The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Those are nice
tks
Yep, love mine, the neck is fairly chunky but you get used to it quickly. If you like fairly skinny necks then the current TV's, std's and Donovan j-45 are nice guitars.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Another one for your list!

My Fave is the J-45 'Banner 1942 Reissue' if you can find one (50 made worldwide). I also like the Legend and the TV. The all mahogany J-45 is a decent guitar (grest fingerpicker) as is the std model and the j-45 1965 Donovan edition (very warm). The Legend and TV are a little mellower, the legend has that Gibson 'thud'.

The 42 reissue is dry, loud and punchy yet it still retains some warmth.

Arguably the finest J-45's are the original banner's so an original banner J-45 or a decent Gibson (has to be Gibson other fine brands do not capture the tone) banner replica would be my choice. Something with a fat neck for maximum tone!

Gibson strikes again! This model is historically inaccurate. By 1942 Gibson had replaced the "firestripe" celluloid it was using for pickguards for a mock tortoiseshell variety. Just another marketing ploy by Gibson to get you to spend more money on an "upgrade." Don't be fooled!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Gibson strikes again! This model is historically inaccurate. By 1942 Gibson had replaced the "firestripe" celluloid it was using for pickguards for a mock tortoiseshell variety. Just another marketing ploy by Gibson to get you to spend more money on an "upgrade." Don't be fooled!
False:

Here's What author and banner expert John Thomas said about this guitar when i posted an NGD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Congratulations on a very cool guitar!

The guitar is a copy of one of four Banner Gibsons that I lent to Gibson: 1942 J-45 (the model for your guitar), 1943 SJ, 1943 LG-1, and 1944 maple J-45. Gibson made 50 copies of the first three, but decided not to reissue the maple j-45.

Here's the original:

That guitar also appears on the cover of my book:

We recorded track 9 of the companion CD with this guitar.

Again, congratulations.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I do think that neck mass affects tone. (Though, I'm not sure that I could tell a large necked from a small necked guitar in a blind listening test!)

Anyway, such a cool guitar you've got there. The original from which your guitar was modeled was a sensational sounding guitar. You can hear it here, on the clip from track 9.

I like that Gibson replicated this specific guitar rather than creating a generic "Banner" clone. The guitar sports two unusual-for-Banner-era features: the firestripe pickguard and the J-35, pre-Banner type rosette. Very cool, to my eyes.

Again, congratulations.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

Last edited by bobster7; 04-03-2015 at 09:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion