The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM

True enough, I just couldn't help think of having that black satin one hanging out with the Red and Butterscotch SG's currently in the stable.

I wonder if the stores that are being converted to Best Buy will carry on with the musical instruments or ditch them all together?

Now - I did not get the 50's Tribute SG back from my tech in time before I took off for another 3 week work stint so playing it will have to wait.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
True enough, I just couldn't help think of having that black satin one hanging out with the Red and Butterscotch SG's currently in the stable.

I wonder if the stores that are being converted to Best Buy will carry on with the musical instruments or ditch them all together?

Now - I did not get the 50's Tribute SG back from my tech in time before I took off for another 3 week work stint so playing it will have to wait.
Do you travel for your work stints? A lot of people here travel to Alberta for work.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:03 PM

I do travel, 3 weeks out 1 week in. Hopefully that will settle down some here in the near future.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I do travel, 3 weeks out 1 week in. Hopefully that will settle down some here in the near future.
Hopefully you have the AGF to keep you company. Do you have access to an acoustic when you're away?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM

The Internet is there(I'm based out of Houston) so AGF, FaceTime etc all available.

As for guitars - I work with 2 other guitar players who are also GASsers, there are plenty of guitars around and people to jam with on lunch and after work.

I have a Gretsch Rancher Falcon jumbo and a Wahburn Woodcraft WCSD40S(spalted maple back and sides, Sitka spruce top, mahogany neck with maple finger board) at the office. Both sound way above their price point and both are real head turners.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The Internet is there(I'm based out of Houston) so AGF, FaceTime etc all available.

As for guitars - I work with 2 other guitar players who are also GASsers, there are plenty of guitars around and people to jam with on lunch and after work.

I have a Gretsch Rancher Falcon jumbo and a Wahburn Woodcraft WCSD40S(spalted maple back and sides, Sitka spruce top, mahogany neck with maple finger board) at the office. Both sound way above their price point and both are real head turners.
Sounds like you're all set at the office!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 AM

Default NGD - Gibson SG '50s Tribute

Sweet, Dru! I like the finish. For some reason I still feel satin and Matt finishes are really classy, apart from actual price I don't feel a non-gloss finish is cheap.

I bet it sounds awesome - I've replied on your earlier thread about P90 pickups, there's something every special about the sound. And let's not forget, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 solo is a LP with P90s.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Sweet, Dru! I like the finish. For some reason I still feel satin and Matt finishes are really classy, apart from actual price I don't feel a non-gloss finish is cheap.

I bet it sounds awesome - I've replied on your earlier thread about P90 pickups, there's something every special about the sound. And let's not forget, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 solo is a LP with P90s.
Hey Pieterh, I just went back to that P-90 thread and read your post. That was the first I had heard that Gilmore had used a Les Paul with P-90s with that solo - I'm glad you posted that. Great tone on that solo too and the way Gilmore does those Full step and a half bends is amazing.

P-90 thread:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=362285
Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
And let's not forget, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 solo is a LP with P90s.
Thanks Pieter for noting that. My jaw dropped when I learned this fact back in the 90s. To think that one of Gilmour's most iconic solos came from a Les Paul! The bootlegged live versions of that song featured David on a Strat and they never sounded quite right to my ears.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Congrats Dru. SG's with P-90's are great. I've had several over the years.

I looked at one just like yours Thursday at Sam Ash Nashville. It was a 2013 model and had "PROTOTYPE" stamped on the back of the headstock. Is yours like that?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY000 View Post
Congrats Dru. SG's with P-90's are great. I've had several over the years.

I looked at one just like yours Thursday at Sam Ash Nashville. It was a 2013 model and had "PROTOTYPE" stamped on the back of the headstock. Is yours like that?
Thanks.

Yep, that's the one with the "PROTOTYPE" stamp. I believe it's there to symbolize that there were no SGs in the '50s but this is what it would be like if it did exist. The guitar itself is not a prototype ... I think all of the '50s tributes have them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars