The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default kustom speaker type

I have a Kustom 4x12 cabinet from the middle 80's. I'm trying to find out what kind of speakers are inside without ripping out the back plywood.I have a serial number of 133625, but I can't find any info on the internet. My reason for this question is that I would like to add a bass head to it and use it as a bass amp. Am I barking up the wrong tree.? The speakers have a silver center dome section. I think JBL used that look back then. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer9898 View Post
I have a Kustom 4x12 cabinet from the middle 80's. I'm trying to find out what kind of speakers are inside without ripping out the back plywood.I have a serial number of 133625, but I can't find any info on the internet. My reason for this question is that I would like to add a bass head to it and use it as a bass amp. Am I barking up the wrong tree.? The speakers have a silver center dome section. I think JBL used that look back then. Thanks for any help.
I cannot help you out directly with the 80' s model. However I can tell you that I have a 3 X 12 black tuck-n-roll unit as part of a Kustom ((((200)))) unit (my speaker cabinet dates 1970 of which I bought new). My speakers have the chrome cone which are Jensens. Not sure about your newer model.

There is a site at VintageKustom.com that might be able to assist you.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Not a Kustom expert, but I owned a Fender Dual Showman in the late '60s which had two JBL D130F 15" speakers with the aluminum centerdomes. The JBL 12" counterpart to these would be model D120F.

These are currently unavailable new, but I hear many people are using Weber "California 12s" as replacements. Also the Beyma Liberty-8 is another replacement option for vintage JBL 12" musical instrument speakers.

Last edited by endpin; 05-27-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Lightbulb

If the magnets are square, you've got CTS speakers...quite a few Kustoms used these.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

So my goal is to add a bass head and have a decent bass amplifier. Do I have a chance ?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Time and money will do the trick every time.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Why do I bother to ask.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer9898 View Post
Why do I bother to ask.
If the aluminum dust cap has a black spot in the center, it is an Eminence speaker. As I recall, in the '60s and '70s Kustom used to offer amps with Altec-Lansing and CTS speakers both of which came with aluminum dust caps but I didn't know what they offered in the '80s. The Altecs had a larger diameter dust cap than the CTS speakers. Unfortunately, even if we can identify the speaker brand without removing the back, there is no way to determine if the speakers were designed for guitars or bass guitars.

I would hook up the cabinet to a bass amp and give it a try. I have a pair of JBL E120 speakers (intended for guitar use) in a Music Man reflex cabinet and a bass guitarist I know loves the way they sound with his bass guitars.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Genuine JBL 12" speakers had 4" voice coils which could take anything you could throw at them including bass. Most of the modern day replacements might have a 4" metal center-dome/dustcover for "the look" but a smaller voice coil.

Before you buy a replacement though, be sure and check your wiring configuration for the four speaker combo which will determine what coil impedance you will need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification