The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Does an LR Baggs LB6 affect the acoustic performance of a Ralph Bown OMX

I have just acquired a superb Ralph Bown OMX with an L R Bagga LB6 passive pickup installed. An experienced guitarist suggested to me that this would detrimentally affect the acoustic performance of the guitar. Anyone have any experience?

My dilemma is that I am trying to achieve the most natural sounding amplified sound whilst retaining the best acoustic sound. I am struggling to find the best amplified acoustic sound with respect to a pre-amp and don't wish to commit to a new pre-amp until I have determined which pickup system I will be using.I am a solo guitarist/vocalist in small venues.
Help again!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Being that pickup is a saddle in itself - to an extent it might. To really know what difference or if there is any, maybe look into having a new bone saddle made for the guitar, record it with LB6 in place, or have someone play it for you. Then, swap over to new bone saddle and repeat. That should give you an idea if any of the sound was robbed from the guitar.

Hope this helps you.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

The LB6 is made is of micarta, which is a fairly soft material. In my experience it has a pretty substantial impact on the sound. Whether it's a good or bad impact is a matter of opinion, you might even prefer it, you just never know. Bob Colosi was making custom LB6s with bone, but I seem to recall he's not doing that any more.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The LB6 is made is of micarta, which is a fairly soft material. In my experience it has a pretty substantial impact on the sound. Whether it's a good or bad impact is a matter of opinion, you might even prefer it, you just never know. Bob Colosi was making custom LB6s with bone, but I seem to recall he's not doing that any more.
Doug if you were intending to keep the guiatr for some time would you retain the LB6 pickup or go for something better. I have been utterlly frustrated for the last 3 months looking for the right amplified sound from my guitar in a live environment. I want a simple set up for my guitar and vocals that sound good.

You kindly responded to my post re the DPA 4099G mic which I subsequently tried but alsa - feedback so I am back to square one!!

I beleive the Bown OMX is THE guitar for me (great for picking and strumming) but I now need to sort out the pickup and preamp/EQ side of things without investing a lot of money to try equipment out.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uecnot View Post
Doug if you were intending to keep the guiatr for some time would you retain the LB6 pickup or go for something better.
Personally, I'd probably avoid the LB6 if I was installing a new pickup or getting a guitar made, because to me the acoustic tone is slightly "squishy" for lack of a better word, but it does sound nice plugged in. Your ears might hear it differently, of course, it's all a matter of taste. And if I came across a guitar with one already installed, and I liked the sound, I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess the question is, do you like the acoustic sound of the guitar as-is, and is the pickup working for you? If so, leave well enough alone :-) You could also try blending the 4099 in with the LB6, using however much of the mic you can add in without feedback.

If you'd like the guitar to sound better acoustically, you could at least try swapping out the saddle and see if you prefer something else acoustically. If you do, you'd have to decide if it's worth it to keep up the search for a pickup that works for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd probably avoid the LB6 if I was installing a new pickup or getting a guitar made, because to me the acoustic tone is slightly "squishy" for lack of a better word, but it does sound nice plugged in. Your ears might hear it differently, of course, it's all a matter of taste. And if I came across a guitar with one already installed, and I liked the sound, I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess the question is, do you like the acoustic sound of the guitar as-is, and is the pickup working for you? If so, leave well enough alone :-) You could also try blending the 4099 in with the LB6, using however much of the mic you can add in without feedback.

If you'd like the guitar to sound better acoustically, you could at least try swapping out the saddle and see if you prefer something else acoustically. If you do, you'd have to decide if it's worth it to keep up the search for a pickup that works for you.
Thanks, Doug. I'll take the guitar back to Ralph and have him install a new bone saddle and verify the difference acoustically between that and the LB6.

If I find I need a new pickup would a "dual source" pickup give me the most natural guitar sound? (I returned the DPA 4099 without buying it)
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Doug. I'll take the guitar back to Ralph and have him install a new bone saddle and verify the difference acoustically between that and the LB6.

If I find I need a new pickup would a "dual source" pickup give me the most natural guitar sound? (I returned the DPA 4099 without buying it)
Dual source gives you more options. You can blend the two sounds in all kinds of ways, which may give you a more complex sound that comes closer to the complexity of an acoustic sound. You can also use dual source to give yourself more options, like a pickup that sounds great when you play quiet, and another that is less feedback prone in loud situations. If one of the dual sources is a mic, you have a better chance of getting a more "natural" sound, but of course there's the risk of feedback.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM

When I purchased my preowned Olson SJ it had the LB6 in it. The orig owner told me it didn't sound as good as an older SJ he had and thus the sale. When I got it home I sent the LB6 to Colosi for an exact dimension custom bone saddle. Deffinately a huge improvement. I'm investigating re-electrifying it but I won't be using undersaddle pickup.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Bob Colosi was making custom LB6s with bone, but I seem to recall he's not doing that any more.
It's true Bob Colosi is not longer customizing the LB6. He told me that sometime in the last year or so.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug if you were intending to keep the guiatr for some time would you retain the LB6 pickup or go for something better.
Hi uecnot (my hand is in the air asking you to call on me)...

I played my Olson with an LB-6 for 11 years total; 5 as a single source and 6 more combined as half of an LRBaggs Dual-source rig (with the preamp inside the guitar).

Then switched to K&K dual sources, and my luthier custom built me a saddle (the LB6 requires the slot to be widened because it is deeper than a normal saddle) and it made a huge difference in the acoustic aspect of the guitar…which I didn't realize could be improved!

I'd recommend switching it for bone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm the person who suggested to the OP that he change the LB6. It was my past experience with an Olson SJ that led me to that view. I had the LB6 installed (pre K&k) and noticed the sound seemed poorer but I was gigging a lot at the time and satisfied with the electrified sound. The current owner of that guitar switched to a K&K Pure Western Mini and a bone saddle, at my suggestion, and is delighted with the improvement. That is both in the acoustic sound of the guitar and the sound of the K&K versus the LB6.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Actually, Bob is making the LB6 with bone saddle again. John Buscarino also has the LB-6 with bone saddle custom made for him as well. He installed one on the Cabaret (nylon string crossover) that he built for me and it works great.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 11-25-2016, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Actually, Bob is making the LB6 with bone saddle again. John Buscarino also has the LB-6 with bone saddle custom made for him as well. He installed one on the Cabaret (nylon string crossover) that he built for me and it works great.
That's great news!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification