The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Congrats, it's a beauty! Enjoy.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

After years and years of playing Les Pauls, they fit my body better than any other electric. Or do I fit therm? However, after playing some pretty beefy LPs, I'm actually having to adapt to these featherweight, chambered, recent models. I mean, I need the lighter weight, I want the lighter weight, but it kind of feels funny. Less profound or something. Less like a millstone?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Bob, is there a huge difference between the $800 studios and the $2,500 LPs? I have an Epi now, but I was thinking about one of the studios. BTW, I really enjoyed the treatise on soloing on your website.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Bob, is there a huge difference between the $800 studios and the $2,500 LPs? I have an Epi now, but I was thinking about one of the studios. BTW, I really enjoyed the treatise on soloing on your website.
Thanks for your kind words!

There are differences, but they aren't as big as one might imagine. The Standards, Traditionals, Deluxes, and other higher-line instruments have a thicker mahogany slab than the Studios and have bound bodies and necks. The electronics are the same or similar. I've seen Studios with Burstbuckers and with the 498T and 490R combination and I've seen more upper-line LPs with the same. These days everything below the Historic level seems to be chambered to deal with the weight of the currently-available mahogany. If you ask me, that chambering reduces the difference between the deeper and shallower mahogany portions of the different guitar's bodies.

I've long said the LP Studio is the best deal in the Gibson line. From what I can glean, the Studio started as an attempt to compete with the PRS design. PRS has applied CNC milling and, not having to deal with 40 years of tradition, dropped some of the hand-tooled features such as the bound necks, to decrease the cost. The bound neck is fretted then bound then finished, and the residual binding material and finish are hand-removed. Without the binding, the guitar can be offered at a much lower price. The frets on the current Studios are Plek'd so you end up with a usable action. The result is that you end up with a guitar that sounds and feels very much like a top-drawer LP. The pickups and electronics are high-enough quality that you don't have the issues that have plagued the Epi line - feedback, noise, and scratchy controls. Just find a neck that feels right to you and pickups that sound right to you and you are off to the races.

Now, you do have to choose your features. If you want a classic LP sound, you need to go with an instrument with a maple cap and good humbuckers. The current '50s Tribute Satin does that. It's not a gloss finish, but the sound and feel are there. The previous '50s & '60s Tribute Satins had P-90 pickups which sound quite a bit different. By the way, in the end, the final 10% of improvement costs the final 90%.

Happy hunting!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification