The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 10:50 AM

Default Gibson LG-2 vs Iris OG vs Yammie FS vs ??

Good morning/afternoon!

TL;DR: Are there any other LG-sized guitars I should consider besides the Gibby or Iris OG? ~$2500 new or used

I’ve played guitar semi-professionally for about 15 years and am more of an electric player, but have also always done singer/songwriter gigs on the side. I’ve always owned less expensive instruments since acoustic wasn’t my primary thing. Well I’m ready to buy my first nice acoustic.

A little about my experience and what I’m looking for.
I’m a small dude (5’3”) so larger guitars just aren’t comfortable for me to play. I’ve owned some dreads and such and despite loving the sound, I just don’t pick them up because of the size/weight.
After playing many guitars of all shapes and sizes over the years I’ve found that the Gibson LG shape has the best bang for my buck, or should I say has the best projection and balanced sound for the size. I’ve tried OM/OOO things and never bonded with them for some reason. I’ve also owned a few parlor-ish things that are much more comfortable and inviting to play, but are just a bit too boxy for my style, which is mostly light strumming and picking. Not too much finger style. I want something versatile enough to be my only guitar.

I currently have a Farida OT. It’s a good sounding guitar and is a decent quality guitar for the price, but it cost me about $500 new and feels like a $500 guitar. I’m ready for a step up in fit/finish as well as sound.

In a perfect world I’d buy an Atkin 47 or 19 but those are almost twice as much as what I’m willing to spend.

So here are the options I’m considering:

-Gibson LG-2 (vintage or reissue, American Eagle, B25?)
The obvious choice since this is the type and size that I know I like. I wonder if I could get a better guitar for the price though? Also want to avoid the thuddy, short sustain thing some Gibsons have. A cool sound, but not versatile enough to be an only acoustic.

-Iris OG
Seems like the natural progression of this size of instrument. Plus a new one is less than a new Gibson LG-2. I’ve played 2, one was fantastic and I should’ve bought it, and the other was really excellent but not quite as amazing.

-Yamaha FS (Red Label, FS16M, etc.)
Seems like a great guitar for the money and I know Yamaha’s are incredibly consistent. I’ve played a couple of the Indonesian Red Label ones and felt they were good, but not great. Would a Japanese one be a noticeable improvement?

-Emerald X20
Kind of a dark horse here. My brothers both have a travel sized X7 and my dad has the jumbo sized X30 and the quality and tone are definitely there. The X7 is too small sounding (though surprisingly pleasant and balanced for its size) and the jumbo is too scooped and bass heavy for me so I wonder if the X20 would be perfect. I do appreciate the utilitarian nature of CF guitars, but they also seem to lack the romance and excitement of a former tree guitar. Kind of a silly reason, but I think the more inclined I am to pick up a guitar because I love how it sounds AND how it looks and makes me feel, the more connected with the guitar I’ll be.

-Any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2024, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I really like that size and have a Farida OT-22W to scratch that itch. The Iris OG is a great guitar, but the neck can be pretty full. There doesn't seem to be a lot of similar size options that aren't higher dollar or more comparable to the Farida you already have. I will keep an eye on this to see what others with more knowledge recommend.

Out of curiosity - have you ever tried something in the L 00 size? Currently in the classifieds there is a Martin CEO 7 and an Atkin L 36. Also might search for an Eastman E10 00SSv - the SSv have a antique varnish finish that (IMHO) makes a big difference.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:26 AM

I have an LG-2 AE and have been happy with it.

Lots of features for the $$ back when.
(C2017)

Once in a bit it seems a bit twangy, but different strings can color the sound.
I have since added a OO-18 so a bit of redundancy…neither really separates from the other.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm a Gibson guy through and through (and also vertically challenged at 5'6") and I really like my LG2. I started with a Farida OT22W and it really made me want to get the real thing. I feel like the current 50's Reissue LG2 is a great bargain for an American made, solid wood guitar and mine just keeps getting better the more I play it. As you can see from my signature I have a lot more guitars than I need, but the one I'm really smitten with right now is my Taylor AD12e. It's a little smaller and thinner than my LG2 but it has that dry, woody kind of vintage sound that I love and it's a bit more bass heavy than my LG2.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-15-2024, 11:42 AM

Out of all my acoustics my Yamaha FSX5 gets the most playing time. Just a wonderful guitar.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 02-15-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I really like that size and have a Farida OT-22W to scratch that itch. The Iris OG is a great guitar, but the neck can be pretty full. There doesn't seem to be a lot of similar size options that aren't higher dollar or more comparable to the Farida you already have. I will keep an eye on this to see what others with more knowledge recommend.

Out of curiosity - have you ever tried something in the L 00 size? Currently in the classifieds there is a Martin CEO 7 and an Atkin L 36. Also might search for an Eastman E10 00SSv - the SSv have a antique varnish finish that (IMHO) makes a big difference.
The Farida’s are great for sure! I do like mine a lot.
I havent had a ton of experience with that body size, but the few I have played in that size are just a touch too boxy and “bluesy” sounding. They do sound excellent, but kind of feel like a bit more of a one trick pony. And obviously this matters less, but I also don’t love how they look with the two very different sized bouts haha
Old 02-15-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjohnson View Post
I have an LG-2 AE and have been happy with it.

Lots of features for the $$ back when.
(C2017)

Once in a bit it seems a bit twangy, but different strings can color the sound.
I have since added a OO-18 so a bit of redundancy…neither really separates from the other.
The American Eagle definitely seems like it can be had for the best price out of the main guitars I’m looking at. And I do like that it comes with a pickup already installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I'm a Gibson guy through and through (and also vertically challenged at 5'6") and I really like my LG2. I started with a Farida OT22W and it really made me want to get the real thing. I feel like the current 50's Reissue LG2 is a great bargain for an American made, solid wood guitar and mine just keeps getting better the more I play it. As you can see from my signature I have a lot more guitars than I need, but the one I'm really smitten with right now is my Taylor AD12e. It's a little smaller and thinner than my LG2 but it has that dry, woody kind of vintage sound that I love and it's a bit more bass heavy than my LG2.
Nice! Theres nothing like the real thing. Interesting about the Taylor, that wasn’t even on my radar since I don’t think I’ve ever played a Taylor that sounds “vintage” or “woody” in any way. I’ll have to see if I can track one of those down and give it a good strum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Out of all my acoustics my Yamaha FSX5 gets the most playing time. Just a wonderful guitar.
Is that the Japanese one? If so, how long have you had it?
Old 02-15-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric4682 View Post
Nice! Theres nothing like the real thing. Interesting about the Taylor, that wasn’t even on my radar since I don’t think I’ve ever played a Taylor that sounds “vintage” or “woody” in any way. I’ll have to see if I can track one of those down and give it a good strum.
Yeah Taylors are known for being "bright" and "sparkly" but with the new V Class bracing and alternate wood choices the AD (American Dream) guitars have a definite vintage vibe to them. My AD12e is spruce over walnut and sounds nothing like the '94 Taylor 710 that I've had for 30 years. Definitely worth taking one for a test drive.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-15-2024, 12:56 PM

My 2 guitars are a Gibson J15 and an Iris AB 12 fret. I’m 5’6 and am a stickler for comfort and full sound. Both of my guitars are very comfortable and sound great but are very different.
The j15 is about 6 years old now. It always sounded good but up until about a year ago was kinda thuddy with quick decay. I finally put mediums on it and it roars now. But it took a while to get there.
My AB 12 fret was a custom order that I received about a year ago. It has torrified Adirondack over rosewood. My initial order was an og because I wanted something comfortable. I play almost exclusively sitting. I realized I could get a bit more horsepower out of an AB and because of the tight waste it would sit pretty close to the same as an og on my lap. Went with the 12 fret neck which in theory provides a stronger bass response. This thing out of the box was thunderous with lights on it. In my opinion, Irises sound similar to old guilds. Mine sounds rich and balanced and I really love it.
If it were me, I’d get an Iris because I think it’s the best guitar out of the ones mentioned. And at $400 cheaper than the lg2 you could put towards customization of upgraded top or back & sides, 12 fret, burst, etc.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The American Eagle definitely seems like it can be had for the best price out of the main guitars I’m looking at. And I do like that it comes with a pickup already installed.
The used AEs are pretty hard to come by, and when they show up on reverb, they get listed very close to the price of a used 50's Original LG2 (basically the guitar that Gibson replaced the AE with -- it's got a bit more period correct appointments). Both come with a pickup -- the major difference aside from cosmetic stuff is the neck. The AE neck profile is much thinner.

As mentioned above, you should give the Martin Ceo-7 a spin. It 100% does NOT have a hint of boxiness. And while the shape is L-00esque, its upper bout is very slightly closer to symmetrical than a Gibson.

Last edited by Luckymud; 02-15-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Also want to avoid the thuddy, short sustain thing some Gibsons have.
That describes my American Eagle pretty accurately -- which is why I bought it! Maybe not as thuddy as a J-45, but definitely in that camp. I haven't played the others you're considering, so I don't know how they compare.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

there was an Atkin in the classifieds for just under your budget. I'd hop on that quick like. Otherwise, I'd look at vintage LG-1s, they are unique. I had a 57 and it had a nice deep tone to it like you described the Gibson LG body having, but with ladder bracing it was a tad quiet. But I found that for a vintage guitar it was really comfortable , even the neck, etc. didn't feel like a struggle to play as some older guitars feel.

If that's not good then I'd look at the LG-2 AE, I've seen those for well under your budget and heard nothing but good things. Also don't discount a standard or studio L-00. They're smaller so not as deep sounding but if you're plugging in for your gigs it won't matter too much. I had a L-00 standard for a bit and really enjoyed it.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:38 PM

I own an Iris OG (torrefied adi/mahogany), and I have played the current Gibson 50s LG2, and the Yamaha FS5, in stores a number of times (but never had the chance to compare either of those with the Iris).

If you want the dry, woody, thuddy Gibson tone, get the LG2 - it's the only one of these that has that in spades.

The FS5 is an excellent guitar; tonally it is much more in the Martin camp, nothing Gibson-ish at all about it; quite a lot of bass for such a small body; excellent build quality, the only two things I didn't like were the pickguard, and the very rough and very ORANGE finish.

My OG also isn't as dry sounding as the LG2. Harmonically it has a lot more going on on top, brighter than the LG2, but not in a jangly Taylor way; and it also has more/fuller bass than the Gibson (but not as much as a full-size dreadnought)- it's kinda halfway between a Martin and a Gibson tone; a lot of mids, too - this is a very "in your face" guitar that can cut through a dense mix; NOT a "lush/pretty" sounding guitar (thats a characteristic it shares with the LG2, and differentiates it from the FS5).
Excellent setup, almost too easy to play (as a Tele guy, I like my guitars to put up a bit of a fight...)
Also, whoever said it has a chunky neck - nope, not at all! It is of course thicker than those dreadful teeny tiny baby-size Martin MLO necks (ugh, I really hate those, in case you can't tell), but a comfortable mid-size profile at best, somewhere around .88 to .9" thick at the first fret, C shape, but not a lot of "shoulder ". It's actually in the thickness range of the 50s LG2, but the neck on my Eastman is noticeably thicker, and it's a far cry from a true chunky neck, like a 1" thick 50s U-shape Tele, or that on my Loar archtop.
The FS5 neck is slightly thinner, BTW, but not as anorexic as an MLO profile.

Last edited by RomanS; 02-15-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Yeah Taylors are known for being "bright" and "sparkly" but with the new V Class bracing and alternate wood choices the AD (American Dream) guitars have a definite vintage vibe to them. My AD12e is spruce over walnut and sounds nothing like the '94 Taylor 710 that I've had for 30 years. Definitely worth taking one for a test drive.
It looks like there actually might be one of these at a my local Guitar Center so I’ll have to give it a play! It definitely looks like a great contender. This is exactly why I made this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
My 2 guitars are a Gibson J15 and an Iris AB 12 fret. I’m 5’6 and am a stickler for comfort and full sound. Both of my guitars are very comfortable and sound great but are very different.
The j15 is about 6 years old now. It always sounded good but up until about a year ago was kinda thuddy with quick decay. I finally put mediums on it and it roars now. But it took a while to get there.
My AB 12 fret was a custom order that I received about a year ago. It has torrified Adirondack over rosewood. My initial order was an og because I wanted something comfortable. I play almost exclusively sitting. I realized I could get a bit more horsepower out of an AB and because of the tight waste it would sit pretty close to the same as an og on my lap. Went with the 12 fret neck which in theory provides a stronger bass response. This thing out of the box was thunderous with lights on it. In my opinion, Irises sound similar to old guilds. Mine sounds rich and balanced and I really love it.
If it were me, I’d get an Iris because I think it’s the best guitar out of the ones mentioned. And at $400 cheaper than the lg2 you could put towards customization of upgraded top or back & sides, 12 fret, burst, etc.
The cost difference between the Gibson and the Iris definitely play a factor. I’ve actually had a few old Guilds so that’s an interesting comparison! It does seem like such a great guitar for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
The used AEs are pretty hard to come by, and when they show up on reverb, they get listed very close to the price of a used 50's Original LG2 (basically the guitar that Gibson replaced the AE with -- it's got a bit more period correct appointments). Both come with a pickup -- the major difference aside from cosmetic stuff is the neck. The AE neck profile is much thinner.

As mentioned above, you should give the Martin Ceo-7 a spin. It 100% does NOT have a hint of boxiness. And while the shape is L-00esque, its upper bout is very slightly closer to symmetrical than a Gibson.
I’ll have to check it out. I kind of wrote those off as Martin ripping off an L-00. That does sound intriguing!
Old 02-16-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
That describes my American Eagle pretty accurately -- which is why I bought it! Maybe not as thuddy as a J-45, but definitely in that camp. I haven't played the others you're considering, so I don't know how they compare.
Hmm maybe I need steer away from an actual LG then because I’m not wanting anything TOO thuddy since it’ll be basically my only acoustic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
there was an Atkin in the classifieds for just under your budget. I'd hop on that quick like. Otherwise, I'd look at vintage LG-1s, they are unique. I had a 57 and it had a nice deep tone to it like you described the Gibson LG body having, but with ladder bracing it was a tad quiet. But I found that for a vintage guitar it was really comfortable , even the neck, etc. didn't feel like a struggle to play as some older guitars feel.

If that's not good then I'd look at the LG-2 AE, I've seen those for well under your budget and heard nothing but good things. Also don't discount a standard or studio L-00. They're smaller so not as deep sounding but if you're plugging in for your gigs it won't matter too much. I had a L-00 standard for a bit and really enjoyed it.
If it’s the Atkin I saw in there then I think it needs a top crack repaired, so It’ll be over my budget by the time I have it fixed. It is a good deal though!
I should definitely keep my eyes peeled for a used AE since those definitely seem like a decent deal. Hard to find one to try out though!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion