The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

What brought me to the Primavera was, first I wanted to expand the tone with something hog like, plus the uniqueness of it -- partly because (as Ed himself pointed out) most people just prefer the traditional dark stained woods. In this Halcyon circle here, the Primavera and zebra wood are probably not as unique, but outside of that circle and AGF, most of my player friends have never seen, much less heard, Primavera. So despite my ooogling of the walnut, the Primavera will stand out big time, though I am sure some will be a bit thrown askew with the light wood (I like that). With all that said though, anticipation is building up to hear it.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Paws off my walnut dread.
I would love to do an Engelmann/Walnut AJ with Ed in the future or perhaps a full Walnut sloped dread. I have a problem.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Can do....
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=44Runner;3969514]Yep. Primavera dread.

I will likely keep this guitar forever and I knew I wanted another really nice dread. My higher end guitars I own all have dark backs and my other dread is EIR so primavera seemed like a good choice for visual and tone distinction.

All I knew about a top is I didn't want sitka because it is already well represented in my collection. When I got to talking to Ed about my style of playing he said he thought I would prefer a Lutz top. I have never played a Lutz top so trusting Ed I said sure.

As far as binding goes, I get the feeling Ed is exceptionally proud and happy with the way John's guitar came out so I could tell he thought zebra was the way to go. I simply wanted darker wood for contrast so I was fine with zebra.

So in the end I have the same wood choices as this guitar which is totally fine with me. John's guitar is an absolute stunner.

I did ebony as well. I know Ed posted a picture of a beautifully striped ebony fret board on his facebook page I think. I certainly wouldn't mind one that looked like that. It was gorgeous. Straight black is nice too though.

EDIT:
Here is the picture of the striped ebony board:

QUOTE]

Yes !!!!, this ebony streaked grain is beautiful and will reflect the grain in the primavera. A very nice touch !!!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
I would love to do an Engelmann/Walnut AJ with Ed in the future or perhaps a full Walnut sloped dread. I have a problem.
If you ever find yourself in Ottawa you can play mine. That is once Ed builds it and it is in my possession.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Can do....
Ed, you are my new enabler. As if I needed any help spending money on guitars.

Both my options sound super cool. I might have to pick your brain at some point about a full walnut sloped dread. Now that the idea is in my head I can't seem to shake it. But I know I would love an Engelmann/Walnut AJ. Hmmmm.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Mua ha ha ha ha!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop