The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2023, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts On The LR Baggs HiFi's Tone

I've now installed two of the new LR Baggs HiFi Acoustic-Electric Pickup Systems in two guitars: a Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special and a Larrivee D-50. Both guitars have the same basic construction but the D-40R Blue Grass Special has a Sitka Spruce top and Indian Rosewood back and sides with a satin finish and the Larrivee D-50 has a Moon Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides with a gloss finish. Both guitars came with factory-installed D'Addario Light-Guage Phosphor Bronze strings.

Overall, I like the tone of the LR Baggs HiFi but something I hear when wearing headphones is some distortion when playing more aggressively on both guitars. This distortion isn't as noticeable when playing through an amp or PA speaker and the amplified tone sounds darn good. I'm beginning to think that LR Baggs has included a "saturation" feature in the HiFi's preamp which is similar to what is in their LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI pedal and Element Session VTC. I can guarantee you for certain that if the HiFi's transducers were to be fed into a Trance Dual Mono M endpin preamp you wouldn't hear any distortion whatsoever no matter how aggressively you hit the strings with a flat pick. So, given my thoughts, I still really dig the LR Baggs HiFi Pickup Preamp System. Have any players out there delved into the LR Baggs HiFi Pickup/Preamp System's tone as I have? I would love to hear your thoughts on the LR Baggs HiFi and I'm sure potential buyers of the system would too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-01-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I think Aaron Short said it best. Buy from an easy return retailer and send it back if you don't like it. I'm going with what I've liked six times before.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-01-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I think Aaron Short said it best. Buy from an easy return retailer and send it back if you don't like it. I'm going with what I've liked six times before.
Brick, to channel Lightnin' Hopkins: Lawd 'Av Moicy! It's nice to read comments that have Teeth and I thank you for it!

As for my own thread-starting comment, I think the new LR Baggs HiFi ain't bad, it's just not the best system out there. For passive systems, I'll go with your six-time and soon-to-be seven-time enthusiasm over Dazzo systems. If folks feel lucky today--All You Punks Out There--with their installation skills, then the James May Engineering UltraTonic 3.2 is also an excellent passive system choice. My personal favorite active system, given its excellent Smooth, and Real HiFi Tone, is the Trance Amulet Dual Mono M Systems. Frankly, who in their right mind would install a Trance Amulet M system for $279 to $379 in their $4000 to $20,000 guitar when they could install a K&K Pure Mini for $130 and EQ the living "h" out of it to get a good amplified tone with a costly outboard preamp? Answer: Many!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-02-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

The Hifi works great for my Live gigging. It sounds excellent. Here is a recording from my gig last night.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-01-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
The Hifi works great for my Live gigging. It sounds excellent. Here is a recording from my gig last night.

That sounds fantastic. Well, your skill makes a HUGE difference in how it sounds. What are you using for application/preamp?

Never mind. Saw it on you other post.

Anyway, nice playing and sounds really good.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm beginning to think that LR Baggs has included a "saturation" feature in the HiFi's preamp which is similar to what is in their LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI pedal and Element Session VTC. I can guarantee you for certain that if the HiFi's transducers were to be fed into a Trance Dual Mono M endpin preamp you wouldn't hear any distortion whatsoever no matter how aggressively you hit the strings with a flat pick.
That’s a very interesting thought. I also hear some ‘crunch’ in the HIFI but thought it was the pickup itself, because it has some similarities to my passive Schatten HFNs. It can easily be the preamp. Nevertheless I like the crunch of the HIFI a bit.
Would love to hear the HIFI with a Trance pre.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

Last edited by Peter Z; 07-02-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:

GREAT sound. I mean that’s just a single source SBT.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 07-02-2023, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
GREAT sound. I mean that’s just a single source SBT.
Thanks Peter. Yeah, for a single source PU, it is very musical to me. Nothing is perfect and neither is the HiFi, but it amplified a very high end guitar without intruding on its natural inherent acoustic tone. That is awesome.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-02-2023, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Gary. You are a pro.

I’d buy that pickup simply on your say so. Nice recording.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
That’s a very interesting though. I also hear some ‘crunch’ in the HIFI but thought it was the pickup itself, because it has some similarities to my passive Schatten HFNs. It can easily be the preamp. Nevertheless I like the crunch of the HIFI a bit.
Would love to hear the HIFI with a Trance pre.
Hi Peter, I'm basing my hunch on a saturation effect possibly being resident in the LR Baggs HiFi as I have an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI that when playing other guitars through it with the Saturation knob/effect engaged sounds similar to the HiFi's tone when playing more aggressively. I hear this saturation effect as sounding rounded and not harsh. The HiFi sounds pretty good but I'd just as soon have a clean signal to amplify. Both my LR Baggs HiFi installations sound the same so I'm guessing three things may be going on:

1) As you've mentioned, maybe the HiFi's transducers are creating the "crunch," or saturation as I've mentioned;

or

2) The LR Baggs HiFi's preamp just isn't up to handling strong signals without adding distortion;

or

3) The LR Baggs HiFi has a built-in "saturation" effect that comes on the harder the guitar is played. I hear this saturation effect as sounding rounded and not harsh.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-02-2023, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Gary, your entire rig sounds great and I wish I could play like you!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-02-2023, 10:57 AM

Lovely, Gary. My wife heard it from across the room and called it “heartbreaking”.
Heartbreakingly beautiful, of course. Is that an original piece?

The guitar sounds great, too. You don’t have that Collings in your sig. :-)

Cheers, _RP
Old 07-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That sounds great Gary! Real nice playing as well.
Playing through your Bose S1, Fishman Artist or something else?

Sprucetop, didn't mean to hijack your thread...but I have enjoyed your demos and think you have the HiFi dialed in on your Larrivee.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 07-02-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Hi Peter, I'm basing my hunch on a saturation effect possibly being resident in the LR Baggs HiFi as I have an LR Baggs Acoustic Session DI that when playing other guitars through it with the Saturation knob/effect engaged sounds similar to the HiFi's tone when playing more aggressively. I hear this saturation effect as sounding rounded and not harsh. The HiFi sounds pretty good but I'd just as soon have a clean signal to amplify. Both my LR Baggs HiFi installations sound the same so I'm guessing three things may be going on:

1) As you've mentioned, maybe the HiFi's transducers are creating the "crunch," or saturation as I've mentioned;

or

2) The LR Baggs HiFi's preamp just isn't up to handling strong signals without adding distortion;

or

3) The LR Baggs HiFi has a built-in "saturation" effect that comes on the harder the guitar is played. I hear this saturation effect as sounding rounded and not harsh.
Hi Sprucetop, exactly what I hear. While the distortion is not completely natural, it does sound nicely. A little bit what a Fender Deluxe does.
Old 07-02-2023, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brick, to channel Lightnin' Hopkins: Lawd 'Av Moicy! It's nice to read comments that have Teeth and I thank you for it!

As for my own thread-starting comment, I think the new LR Baggs HiFi ain't bad, it's just not the best system out there. For passive systems, I'll go with your six-time and soon-to-be seven-time enthusiasm over Dazzo systems. If folks feel lucky today--All You Punks Out There--with their installation skills, then the James May Engineering UltraTonic 3.2 is also an excellent passive system choice. My personal favorite active system, given its excellent Smooth, and Real HiFi Tone, is the Trance Amulet Dual Mono M Systems. Frankly, who in their right mind would install a Trance Amulet M system for $279 to $379 in their $4000 to $20,000 guitar when they could install a K&K Pure Mini for $130 and EQ the living "h" out of it to get a good amplified tone with a costly outboard preamp? Answer: Many!
Thanks, Spruce Top. Your comment on K&Ks in $4000+ guitar is spot on. Some people just want to hear sound when they plug in. It mystifies me, but they aren't out hurting babies either. This was a primary reason I had SunnAudio build me their blender in a box for a local open mic. I was tired of hearing K&Ks with no pre plugged into the mixer. Now we give them no choice. The SunnAudio makes anything sound better, and now the Collings guitars don't sound harsh. I always thought players were the only ones obsessing over their tone, but I've come to realize 75% don't really care. The players that do buy gear for themselves because they want to sound good. We all know a casual audience won't care. Until you pay $50 to see someone, then it starts to matter.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification