The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-01-2023, 11:37 PM

Default Nylon String Zac Attack

I don’t much about Zac Brown other than he appears to have earned a big following and is well appreciated. Saw him on a NYE show with full band and he was banging away on a nylon string Taylor, and I mean strummed the thing with robust. A little guitar played up high on a big guy, the neck festooned on the fingerboard with his name Opry style. Just goes to show you.
Is that his usual guitar? Hard to hear any of its tone as the band was sawing away and everything was less than delicate. Does he record with a nylon string?
Fun to watch and wonder.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:27 AM

Not much tone to hear, unamplified. Kinda dead. Well-made, super easy to play.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:19 AM

I believe he was amplified, and the Taylor a crossover hybrid. I wonder if he writes with it and it carries over to the stage.
He sure doesn’t come off as Leonard Cohen.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:53 PM

This from Premier Guitar's "Rig Rundown" from 2012:

"Zac's main guitar is a custom prototype Taylor nylon-string built to his specifications with a beefy neck and hex pickup. All of the band's guitars are tuned a half-step down and all of the band members use D'Addario strings. He plays his main guitar for about 70% of the show and switches for different tunings and capo positions."

The first 3 minutes of his road tech being interviewed features discussion of the two main nylon strung guitars Zac Brown used at the time of the interview, 2012:

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-02-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:47 PM

I think more players should consider "banging away" on a nylon strung guitar. I've been playing my crossover in CGDGBE tuning and loving the tone and adaptability to a variety of styles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical