The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2021, 09:58 AM

I kind of have my heart set on m80, but I want to install it on a parlour guitar and the soundhole might be a bit too small. My luthier says he likes the idea, he's been working on my guitar and knows what I want, and is familiar with the pickup as well and says it will blend all together very well, but he still thinks he'll have to reshape the soundhole a bit. If there's any concern out here on the forum, if anyone has any bad experience with such an operation and wants to convince me to reconsider "speak now or hold your peace forever!"
Old 07-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

No way I would carve in to a soundhole to accommodate a pickup. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlado View Post
I kind of have my heart set on m80, but I want to install it on a parlour guitar and the soundhole might be a bit too small. My luthier says he likes the idea, he's been working on my guitar and knows what I want, and is familiar with the pickup as well and says it will blend all together very well, but he still thinks he'll have to reshape the soundhole a bit. If there's any concern out here on the forum, if anyone has any bad experience with such an operation and wants to convince me to reconsider "speak now or hold your peace forever!"
Old 07-09-2021, 10:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yikes! Don't do it!

David Shepherd
Pickup Designer
Mojotone Pickups
NC-1 Soundhole Pickup
Old 07-09-2021, 10:45 AM

Following with interest. Got a D28 a month ago and whilst still paying it off on finance I don't want to modify it til I pay it off in full, which I will get an LR Baggs Anthem installed.

In the meantime I want something that can go on there with little fuss, something like the LR Baggs M80 or even the iRig acoustic stage. I dislike the piezo electric guitar string clacky sounding pickups.

I initially looked at the M1 active which is pretty decent but I don't know how it'll sound in my guitar. The M80 seems a bit better from what I've seen.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:34 PM

I use a Shadow SH141 in my main guitar. Great value pickup, decent acoustic sound that somewhat reflects the characteristics of the guitar. I prefer the sound to the Fishman Isys undersaddle system in my backup guitar, which sounds a bit thin especially when fingerpicking.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:38 PM

Default K&K Pure Mini

I had the K&K Pure Mini put into my Larrivee and my 000-15SM. I run it through a K&K Pre-amp and a Vox acoustic amp. I really like it. You can control the volume and tone with the pre-amp as well as the amp. I had these installed after reading that Molly Tuttle uses the K&K pickup. She runs hers through a Tone Dexter pre-amp. No drilling of soundholes involved. The Larrivee already had the end-pin hole drilled to the proper width so that saved me $25 off the installation. They had to bore out the end-pin hole on the Martin (had to widen the existing hole).

Last edited by DBW; 07-11-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

i got one of these and its good. mojotone NC-1 Soundhole Pickup. i don't believe you'll be disappointed.
don't think enough people have tried one to give it a fair shot compared to other soundhole pickups.

was looking for something for my hd28v without making an intrusive commitment. liked it good enough
to drill out endpin and install permanently. if i find something i think is better later, easy changeout.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:07 PM

One of my guitars had a smaller soundhole, M1a/m80 fit, but required I take the tabs off and reach inside to install them underneath. A real pain to change the battery. I eventually went with a Fishman Rare Earth, fit no problem, and it’s less noticeable too.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 07-12-2021, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggmike View Post
Anybody have knowledge or personal experiences with soundhole pickups? I notice some that are very inexpensive, but are they any good? Thanks.
I have Seymour Duncan mag mic and Sunrise pickup. I like to tone of Sunrise pickup more, it is passive (no need battery) but it's a bit heavier.

Seymour Duncan is an active pickup (require battery) which contains a mic which will provide a tone with more air / realistic sound but not big difference.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 07-12-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Don’t do that, please!!! Unless it’s a beater that you don’t care about, please don’t chop it to fit a pickup. Find a pickup that fits better first. As a luthier friend of mine said when I asked him to modify something for me, “don’t be stupid, I’m not going to do that as you’ll only ask me to undo it in a year’s time. You can sand something off, but you can’t sand it back on again!”
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I have Seymour Duncan mag mic and Sunrise pickup. I like to tone of Sunrise pickup more, it is passive (no need battery) but it's a bit heavier.

Seymour Duncan is an active pickup (require battery) which contains a mic which will provide a tone with more air / realistic sound but not big difference.
I use the above also. Sunrises mainly, but I have a MagMic in my Dove. Both excellent pickups, absolutely world class. Sunrise is the best pickup I have ever used.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification