The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Baritone uke...nope...Tenor

My acoustic group is gearing up for outdoor gigs this spring and I知 looking to add a new sound to the mix. I知 thinking a baritone uke could be cool and would be a fairly familiar transition from playing guitar. My local shops don稚 have one, so I値l probably just roll the dice on a cheaper-brand uke online.

A couple of questions:

For these outdoor gigs, we often play with a single condenser mic- sort of bluegrass style. Is a baritone uke loud enough to play along with an acoustic guitar and some light percussion? I知 worried that I might have to crowd the mic to get a balanced volume mix.

Any suggestions for a decent (and preferably loud!) lower-end baritone uke? I might spend up to a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for any other thoughts or suggestions

Scott

Last edited by EScottG; 04-01-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM

I have a Favilla Baritone (1950/60s) that I've enjoyed, although I don't play uke as much nowadays. Not sure how it will work in a combo situation with a single mic, but I've seen it called a relatively inexpensive alternative to a Martin Baritone. I think it might run you a little more than $200, but not much, on Ebay.

Here's a link to a uke forum thread about them, with a sound sample. There is much more if you search under "Favilla Baritone Uke opionions."

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...aritone-or-uke
Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EScottG View Post
My acoustic group is gearing up for outdoor gigs this spring and I知 looking to add a new sound to the mix. I知 thinking a baritone uke could be cool and would be a fairly familiar transition from playing guitar. My local shops don稚 have one, so I値l probably just roll the dice on a cheaper-brand uke online.

A couple of questions:

For these outdoor gigs, we often play with a single condenser mic- sort of bluegrass style. Is a baritone uke loud enough to play along with an acoustic guitar and some light percussion? I知 worried that I might have to crowd the mic to get a balanced volume mix.

Any suggestions for a decent (and preferably loud!) lower-end baritone uke? I might spend up to a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for any other thoughts or suggestions

Scott
Have you played a baritone with the low-tuned bottom string vs. a tenor uke with a high-G or re-entrant tuning? If not, you might try both. I feel that tenors cut through the mix much better and also have a more distinctive sound. Baritones can sound a bit tubby.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 AM

It will get walked on if you try to compete with the other instruments. Small box= small volume.

-r
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
It will get walked on if you try to compete with the other instruments. Small box= small volume.

-r
Maybe but mandolins certainly don't get walked on, nor do banjo ukes. In this instance, where the band is using the one mic live setup, it simply is a matter of having the uke player stand a bit closer. I've done it many times for gigs and it works.

As for ukes, Kala and Pono and Mainland are nice ones to consider.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

A baritone uke works well wiht a female singer (higher toned voice), but I think wiht a guitar, you may be treading on the same spectrum range.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. My first thought was to go with a tenor uke but then I thought- possibly out of laziness- that the transition from guitar to baritone would be more natural. However, even if the volume is enough, I had also worried about trying to compete with the tonal range of the guitar during a song. Maybe I could do some creative capo-ing to compliment the guitar...I don't know. Bottom line- it's a cheap enough experiment to try if I go with a really low-budget uke but, knowing myself, I will want to go at least a step up from the very cheap ones.

Scott
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EScottG View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. My first thought was to go with a tenor uke but then I thought- possibly out of laziness- that the transition from guitar to baritone would be more natural. However, even if the volume is enough, I had also worried about trying to compete with the tonal range of the guitar during a song. Maybe I could do some creative capo-ing to compliment the guitar...I don't know. Bottom line- it's a cheap enough experiment to try if I go with a really low-budget uke but, knowing myself, I will want to go at least a step up from the very cheap ones.

Scott
A tenor uke is a baritone uke capo'd at 5, or strings 1-4 of a guitar capo'd at 5. So a baritone with "creative capoing" is just a tenor uke with a warmer tone and less room on the fretboard.

I own both, but my choice would be the tenor for a group situation, just for the sake of being different enough to stand out.

Also, for what it's worth, you can tune either with reentrant tuning (high 4th string, G on the tenor and D on the baritone).

To complicate things further, you can get tenor-tuning sets (GCEA) designed for baritone ukes (do NOT just try to tune DGBE baritone strings up a fourth!).

I have a cedar/koa Webber baritone uke that sounds just lovely tuned GCEA. Then again, it sounds lovely in DGBE as well. But GCEA definitely cuts through the mix better.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 PM

Very good point MBE! Now I'm rethinking the baritone idea and might opt for a tenor instead...

Scott
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM

FWIW, I play ukulele a lot. Tenor is my favorite size, and I play it even at bluegrass jams. When we have a bunch of guitars and only one or two mandolins, I switch to my tenor uke and play it in the "chunking" style of a mandolin. It occupies basically the same tonal range as the mandolin.

While I own examples of all four types (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone) the baritone rarely comes out of its case to play, just once or twice a year. It takes a little while to get used to the chord NAMES being different -- the shapes are actually the same -- but you will catch on pretty quick. For example, your guitar D shape is the G chord in tenor GCEA tuning. You just add three letters (five half-steps if that is easier) to the chord shape you already know. Your guitar C shape becomes an F chord, but without those pesky fifth and sixth strings.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Good point Earl. I have played my tenor uke like a mandolin. I actually use the pick I use with my mandola. I chop, pick single string runs, etc. It's very bright and does fit in. Don't think you'd have to be right up on mic to be heard.

I play my baritone when I'm by myself. It sounds very nice and expressive that way.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks again everyone! I think you might have saved me from a mistake with the baritone- I'm going with a tenor. Not sure what model yet but it will be fun researching the options.

Scott
Old 04-02-2015, 06:24 AM

Mainland makes a great, practically priced tenor. I suggest getting it set up with a low G on the bottom.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 04-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Scot I purchased a Martin T1K not so long ago. You won't be disappointed.

Cheap, all Koa and loud
Old 04-03-2015, 06:10 AM

Thanks- I have read that the Martin T1 has a lot of volume, and they look great, too. So do those Mainlands. Decisions...

Thanks

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments