know".
Bizarre if you ask me. If you don't like the price, make an offer.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by Wengr; 08-16-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 AM

That is bizarre. Some people I'll just never understand how they're wired...

I mean, I understand their question is reasonable, as Todd states later in this thread, but why wouldn't they just make an offer after you invited them to?

Last edited by jhmulkey; 08-16-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
So I have had the displeasure of selling numerous items recently, mostly through craigslist. All items are clearly priced. While I do get some offers, what I get far more is "What's the best you can do".
So I politely explain that I do not negotiate against myself, and while I think the asking price is fair, I am never offended by offers.
Now, I get that the point often is to set a lower price via email, and then they will inspect and start negotiating from that new lower price point once they get here. What is surprising to me is the number of people who refuse to make an offer. With one guy, after five emails over three days, I finally said - "If you are afraid to make an offer, then why are you contacting me?"

Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Musical minimalist

On the other hand, it kind of simplifies the negotiation - in effect they are asking, "what's your bottom line" not wanting to negotiate themselves. At at that point, you tell them, then they decide whether it's something they want to pay.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM

'The best you can do' is sell at the asking price.

Never give away your bottom line because that's all you'll get. I recently advertised an item and a very nice guy came, took one look and handed me the full asking price. No quibble - just took him 30 seconds to decide. I was gutted, I might have got more!!

I jest, I was happy to get what I wanted and happy that someone respected the quality of my item.

YouTube
Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Default What's the best you can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post

Never give away your bottom line because that's all you'll get. I recently advertised an item and a very nice guy came, took one look and handed me the full asking price. No quibble - just took him 30 seconds to decide. I was gutted, I might have got more!!

I jest, I was happy to get what I wanted and happy that someone respected the quality of my item.

That's exactly what I do. What's the best I can do? Asking price. Do you have an offer? Let's start from there. I don't have time to play games negotiating against myself.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Guest4562

I had someone demand a lower price because he had to drive so far to get it. Not my problem.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
So I have had the displeasure of selling numerous items recently, mostly through craigslist. All items are clearly priced. While I do get some offers, what I get far more is "What's the best you can do".
It's a craigslist standard tactic–they're just trying to get the best price. You have the right answer. Only way I can think to try and account for it is to cover the problem in the ad, so you don't waste time answering such queries.

Inquiries asking "What's the best I can do" won't get a response. I am more than open to offers, questions, etc. but I won't be adjusting the price over email. Thank you for your interest!"

I've also had success with,

I've set what I think is a fair, aggressive price. This is a quality item much in demand. Offers kindly considered.

That seems to weed out the nonsense for me. You'll get fewer "leads" but they will be more "qualified" to put it in sales parlance.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post

Hi Ozzy, and all,this has been my experience as well. Maybe things are different in the USA.

I've advertised four items on e-bay -three were perfectly good guitars but only about £600-£750 each. None of the buyers quibbled.

Another guitar (My Eastman archtop) I put up for, I think, £1200. Good description, good pics, Not a tickle. Traded it to a dealer who sold it in a fortnight for £1899!

All of my ads were buy it now or make offer.

I suspect that maybe some there is a magic number over which people will no buy used ?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Only way I can think to try and account for it is to cover the problem in the ad, so you don't waste time answering such queries
That's assuming people actually read the ad. It amazes me how I get responses to emails that ask questions that were specifically and clearly answered in the email they're replying to.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
That's assuming people actually read the ad. It amazes me how I get responses to emails that ask questions that were specifically and clearly answered in the email they're replying to.
Yeah, there's that. I've done what I recommend above it and helps. A lot. Not going to cover everyone.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Give an answer that is completely off topic and through the other person for a loop, maybe even sing it to the person:

When you get caught between the moon and New York City
I know it's crazy but it's true
If you get caught between the moon and New York City
The best that you can do (the best that you can do)
The best that you can do is fall in love

This is from the song: Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) (From Arthur)
Michael Omartian, Christopher Cross

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-16-2017, 02:07 PM

I have just seen the other side of that coin. Earlier this week I went after a guitar on eBay which had a BIN price or best offer.

So , although the asking price seemed very fair, I made an offer, no response from seller in the allotted time.

OK, that first one was maybe a bit lowball, I made a better offer, quite near the BIN price. Still no response, offer time expired again...

Why ask for offers if you don't want to haggle a bit ? I really expected him to come back at me and maybe meet half way ...

Anyway, like I said the asking price was almost suspiciously reasonable and I might have just pulled the trigger at that if he hadn't asked for offers...

Someone else got it ("this item is no longer available" ) while I wasted all this time waiting for a response.

So that's cost me a CEO-7 of my own, or saved me the thick end of two grand, depending how you want to look at it ,,,,

'twas this 'un :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARTIN-CEO...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
On the other hand, it kind of simplifies the negotiation - in effect they are asking, "what's your bottom line" not wanting to negotiate themselves. At at that point, you tell them, then they decide whether it's something they want to pay.
Yep they don't want to negotiate themselves. But if I wanted to start at the bottom line, I would have put the bottom line price in the ad described as FIRM.
And I have done so on occasion, and have sometimes been asked what's the lowest I'll take just the same.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Humanist

I always tell people that ask for my "best price" that I have posted a price, and that I'm not going to negotiate against myself...and that they are more than welcomed to make an offer.

If my price is firm I would always state that immediately.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic