The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Default Does the Yamaha CG192C have a truss rod?

Just curious if this guitar has a truss rod. I know it's not usual to have a truss rod in a classical but I have heard that some companies are doing it. Is Yamaha one of them and specifically the new CG192c

Thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 AM

No, Yamaha does not put truss rods in its classical guitars, including the new models. I had a CG 162 cedar, great guitar with a nice straight neck, no truss rod.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
No, Yamaha does not put truss rods in its classical guitars, including the new models. I had a CG 162 cedar, great guitar with a nice straight neck, no truss rod.
So is the only way to adjust the action to make changes to the bridge?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 AM

You adjust the saddle by sanding the bottom. Sand 2x off the bottom of the saddle for what you want adjusted at the 12th fret. So, if you want to reduce the action by 0.010" at the 12th fret, sand 0.020" off the bottom of the saddle.

If you live in areas where the humidity swings sharply from one season to the next, then you do what some classical guitarists do; have a summer saddle and a winter saddle.

Truss rods are for adjusting neck relief. You should not use them to adjust the action.

Classical guitars have so little tension that they don't need truss rods to adjust the relief. They're thrown in as an extra precaution for guitars that get shipped and used in regions that may have a humidity that varies substantially from the area of manufacture. They reduce the likelihood of warranty work. I share the opinion that they are not essential in a well-built guitar ... like a Yamaha.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM

thanks that sounds really good. The reason I asked is that I was checking out a Yamaha the other day and I did find the action was rather high and the saddle was already really low. But maybe there was still that could off.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Be careful. If the action was high and the saddle low, that guitar has a neck angle problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical