The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Default best pickup for an OM (specifically an OM-21 special)

Hi
I have a friend who has his heart set on getting a Martin OM-21 special. He'd need to be able to play electrified and we're wondering what would be the best pickup for this guitar/body style. I was thinking a K&K pwm would be a good fit, but have only played a K&K through a dred body. Anyone with any advice or experience in this area? Anything priced reasonably would be fine- ie doesn't have to be as cheap as a K&K but nothing worth thousands.
thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM

I have K&K's in my Blueridge and in my Taylor 512. Both small bodied OM size guitars. Been using K&K minis for years. Hard to beat with a good preamp. I have the K&K XLR preamp which is "good" and run it through an old SWR California Blonde. I'm open to trying a different preamp that's even better though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-16-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a Furch / Stonebridge OM and have installed a Fishman Matrix Infinity, and combine it with a Fishman Aura spectrum.

Combined the tone is heavenly, very warm, and most importantly highly natural.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

...if you want a bridgeplate transducer the K&K is a perfect option for your guitar...likely it will be naturally bassy on account of the vintage style forward bracing of an OM-21 Special but you just roll that off and you've gots tons of signal to work with ...and its passive and light as a feather!!!...my favorite UST is a D-Tar wavelength...it has an 18 volt power supply from 2 AA batteries which can be onboard or outboard...the higher voltage helps tame the infamous piezo quack that UST's are known for....i like Fishman , Baggs and Sunrise soundhole pickups equally..they don't sound the same but they all sound musical....a dual source setup is hard to beat...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I am completely satisfied with my K&K in my Santa Cruz OM/PW. Yes it needs EQ ( mid roll-off) and I use mine with a Red Eye pre-amp. But, as long as your friend is not planning to play in a live band (drums, bass, electric guitar etc.)with his OM, the K&K should work very well.

Steve
Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Multi-Source Systems

Aloha,

IME, no single pickup of any kind or brand sounds very good when used alone on an acoustic guitar, & I've tried or gigged with most of the ones that have come out in the last 40 years since piezo technology arrived.

I would look at multi-source pickup systems first for better sound, more tonal options & increased control for achieving better sound in more types of venues & gigs. It's worth it.

I am also of the opinion that if one of your sources is not a mic (internal or external), then your acoustic guitar will not sound very natural or acoustic.

I'd look at something like the K&K Trinity System (SBT P/U & internal mic combo), EQ'ed, blended & summed by a DTAR Solstice two-channel blending preamp (it can handle three sources). Such a dual-source system will give you that acoustic sound & control. It costs about $550, half the cost of a decent guitar. Don't amplify nice OM's on the cheap.

Of course, you should definitely go out & use your ears in trying out lots of pickup systems before you buy. But IMO, the K&K Trinity System/ DTAR Solstice combo would be a very good place to begin your amplification journey. Much better than ANY pickup alone (including K&K).

Don't put in on-board controls & think twice before going with any pickup system that requires batteries.

A mic would sound the best of all on a nice OM.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-17-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I'll place another vote for the Fishman Matrix Infinity....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm currently performing with a couple of Martin OMs, so I ought to be in a good position to answer this question -- except I happen to believe the make/model of guitar counts for almost nothing in this context. The player's style, performance mode (solo>duo>group) and venues are what need to be matched to the pros/cons of the various pickup types and mics.

Since that last factor (venues) is likely to vary quite a bit over time, Chris' advice for dual-source also buys you flexibility. Mute the mic channel early in the night at the loud bar, later as the crowd thins and quiets blend in some mic. Reverse the ratio for the quiet coffehouse or house concert.

However...the key assumption here is that you''ll have that channel blend/EQ capability at your fingertips else those of a live sound person. If you're stranded on stage with whatever guitar mix was dialed-in at sound check, then I agree with those who say save the mic for the studio.

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks heaps everyone for your thoughts. Some very sensible points brought up. I think the dual source sounds like the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
IBut, as long as your friend is not planning to play in a live band (drums, bass, electric guitar etc.)with his OM, the K&K should work very well.
He would be using it with a live band at church, although mainly for quieter songs I'd think. But this is definately a consideration so I guess +1 for the dual source
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Martin Thinline Gold+Plus Acoustic Pickup System that is made by Fishman is a good one. Perhaps someone knows the answer to this. This pickup costs about 20 less than the Fishman Matrix Infinity which is supposedly the same pickup, why the cost diff?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Martin Thinline Gold+Plus Acoustic Pickup System that is made by Fishman is a good one. Perhaps someone knows the answer to this. This pickup costs about 20 less than the Fishman Matrix Infinity which is supposedly the same pickup, why the cost difference?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Baggs Anthem

I very recently installed the Anthem in my OM-21 Special. I've had good experience with both K&K minis and Fishman Matrix, but I recently heard an anthem equipped OM in concert that convinced me that was the way to go. Mine sounds great at home through a small amp, but I'm anxious to try it with a good PA system to see what I really have here.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Martin Thinline Gold+Plus Acoustic Pickup System that is made by Fishman is a good one. Perhaps someone knows the answer to this. This pickup costs about 20 less than the Fishman Matrix Infinity which is supposedly the same pickup, why the cost diff?
They are both fantastic pickups. The diff's, the Gold Plus has a pre-amp already set up by Fishman. The Infinity has a tone dial to shape the tone to your taste and also has a bass select switch, if you reQuire more bass.
They both come in 2 sizes, for dread or anything smaller.
Either of these 2 pickups would be great for a OM special. If you are finger picker and playing softer song, I'd go Infinity. More cleaner and snappier. If you like to strum a lot more, I'd go Gold Plus more beefier, meatier, thicker sound.

Last edited by fongie; 09-21-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseheadSteve View Post
I very recently installed the Anthem in my OM-21 Special. I've had good experience with both K&K minis and Fishman Matrix, but I recently heard an anthem equipped OM in concert that convinced me that was the way to go. Mine sounds great at home through a small amp, but I'm anxious to try it with a good PA system to see what I really have here.
+1 for the Anthem. I had the pleasure on Friday night of again playing a 500 seat theater with a state-of-the-art MeyerSound sound system (I run this theater and perform there 2-3 times a year), and I was, again, mighty impressed with how much the amplified sound sounded like my Baranik. With the Highlander PAMDI I rolled off at 2800Hz just very slightly and it sounded fantastic. The only PU system that I've heard that sound better to my ears costs A LOT more.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 AM

Default pre amp for K&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I have K&K's in my Blueridge and in my Taylor 512. Both small bodied OM size guitars. Been using K&K minis for years. Hard to beat with a good preamp. I have the K&K XLR preamp which is "good" and run it through an old SWR California Blonde. I'm open to trying a different preamp that's even better though.
I have the K&K installed in my Lowden and use the red-eye preamp. Absolutely suits the pick up. Totally recommended. I just bought an OM21 Martin and will without a doubt will install that pick up. I use an AER compact60, and a Schertler Unico. Sounds identical to the guitar. If you are happy with the sound of your guitar this is the way to go, but make it clear, it sounds just like the guitar only louder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification