The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-18-2024, 05:35 PM

Default Seeing Julian Lage in a few hours!

I'm seeing Julian Lage play a solo guitar show tonight in San Francisco. I've never seen him play live before, and I'm pretty excited!
It's possible that a few others from this group may be there tonight.....

I'l post a short review when I get home.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm quite jealous, Gryf. Be sure to let us know what he plays. I mean the guitars, not the songs. :-) Lately he seems to be using a Tele for electric and a Collings OM for acoustic.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:23 PM

I had a chance to see him back in 2020. Wow! Enjoy the show!
Old 01-19-2024, 12:55 AM

The show was fantastic. He played solo acoustic (Collings). Did about 90 minutes, and included a tune or two from his upcoming album. A true virtuoso.

Originally my son was going too drive up from LA to go with me, but he had some work stuff come up and couldn't take two days off. My son in law was my backup plan, but he ended up sick with Covid yesterday. I was about to say "screw it" and just stay home, but then thought to text my neighbor friend who I know plays a little guitar. He hadn't heard of Julian, but he definitely has now!

He's playing for the next 3 nights, too, with a different line-up each night!
Old 01-19-2024, 08:44 AM

That's awesome. I was really jealous that SFJazz gets to host Lage for multiple nights. (I think Frisell's got a multi-night stint in Berkeley soon, too!) I really enjoy the new songs he's put out very recently, so I hope he swings by my town again soon. It's mindboggling to me how it seems like he can play anything at will and make it sound incredible. Hope you get to catch a few more of his shows there.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:05 AM

Glad you got to see him!
I caught a solo show in Cincinnati last fall.
He was fantastic.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:52 AM

I was at his show last night at Town Hall NYC. Full house, great performance (of course!), mostly from Speak to Me. Julian used his blackguard with the Ellisonic in the neck, his Collings signature OM, and a second acoustic -- kind of a mahogany top 12-fretter maybe? I couldn't see what it was but that guitar blew me away.

I think it's the one in this pic. An anybody ID it?

https://gb.readly.com/magazines/guit...5e23214a6aea05
Old 03-23-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Daily View Post
I was at his show last night at Town Hall NYC. Full house, great performance (of course!), mostly from Speak to Me. Julian used his blackguard with the Ellisonic in the neck, his Collings signature OM, and a second acoustic -- kind of a mahogany top 12-fretter maybe? I couldn't see what it was but that guitar blew me away.

I think it may be the guitar here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ctp4Kmkgh55/
Old 03-23-2024, 05:12 PM

He just did a new interview with Jason Verlinde at the Fretboard Journal podcast page.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:49 PM

Just discovered him this week, watching some of the videos he did for Acoustic Guitar magazine. Impressive player.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
He just did a new interview with Jason Verlinde at the Fretboard Journal podcast page.
Thanks for this news! I haven't checked in there lately, but will definitely listen to that one!
Old 03-24-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Daily View Post

I’m not too sure of the make of his mahogany guitar though I saw him 2x’s this past week- The first night was in Portsmouth NH and when he picked up his mahogany guitar he remarked that he had just changed the strings on it for the first time in over a year. Friday night in NYC he played it again and it sounded incredible. Julian travels with his own sound guy and I’ve always been amazed that no matter the size or style of venue his sound is impeccable.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:21 PM

It's a 30s Gibson L00, I think.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I saw Julian and the band three times last week; Falls River MA, Portsmouth NH, and Ridgefield CT. What a treat. And although Julian definitely drives the train, Jorge Roeder on bass and Rudy Royston on drums are something else. Each show was a little bit different and each show was mesmerizing.
'80 Yairi DY46
'74 Telecaster Custom
‘72 Yamaha FG300
Old 03-25-2024, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I saw Julian's trio a couple years ago in Seattle. A wonderful, virtuosic performance by all - individually and as an ensemble.

That Instagram vid is proof positive that we don't need no stinkin' cutaway on a 12 fretter to hit the 17th or 18th fret. Or at least Julian doesn't. I thought he was going to over shoot the runway and dip into the tone hole.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN