The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 PM

Been there many times but not recently. I haven't seen the new Visitor's Center yet.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Devil's Den is one of those places that receives considerable attention because of the name .
Seminary Hill , Round Top , The Peach Orchard and other sites were far more significant .
Along these line , you are not far from Shanksville . Like Gettysburg , it has changed appearance since the event that took place , but it plays a very significant role to me .
Hope to meet you soon enough . Bring gloves .
Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 PM

When you go again, try for arriving early when they open. They have registered/trained guides there ....only a few each day, who take you out on your own private tour. It's totally worth it! They are highly trained and really bring things to life......
The gentleman we had was retired military.....he actually drove our rental car in conducting the tour....about 3 hours as I recall....we'd stop and get out of the car at various points all around the entire battlefield.
Our guide was totally into what he was doing.....to the point of reading and studying places of the battle while actually sitting in those spots (after hours) to sense the enormity of what happened there. He was very humbled by these experiences and it showed in how he talked through the history of the place at that moment in time.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Gettysburg

50 years ago (omigod, that long?), i spent a summer there as a historian. If you can visit some of the hallowed spots, take your time and just sit there, letting your imagination wander and let history wash over and come alive for you. Gettysburg is one of those places where this can happen. Some amazingly bloody events occurred there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 PM

Are the cemeteries well maintained? The reason I ask is that I toured WW1 battlefields in France this summer and visited many war cemeteries. The respect shown to these men and women a hundred years later was so apparent in the beautifully maintained property. We should never ever forget the sacrifices.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 08-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Here's a tune both sides would have been playing in camp. If you were with the Union, you played the tune as "Seneca Square Dance" and if you were on the Confederate side, you played the tune as "Waiting for the Federals"

Musicians aren't going to waste a perfectly good tune over something like a war.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Guest4562

I have a friend who is a Civil War nut and has some sort of certification to do research on the subject at the Smithsonian. I went there with him several years back and it was like having my own personal tour guide. It was a great day, I had a really good time and learned much not taught in school.

But my question has always been, if these states wanted to leave, let 'em go. Why make a big deal out of it? His response was you can't apply twenty first century reasoning to nineteenth century problems. Maybe so.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
His response was you can't apply twenty first century reasoning to nineteenth century problems. Maybe so.
That's a very good observation by your friend. As I continue to read histories, I realize that our world has changed and our approach to solving problems (on the whole), less violent. And yes, this can easily be argued.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I have a friend who is a Civil War nut and has some sort of certification to do research on the subject at the Smithsonian. I went there with him several years back and it was like having my own personal tour guide. It was a great day, I had a really good time and learned much not taught in school.

But my question has always been, if these states wanted to leave, let 'em go. Why make a big deal out of it? His response was you can't apply twenty first century reasoning to nineteenth century problems. Maybe so.
From a legal standpoint, I think that question remains open.

At the time of the war, the South was producing one of the most valuable export products in the country, cotton. Secession would have left the Northern states without that revenue. They skirted the legal issue by considering the Southern states as being in a rebellion against the Union allowing the Union to respond in force to restore order. The Confederates saw the situation as sovereign states choosing to form a new union and a new country. Note that the South did not conduct military operations in Northern territory until well into the war. They saw their role as defending their newly declared borders, not fighting to control areas outside their borders.

Most people, particularly in the South, considered their primary allegiance was to their home state, not the federal government. All that changed after the war.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Gettysburg is a powerful place. It is enjoyable to just drive around the park and stop and visit all if the monuments recognizing the states that fought there.
My daughter and I enjoyed climbing the towers to get a better view of the battlefield. Devil's Den is worth visiting also.
The new, (just a few years old), visitor's center/ museum is very good and you can spend several hours there.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Devil's Den is one of those places that receives considerable attention because of the name .
Seminary Hill , Round Top , The Peach Orchard and other sites were far more significant .
Along these line , you are not far from Shanksville . Like Gettysburg , it has changed appearance since the event that took place , but it plays a very significant role to me .
Hope to meet you soon enough . Bring gloves .
I'll google Shanksville.
Gloves and picks
Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

At the time of the war, the South was producing one of the most valuable export products in the country, cotton. Secession would have left the Northern states without that revenue. They skirted the legal issue by considering the Southern states as being in a rebellion against the Union allowing the Union to respond in force to restore order. The Confederates saw the situation as sovereign states choosing to form a new union and a new country. Note that the South did not conduct military operations in Northern territory until well into the war. They saw their role as defending their newly declared borders, not fighting to control areas outside their borders.

Most people, particularly in the South, considered their primary allegiance was to their home state, not the federal government. All that changed after the war.

And from a moral standpoint, the issue of owning people as slaves.

It certainly helps your "valuable export" when there are no labor costs.

Last edited by EJWalker; 08-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:03 PM

I've been to Gettysburg several times. It's quite helpful to watch the movie before you visit the battlefield if you want to understand the sequence of the battle.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 08-17-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: removed off topic material, sorry
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Cotton was a valuable commodity, no doubt. Britain had recently (1833) outlawed slavery. Britain was the South's primary buyer for cotton. Parliament was already debating whether to severe ties with the South and to quit buying cotton from the US due to public sentiment against slavery there.

Trying to make the war about money is a revisionist history. It was about abolition of slavery. It was about whether we had a loose confederation of states or the federal government was primary.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

Having studied this extensively, I have never seen a remotely valid legal or constitutional argument for unilateral secession. The Supreme Court has consistently ruled against it. Certainly had they won, the rebellion would have set it's own rules. They didn't.

Per the topic, Gettysburg is a quietly impressive experience. I haven't been there in decades, but it left quite an impression.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic