The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Needed to record

Hello all ...

I've been wanting to record a bit more of stuff, or at least up the quality of the recordings. Here's what I have: Blue Snowball mic, Fishman SA 220 and a laptop with a camera. What do I need? And could someone give me the remedial definition of what an "interface" is? And what's an acceptable one for recording through a laptop? I've tried to Google interfaces, and I guess I'm just not sure how they work.

I'm not looking for world-class recordings, but it's gotta be better than how I've been doing it: Snowball set up about 15 feet away from the Fishman and playing right through it. Sounds OK, but certainly doesn't have that "studio" feel.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Inside a computer, audio is just a bunch of data with timing information - a PCM stream. This is what audio software works on.

A standard audio interface converts analogue signals to PCM streams on the way in and digital to analogue on the way out - ADDA conversion.

Audio interfaces usually have multiple ins and outs. Monitoring mixer software is supplied with the interface to connect external inputs & outputs with PCM streams inside the computer. RME (and Totalmix) is one of the best at this sort of thing.

Mic signals are very low level and you need a microphone preamp to bump it up to something useable. Many interfaces aimed at home use will have some built-in preamps. The preamp will also provide the phantom power supply for condenser mics.

I don't play acoustic so much these days because of finger problems and I'm losing touch with what's on the market so can't give you much advice about that - except beware cheap condenser mics (the ADK A6 and Oktava Mk012 do a good job of bucking that rule though). IMO a good acoustic guitar mic should be fast and flat ie good transient response to capture the sparkle and a neutral frequency curve which doesn't stomp all over the sound. A lot of cheap mics have a harsh treble boost to give the illusion of detail. The acoustic is a bright instrument (usually) but it should be bright and sweet not bright and harsh.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 AM

"Simplified Home Recording" from my website:
http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 08-16-2014, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ditch the amp.

Put the mic about a foot away from the middle of the neck and point it where the neck joins the body.

Experiment with this placement. Play a lot.

Record the USB signal from the mic right into the computer. Any other piece of gear won't buy you much at this point. The mic already has an interface in it.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM

You'd do better to mic your guitar rather than an amp. If you do prefer micing the amp, and I doubt that you will, the distance of 15 feet between the mic and amp is not good
as you will pick up as much room noise as sound from the guitar.

Try moving the mic around 18" or so in front of your guitar being careful not to point it directly at the sound hole. Keep at it - recording and then listening back until you have something you like. Also, vary the distance as 18" or so is just a starting point.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:50 PM

I did a bit more research last night, and here's why I think I need an interface to go through the Fishman SA 220. I want to do my harmonies through a TC Helicon Harmony Singer, so I won't have to do anything in post production. Also, I can use the reverbs on the Fishman and through the Helicon to get the sound just the way I like it.

But now I'm wondering if I can just play with the Snowball in relation to the Fishman playing in the room, adjust accordingly. Anyone else try this? I guess that's the way I can get by without an interface, but I'm not sure the quality will be as good as plugging directly into the laptop. Might pick up some outside noise.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM

You can use the Fishman as a preamp/FX unit then plug the line out into an audio interface to record onto a laptop.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM

OK, just got the Presonus Audiobox USB interface with Studio One. Great. And I have a Fishman SA 220. I'm ready to record ... uh, so how do I connect the two? From what to where? A dumb question, for sure, but not nearly my dumbest.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM

It looks like the Fishman has balanced XLR outs. Can the Audiobox accept a balanced line level signal on XLR? The Audiobox mic/instrument sockets do take XLR or 1/4" jack connectors but I wonder if the XLR side is for a (much lower) mic signal only.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Inside a computer, audio is just a bunch of data with timing information - a PCM stream. This is what audio software works on.

A standard audio interface converts analogue signals to PCM streams on the way in and digital to analogue on the way out - ADDA conversion.

Audio interfaces usually have multiple ins and outs. Monitoring mixer software is supplied with the interface to connect external inputs & outputs with PCM streams inside the computer. RME (and Totalmix) is one of the best at this sort of thing.

Mic signals are very low level and you need a microphone preamp to bump it up to something useable. Many interfaces aimed at home use will have some built-in preamps. The preamp will also provide the phantom power supply for condenser mics.

I don't play acoustic so much these days because of finger problems and I'm losing touch with what's on the market so can't give you much advice about that - except beware cheap condenser mics (the ADK A6 and Oktava Mk012 do a good job of bucking that rule though). IMO a good acoustic guitar mic should be fast and flat ie good transient response to capture the sparkle and a neutral frequency curve which doesn't stomp all over the sound. A lot of cheap mics have a harsh treble boost to give the illusion of detail. The acoustic is a bright instrument (usually) but it should be bright and sweet not bright and harsh.
Well put. and +1 on the ADK A6 and Oktava MK-012
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM

What I would do is sign up and hit their forums. I don't own any of their products so can vouch as to how useful their community is, but it is worth at least trying
Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM

It looks like the inputs for the audiobox are only mic (XLR)/instrument (1/4" TS).
I would be hesitant about putting the DI (line level) output of the SA220 into the Mic inputs of the Audiobox - you'd have to keep the volume levels of the SA220 very very low, and watch the trim-gain knobs on the Audiobox.
Alternately, run XLR to TS (with adapters) and into the 1/4" inputs on the Audiobox - but still watch your levels.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD