The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Hunting down Bach Flute Partita Aminor BWV 1013 tablature

The Ana Vidovic recording is unreal, I'm hoping someone can steer me towards a tab that uses her fingerings. I've been on google and delcamp (not sure how to use that site), but not finding tabs (notations seem to be out there for different arrangers).

This is really a beautiful song I'm hoping to add to my life-long practice list.

Does anyone have a tab or can steer me in a good direction? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM

These are the only two tabs I could find, have no idea if they are representative of a good arrangement:

https://www.e-chords.com/tabs/johann...1013-allemande

https://www.ultimate-tabs.com/johann...-allemande-tab
Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 PM

The first three bars of the first example are accurate if you ignore the fact that the flute is an octave or two (or three) higher in pitch. Also, in the fourth bar the guitar should play the D below the low E. The tab gives the open D string instead. You could tune down to drop D but then the fourth fret G# would be on the sixth fret.

There are 47 bars in the first movement, some repeated and three more movements after that. It is quite some piece.

You can download the full score as a Musescore file from;

https://musescore.com/mike_magatagan...1013-for-flute

You have to register. If you have Musescore (free software for Windows, Mac or Linux) you can get guitar tab from it.

Edit, I forgot to mention that there is a sixteenth note rest right at the start.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 PM

I don't know the piece, but Musescore can translate notation into tab. You might check there. Edit: Oops, I see Stanron posted about this. I have devised a series of steps for the translation. PM if you need them.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I don't know the piece, but Musescore can translate notation into tab.
Does it really translate into playable tab, without editing? How does it know which position each note should be?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Does it really translate into playable tab, without editing? How does it know which position each note should be?
You are quite right. Musescore will give you the lowest fret option for each note on the highest possible string. You then have to 'pull' notes to lower strings to get the fingerings you want. If I recall correctly Sibelius worked in the same way. You click on the number on one string and pull it to the next and the fret number changes automatically. It's easy enough to do.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
You are quite right. Musescore will give you the lowest fret option for each note on the highest possible string. You then have to 'pull' notes to lower strings to get the fingerings you want. If I recall correctly Sibelius worked in the same way. You click on the number on one string and pull it to the next and the fret number changes automatically. It's easy enough to do.
You can limit the range for the frets before you make the tab, just like you can specify the tuning and number of strings. Limiting the frets works pretty well for most things and is much easier than changing each note. But it depends on the piece. A piece that is really out of range for a guitar should be transposed before making the tab and some are simply poorly arranged for guitar and you'd be better off translating just the melody and then adding harmony or something like that.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Last edited by SunnyDee; 08-03-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Ana Vidovic plays the following arrangement in the YouTube video you mentioned:
Arr. by Walter Despalj, and published by Chanterelle.

As Stanron pointed out, the original piece for flute does start with a 1/16th note rest. Predictably too, the guitar arrangement above which Ana plays is filled out with additional harmony notes and bass lines courtesy of the arranger. (e.g. a low A to start the piece and establish it in Am).
Unfortuantely, none of which is readily evident in those ASCII type TABs.
To try and piece this together correctly with such TAB only would be a real challenge imo.
I suppose you can give it a try if you really like the piece and have a good ear. Maybe combine the TAB with repeated listens to the video, or maybe find an actual performance to get a better feel for the notes. All the guitar arrangements are probably similar.
There's always the chance that future editions of the standard notation music will be accompanied by an equivalent TAB. I see that more and more lately, although this particular flute partita is not as well known as Bach's other works that are performed on guitar.
It's beautiful music though. No doubt. I can see why you would be drawn to it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Ana Vidovic plays the following arrangement in the YouTube video you mentioned:
Arr. by Walter Despalj, and published by Chanterelle.

It's beautiful music though. No doubt. I can see why you would be drawn to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The first three bars of the first example are accurate if you ignore the fact that the flute is an octave or two (or three) higher in pitch. Also, in the fourth bar the guitar should play the D below the low E. The tab gives the open D string instead. You could tune down to drop D but then the fourth fret G# would be on the sixth fret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I don't know the piece, but Musescore can translate notation into tab. You might check there. Edit: Oops, I see Stanron posted about this. I have devised a series of steps for the translation. PM if you need them.

Thanks so much you guys, i never new there was such a thing as the software to convert notation. Im a real novice, i can't get this tune out of my head but maybe I should just learn something else, or wait until someone arranges a tab from that score. Thanks for pointing out which one she uses. I'm surprised nobody has "tabbed" this to the quality of a Per Olov Kindgren arrangement.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Thanks so much you guys, i never new there was such a thing as the software to convert notation. Im a real novice, i can't get this tune out of my head but maybe I should just learn something else, or wait until someone arranges a tab from that score. Thanks for pointing out which one she uses. I'm surprised nobody has "tabbed" this to the quality of a Per Olov Kindgren arrangement.

There are a number of scores by similar names on Musescore. If you find one that you like, I'll attempt to translate it automatically to tab using various options without single note editing. We can see how it turns out. While choosing, you can play these online and they will sound wretched, but you should be able to pick one that is at least playing the piece you like. If you want to download Musescore, the playback will be much better. At least one has a guitar part included. https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?tex...+flute+partita

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Because my oractice time is so limited, ive decided on a few pete huttlinger arranged dadgad tunes, "tis so sweet to trust in jesus ", and si bheag si mhor. I think they flow well from out of one into the other, have strong melodies, and are beautifully thought out.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Anybody who knows how to do such a thing willing to tab this out?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:18 PM

This is arranged for classical guitar
Old 08-22-2017, 04:32 AM

Here are the first eight bars. At first sight this is easier than your first choice but I wouldn't call it simple.

The numbers to the left of the notes are for the fretting hand. Note they are numbers rather than PMI etc.
Code:
E╓─────────────────┬─────────────────┬─────────────────┬─────────────────┐
B╟─────────────────┼─────────────────┼─────────────────┼─────────────────┤
G╟─────────────0───┼─────────────────┼─────────────────┼─────────────────┤
D╟─2───────4───────┼─4─────2─2───────┼─2───────0─────0─┼─2───────────2───┤
A╟─2───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─2───────2───2───┼─2───────────────┤
E╙─0───────────────┴─5───────────────┴─0───────3───────┴─0───────────────┘

. .1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + .

┌─────────────────┬─────────────────┬─────────────────┬─────────────────╖
├─────────────────┼─────────────────┼─────────0───────┼─────────────────╢
├─────────────0───┼─────────────────┼─────0─0─────────┼─────────────────╢
├─2───────4───────┼─4─────2─2───────┼─2────2──────────┼─2───────────────╢
├─2───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─2───────────2───┼─2───────────────╢
└─0───────────────┴─5───────────────┴─3───────2───────┴─0───────────────╜

.1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + .

According to the score, the shape at the start of bar 2 should be done without the use of your first finger. This means the first finger can get the second fret notes whilst leaving the two lower strings still sounding.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Thank you so much stanron for doing this when I get in front of a computer I'll do my best to work this out and it will be a good start to figure it out the rest

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write