The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I really had high hopes for the Roland AC-33 several years back but I found it terribly underpowered so it got sold.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if you got yours yet but I went ahead and ordered one to see if I liked it better than my Mobile Cube. I do like it better. It seems quieter to me and I like having a separate dedicated volume control for the audio in for my iPhone or iPod. The reverb is decent and I like having the "wide" eq switch. A downside is you don't have control over the chorus (it's just an on/off switch) but I never used it that much on previous Roland amps.

The AC amp is about the same size and form factor as the Mobile Cube. One improvement over the Mobile Cube that I see is the power on/off button on the side. They created a little recessed area around it which prevents it from being pushed into the "on" position accidentally. This happened to my Roland Cube a few times when I had it stored in the closet and/or in the bag that fits it.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I don't know if you got yours yet but I went ahead and ordered one to see if I liked it better than my Mobile Cube. I do like it better. It seems quieter to me and I like having a separate dedicated volume control for the audio in for my iPhone or iPod. The reverb is decent and I like having the "wide" eq switch. A downside is you don't have control over the chorus (it's just an on/off switch) but I never used it that much on previous Roland amps.

The AC amp is about the same size and form factor as the Mobile Cube. One improvement over the Mobile Cube that I see is the power on/off button on the side. They created a little recessed area around it which prevents it from being pushed into the "on" position accidentally. This happened to my Roland Cube a few times when I had it stored in the closet and/or in the bag that fits it.
Wow, thanks for the review! Haven't gotten mine yet. I have a custom dulcimer on order and just bought some stuff for my fiddle. So, this purchase will probably occur later in the year when my "mad money" has time to recover. I appreciate the feedback. Glad you like it. Enjoy!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-20-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I really had high hopes for the Roland AC-33 several years back but I found it terribly underpowered so it got sold.
The AC-33 is biased low. I have been able to get over +10db output using an LRBaggs Para Acoustic DI before the input of the Roland AC-33, Blueser. I still use the powerful AC-33 as an on stage monitor and PA feed. Ric
Old 01-20-2016, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Roland Mobile AC Acoustic Guitar Amp

Yeah also resorted to the Para DI as well. Been there and done.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah also resorted to the Para DI as well. Been there and done.
All of my performing musician friends are happy with this solution. So am I. Everything else goes to the FOH and BOH, period. The only flaws with the AC-33 are incompetent sound engineers. Ric
Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Roland Mobile AC Acoustic Guitar Amp

Frets, I just spent two hours with my Martin CEO7, a Fishman NEO-D pickup and the AC. Having a blast.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Just picked up a Roland Mobile AC and couldn't be happier. It's awesome with my mountain dulcimer, and with the guitar, it sure is impressive. Plenty of volume and control options. A nice acoustic sound. A great value at $129. Love the small size and the battery operation. Exactly what I was hoping for.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification