The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Default What drum machines are these if you had to guess?

In the first song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Tp5fl18Ho

And starting around 1:00 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZRjRjQlbqw

More interested in that second one, I know they're not the same but I'm looking at getting something like it maybe sometime in the future.

Probably pretty obvious to most of you what these things are but I don't know what they're called. I think they'd be more useful and easier than using a midi controller to make just really simple drum loops and things like that, correct me if I'm wrong? If anyone knows what either of those are, or something that would make really similar loops all suggestions here are really appreciated!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

The first clip is not a drum machine. It's some form of step sequencer. It's looks perhaps home made, which is fairly common these days. The outboard (hardware) step sequencers provide for a bit easier live manipulations but for recording there are a basquillion options in the software world.

The second clip could be virtually anything. A loop, a sequence, an outboard drum machine or a software drum machine. The clip sounds like a wood block drenched in reverb. You can find percussion loops endlessly and even for free if you look hard enough. If that clip represents what you need in a drum machine you'll have no problem finding a ton of solutions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD