The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2023, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Default lesson for the day...

Low tension, light gauge strings do not really work that well on a 12 fret, short scale guitar. At least, not for me.

Last edited by Merlemantel; 07-30-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

By light gauge do you mean 12s? I’m trying to understand why these strings would sound worse on a 12 fret than a 14 fret of the same basic build characteristics other than where the neck meets the body. Is it maybe the type strings?

+
Old 07-30-2023, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
By light gauge do you mean 12s? I’m trying to understand why these strings would sound worse on a 12 fret than a 14 fret of the same basic build characteristics other than where the neck meets the body. Is it maybe the type strings?

+
The shorter scale means that already low tension strings are stretched to an even lower tension than would be the case for a longer scale, 14 fret instrument. For me, this makes the strings susceptible to buzzing, and twanging, for lack of better terms, when I pluck the string with some force. 11-50s, thomastik-infeld plectrums.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:52 PM

I have two 12 frets, but only on is short scale.j
Un branded Chinese guitar with lotsa bling
Old 07-30-2023, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
I have two 12 frets, but only on is short scale.j
yep, I should have clarified that. 12 fret, shorter scale instrument.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
The shorter scale means that already low tension strings are stretched to an even lower tension than would be the case for a longer scale instrument. For me, this makes the strings susceptible to buzzing, and twanging, for lack of better terms, when I pluck the string with some force.
I notice this, even on my long scale OM when I play tuned down to CGCFCE. That bottom C can get floppy with 12s. I have to be very careful when I fret it that I don’t yank it off key. Its surprisingly easy to do.

+
Old 07-30-2023, 02:54 PM

I suppose scale length would also have something to do with it. As well as the shape of the 12 fret (elongated body?) and bridge placement.

That said, it can be tough to predict what works on a particular guitar. YMMV
Old 07-30-2023, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I notice this, even on my long scale OM when I play tuned down to CGCFCE. That bottom C can get floppy with 12s. I have to be very careful when I fret it that I don’t yank it off key. Its surprisingly easy to do.

+
yep, that's the downside. Easier to fret, but a little loosey goosey
Old 07-30-2023, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

For Martin patern 12 fret designs the 000 would have what is regarded as "standard" scale (25.4" or similat) but 00 and 0 would have 24.9" scales.

Gibson and their patterns have a different, and variable approach mostly shorter.

Essentially, under 25" scales are considered short scale.

I tried some DR Rare, which (I believe - I asked but they didn't reply) are lower than normal tension. I wasn't aware of that when folks here told me to buy them.

Frankly, I don't "get" the idea of low tension strings - surely, they move the top less efficiently than "normal" strings ??

I put a set of mediums on one of my dreads - took 'em off a few days later, went back to ej17s.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-30-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I agree that it depends on the guitar and the player. I’m predominantly a singer songwriter and play a 12 fret long scale, a 12 fret short scale, a 14 fret long scale and a 14 fret short scale and use 12-54s most often and sometimes round core strings. Different brands have slightly different tensions. Light gauge, low tension strings generally work for me. If I was playing more nuanced instrumental pieces than I might find that I would pick different strings. It really is a subjective experience.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Scale length and body shape do play a role, but dropping the pitch you're tuning to has a much bigger effect. And you also need to consider the way the top is braced, and the intention of the builder. You can use low tension strings on a lightly built guitar very nicely - but few manufactured guitars are built lightly enough to get the best out of them. Most players who opt for low tension strings are doing so for the ergonomics and ease of playing, rather than trying to maximize volume and response -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion