The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Gibson J-45
Standard 2016 17 29.31%
True Vintage 2010 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
The differences:
J-45 TV has vintage style tuners, bone nut and saddle and bone bridge pins, Adirondack spruce top and Adirondack Spruce braces. banner logo on the headstock

J-45 Standard has TUSQ nut and saddle, Sitka Spruce top, Grover Rotomatics and the frets have been Pleked.

You can't go wrong with either, my choice would be the 2016 J-45 Standard because I prefer Sitka Spurce on the J-45 over Adirondack. I think Sitka Spruce hones in the mid-range the J-45 is best known for while the Adi top makes it just bit too bright for my taste (exception being J-45's with Rosewood back and sides for which I do prefer Adirondack tops). You can always change out the TUSQ nut, saddle and go to vintage style tuners if that's where your preference is. Adirondack gives you a bit more brightness and clang so if that's what you're into then that's the way to go

Don't forget that the J-45 True Vintage also has the "advanced" bracing, while the Standard has standard x-bracing.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM

Tev, I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I've played multiple examples of both of those models, on several occasions side by side. I've played mediocre True Vintage models that were completely surpassed by Standard models, and vice versa.

Theoretically the True Vintage should be the livelier and better-sounding instrument, but it still comes down to how good the particular top on that individual guitar happens to be.

In your situation, living in Norway as you do, I'd probably buy the True Vintage.

But you might want to keep shopping rather than to commit to buying one of these two guitars; as others have said, I think you can find better prices than what you've been quoted.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Is there anyway you can by them both and return one? It's going to come down to the individual guitars not the specs and side by side is the best way to judge.
I'll look into it. It might be a possibility :-)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
How important is the pickup? TV = no pickup.
Not THAT important. I'll do fine without it.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated :-)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM

I'll add another vote to hold off until you have a chance to play the guitar you're going to buy, whether it's a J-45 or any acoustic guitar for that matter.

If that is simply not possible, then I'm wondering how much value there is in having a Gibson warranty if you bought the new Standard as you're located in Norway (I have no idea.) I will add that for whatever reason, the Gibson acoustics that I've found to be the most impressive all have featured sitka tops. I've got nothing against adirondack (I own a guitar with an adirondack top), I just don't care for it as much as I do sitka when it comes to Gibson acoustics.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
I'll add another vote to hold off until you have a chance to play the guitar you're going to buy, whether it's a J-45 or any acoustic guitar for that matter.

If that is simply not possible, then I'm wondering how much value there is in having a Gibson warranty if you bought the new Standard as you're located in Norway (I have no idea.) I will add that for whatever reason, the Gibson acoustics that I've found to be the most impressive all have featured sitka tops. I've got nothing against adirondack (I own a guitar with an adirondack top), I just don't care for it as much as I do sitka when it comes to Gibson acoustics.

I'm sure about Norway, but in Canada the warranty is only one year, while the store can sell further warranty.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I can't tell them apart at all. I think someone probably could playing them, but the video is useless.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Congratulations on narrowing it down to 2 fabulous guitars. You can't go wrong with either. No one can tell you to find better prices. You will get the best price you can, in your location. Too many North American's do not understand the way the rest of the world operates. I'm not going to vote because you have to decide.

My advice, if you can't play both, is to get a good video recording of both and make your decision. Both will be great but which one you prefer will be a personal decision. I would want to play both, but if that is not possible, get the one you prefer from some type of evaluation - video or audio only.

Good luck and post photos of the winner.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Sorry, can't help you with the poll. Never played a true vintage. But I can tell you that my 2016 Standard is a fantastic guitar.
Same here. Tested mine against a TV from 2015. Standard came out on top by a wide margin!

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Of the two, I actually prefer the Standard. The few J-45 TVs that I played sounded a bit thin and harsh to my ears. The sitka top seems to preserve that smooth top end with just enough jangle in the trebles for my taste.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:14 AM

Need to play them both if possible, but if you cant Id not hesitate for one second on the True Vintage. It should sound fabulous by now with 6 years of play, and Ive only heard one TV that sounded anything less than spectacular. (but that one really was dead as a door bell)

With standard J-45's they are much more hit n' miss.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 AM

I'd go for the TV. I've played many examples of each and the TV's have always sounded more pleasing to MY ears, but the standard J-45 is still very a nice guitar.

To my mind the TV's consistently have a much drier, more nasal tone (some might perceive this as 'thin') and get closer to the vintage guitars they are trying to emulate. To me the ultimate Gibson J-45's are the original banners but I'm bias because I'm saving for one and currently own a very rare Gibson banner reissue! To me the modern standards are very good guitars but they have a lusher tone that does not equate to a J-45 in my mind.

The original banners I've played up to now have been very loud, punchy and dry instruments. It doesn't seem to matter whether they were Adirondack topped, mahogany or even maple they have all shared these traits to varying degrees and this is something i think the TV gets a little closer to. The standard is a more modern sounding instrument, if that's the tone you prefer get the standard.

Whatever you do make sure you buy a Gibson though, they have character like no other brand despite their (at times) infuriating eccentricity.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Add my vote for the TV. I have yet to find a Standard that makes me want it over my TV, although I've played a few nice Standards that I wouldn't mind having in their own right. The lighter build, the resonance, the responsiveness, the volume, the punch and the slightly fatter neck profile all make the TV a winner for me. I agree that it sounds like an old J-45.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 AM

I'll go waaaay out on a limb and suggest that you get the best-sounding one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion