The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Along with that is why have high performance sports cars? You can't really drive them anywhere. You just drive around looking cool.
I assure you, an AMG Mercedes is infinitely more enjoyable to drive legally on an interstate than a Hyundai.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Drew Carey once told this story:
"Once I made the big time and was getting paid the big bucks, I bought myself a Maserati. The dealer told me it would go 180-200 m.p.h.
Shortly thereafter, I realized that living near Cleveland as I did, there was nowhere I could take advantage of what that baby could do. At first I was really dissapointed, but then I realized hey man, you're rich. So I had it shipped to Arizona and caught a flight to Phoenix after it arrived. I took my Maserati out into the desert for a couple of days and wheee!... I drove that rocket as fast as it would go.
I do that a couple of times a year now."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2017, 02:09 PM

That is one nice perk living in Germany.
My car won't do the 240 kph on the speedo, but it will roll at 170 kph fairly well (when traffic allows)

Various stringed instruments
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
In my case, I was on I64, right lane clogged and to my left was a steep embankment. I was, however, driving the Olds 4-4-2 I had at the time so there was no "racing" the emergency vehicles. When I dropped the hammer, they disappeared in my rear view and were 1-2 minutes behind when I was able to merge right.
Was your 4-4-2 new or fairly new when that happened or were you driving a 40-year-old Olds?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Along with that is why have high performance sports cars? You can't really drive them anywhere. You just drive around looking cool.
FYI some of us around here do "drive around looking cool" at those "unusable" triple-digit speedometer readings - legally:Done it myself on-and-off for the last 30 years, may go for a competition license and step up to the really fast stuff in the not-too-distant future...
Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Was your 4-4-2 new or fairly new when that happened or were you driving a 40-year-old Olds?
It was near new at the time. I couldn't afford one today, cost more than a new AMG Mercedes.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I assure you, an AMG Mercedes is infinitely more enjoyable to drive legally on an interstate than a Hyundai.
If I remember correctly, the highest speed limit on US 276 in North Carolina is 55 mph but driving along that highway in any sports car or sports sedan is far more enjoyable than in an Accent, Elantra, Sonata or Azera. Even if one ignores the speed limit on that road one wouldn’t be able to go faster than an Accent is capable of reaching on a level road. I had a great time on that highway in a roadster.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Speak for yourself if you don't mind. Do folks have high end guitars just to "be cool", after all a $400 guitar will make music?

When folks assign motives to strangers, in my almost 70 years on this planet, it mostly equates to jealousy. I have no clue regarding your purchasing decisions, and you have none regarding mine. I however won't presume to know your motivations, I don't, and it's none of my business.

I buy a new high performance luxury car every few years because I can, I really enjoy driving, in Texas there are fun places to drive, is that OK? My next car will be a high performance luxury electric.........

I also give a LOT to charity, volunteer, and enjoy "giving back" and helping those less fortunate. I'm grateful for my hard earned success and I share it.

This forum has changed over the years, too many "eat the rich" and "why isn't everybody like me" posts/threads.

End of rant, think I'll take a nice drive out to the country and buy some farm fresh produce, just for you I'll try not to "look cool".............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I personally don't think there is a problem with anyone buying a nice, fast car, even if the top end doesn't get used very often.

I managed a group of about 14 engineers at the manufacturing company I retired from recently and still work part time for. Our company did very well financially, and many of these engineers bought some pretty sporty cars -- hot Mustangs, a new Camaro, and the next most senior engineer bought a Dodge Viper. During the summer about every two weeks he takes a Friday off and takes his Viper over to a race track where he operates under the supervision of trained drivers. I'm not sure how that works and what the rules are because I have never gone with him, but he loves it.

Probably the most significant thing I have heard over the years from these guys is how good they feel, coming out of work and then firing up this cool car. That's worth a little money, assuming a person can afford it.

I think in different words, this is what Rich is referring to...

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Speed limit may be 70 but there's no law saying how fast you get there.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speed limit may be 70 but there's no law saying how fast you get there.
That's exactly right.

Until I wore it out, I used to drive a Lincoln LS with a very nice (over 300 HP) engine, and every time I entered the freeway on my way home after work, I floored that thing so I could hear that lovely engine run through the gears. What a great sound!

By the way, I did not wear out the engine, I just put 200,000+ miles on the vehicle and thought that was enough. I replaced that vehicle with a 4-cylinder Ford Fusion that gets over 30 mpg as I prepared myself for retirement.

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's amazing how people can take a simple statement and go negative with it.

FYI - I have had sports cars in the past and I raced around the freeways and back roads endangering people. I got over that. I thought about renting time at a race track and realized I didn't want to take a nice expensive new car and beat the crap out of it. That's when I got over sports cars. But I did look pretty cool in it :-)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
...the next most senior engineer bought a Dodge Viper. During the summer about every two weeks he takes a Friday off and takes his Viper over to a race track where he operates under the supervision of trained drivers. I'm not sure how that works and what the rules are because I have never gone with him, but he loves it.

Probably the most significant thing I have heard over the years from these guys is how good they feel, coming out of work and then firing up this cool car. That's worth a little money, assuming a person can afford it...
Depends on the track, type of racing, and sanctioning organization. Many tracks - drag racing facilities in particular - have "Street Night," "Race Your Ride," "Grudge Day," "Test-&-Tune," or some other such event dedicated to the Working Joe/Jane gearheads looking to push their daily drivers to the limit, without incurring the wrath of the local constabulary; if you've ever had the urge it's a great place to start - as long as you have a state-issued driver's license, current registration/inspection/insurance, and a helmet (some sanctioning bodies require Snell helmet rating, full-face construction, and possibly a fire jacket/suit and rollbar, especially if you've done some fairly common backyard tweaks and/or your car exceeds a given speed - check beforehand) you're good to go, and to go as fast as your machine (and your nerves) will permit...

As an on-and-off NHRA bracket racer for the last 30 years I'll be the first to attest to the good feeling you describe, but be forewarned - the need for speed is as much an addiction as GAS, and you may very well find yourself seeking out one of the professionally-run driving schools (such as I presume your friend is attending) to obtain a competition license in your chosen form of racing; should you not wish to invest the time/money ($10K or more for some top professional classes) several racing schools offer nominal-cost "experience" packages, that allow you to drive a professionally-prepared, competition-grade race car on a world-class track under the supervision of experts (present/retired drivers, pit crew, former sanctioning-body officials). IMO it's a great way to go (check out some of the clips on YouTube) - you get a taste of what it's all about and see if you're up to the challenge, without investing in a full-on race car and finding you're in over your head; I've already gotten the go-ahead from the domestic accounting department (a closet hot-rodder herself) to take one of these courses, and if all goes well I'll use it as a springboard to the NHRA Super Comp license I've had on my bucket list for years...
Old 08-19-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It's amazing how people can take a simple statement and go negative with it.

FYI - I have had sports cars in the past and I raced around the freeways and back roads endangering people. I got over that. I thought about renting time at a race track and realized I didn't want to take a nice expensive new car and beat the crap out of it. That's when I got over sports cars. But I did look pretty cool in it :-)
They see me rollin
They hatin

Old 08-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I never understood,flashy sports cars or what you guys call "muscle cars", but I think your last sentence sums it up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic