The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Default I really envy those of you living in the US

Yes the title sound provocative. But I truly do envy you guys for having a lot of choice back in the US whether it is on choice of guitar or anything accessories related to it.

The good news is I have a sis-in-law living in the US and she is flying back to Jakarta this coming May 16th and guess what ? I have been doing online shopping like crazy the past few weeks and buy any guitar accessories in US online store and have her bring it over all the way to Indonesia.

Here's my shopping list :
1. Planet Wave Hygrometer
2. Planet Wave Guitar Headstand
3. Fred Kelly Slick Pick both Heavy and Medium 6 pcs of each
4. Fred Kelly Speed Pick both Heavy and Medium 6 pcs of each
5. Boss FS 6 Footswitch
6. Taylor Gold plated truss rod screw
7. Taylor Gold plated strap pin
8. 10 Packs of Elixir
9. 4 packs of D'addadario Exp Light
10. Some Pete Huttlinger DVD
11. Some Tommy Emmanuel DVD
and the list goes on and on.....

Well I can't recall them all but at least there is still 4-5 item I can't even recall.

Yep, Christmas do come too early some time and I really post this just to share my excitement.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM

Enjoy your "goodie bag" from the States.

We do have a lot to be thankful for here and often take our lifestyles and country for granted.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Hendra…
Enjoy Christmas and pace yourself - too much excitement could lead to outbursts of ....... musical expressions (like song and dance)!!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM

And let me be the first to urge you to do something extremely nice for your dear sweet sister-in-law once she returns. That's going above and beyond the call of duty and familial obligation, for a non-musician to carry all that stuff back for you.

So take her out for a very nice dinner, at the very least.

Have fun with all your cool new stuff!

Wade Hampton Miller

PS I have a great sister-in-law, as well. Isn't it nice when that happens?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 AM

While getting these goodies back to Jakarta is nice, I think it is not what I envy people who live in the US.

These goodies can be easily bought and shipped out of the US. A little more expensive (shipping), yes, but easily available.

The thing I envy most is the huge selection of vintage guitars, particularly guitars with woods like Brazilian rosewood, which cannot be legally exported out of the US without proper documentation. And for vintage guitars, these documentation do not exist.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhan View Post
Hendra,

if you were getting jealous of Healdsburg and Newport, check out:

http://www.guitarbench.com/specials/...tar-show-2010/
WOW. That's awesome man. Thanks for the heads up. I marked my calendar and will definitely be there. Finally we have such event in our part of world.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 AM

Smile Tell Us Please About The Best Of Indonesia

Thanks for your vote of confidence about us here living is the USA .

What inspires you there at you home area . Where do you go to have a good afternoon when on holiday ? What out door / indoor area do you like to take an acoustic guitar and play a little David Gates ?

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfret View Post
While getting these goodies back to Jakarta is nice, I think it is not what I envy people who live in the US.

These goodies can be easily bought and shipped out of the US. A little more expensive (shipping), yes, but easily available.

The thing I envy most is the huge selection of vintage guitars, particularly guitars with woods like Brazilian rosewood, which cannot be legally exported out of the US without proper documentation. And for vintage guitars, these documentation do not exist.
True, I envy most on the choice of guitar rather than those goodies stuff. In fact I was planning to buy a Larrivee OM sight unseen but change my mind at the last minute cost it will be too much of hassle for non guitar player to carry a guitar all the way.

But buying goodies from mail order could be troublesome as I would need to pick those up personally and the risk of getting in lost. In fact I bought some string from the US in early March and it never arrive until now.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
And let me be the first to urge you to do something extremely nice for your dear sweet sister-in-law once she returns. That's going above and beyond the call of duty and familial obligation, for a non-musician to carry all that stuff back for you.

So take her out for a very nice dinner, at the very least.

Have fun with all your cool new stuff!

Wade Hampton Miller

PS I have a great sister-in-law, as well. Isn't it nice when that happens?
Definitely Wade, I had it all planned out as a gesture of attitude for all the hassle I have entailed to her in carrying all those stuff.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
Thanks for your vote of confidence about us here living is the USA .

What inspires you there at you home area . Where do you go to have a good afternoon when on holiday ? What out door / indoor area do you like to take an acoustic guitar and play a little David Gates ?

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
Hi Ramon,

We had quite a lot of good thing although it's not easily accessible due to the heavy traffic in Jakarta. For me life is quite simple, on a nice afternoon, I'll brew a pot of coffee sitting in the front porch heading towards some shady bamboo tree, play my guitar while seeing children play.

On a long weekend/ holiday we can go to the mountain area which is about 1.5 hours drive. There I get to play in some open park (I don;t play in public coz I am too shy for that).

Some time we'll go really outside of Jakarta, one of them is Bali which i am sure you've heard of. It's a beautiful place where you'll find a mix of nice beaches, underwater life,scenery, cultural festival, national heritage etc.

It's really worth seeing if you happen to be around in Asia.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

YouTube Channel
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
Hi Ramon,

. . . . There I get to play in some open park (I don;t play in public coz I am too shy for that).

. . . .
I hope you can get past your shyness, Hendra, because you play and sing too well to keep it to yourself and YouTube.

Enjoy your goodies when they arrive!

Bill
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Is this a great country or what?

I never thought about vintage guitars and exports. Oh, and our music scene is so pervasive that really great instruments exist everywhere you turn. Around these parts the term "old Martin" might mean twenty years or it might mean seventy. Americans really like to collect "stuff".
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Yes, we have more to be thankful for here in the States than we can carry in our awareness.
We are most blessed...and I am not even a religious man.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Thumbs up Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
Hi Ramon,

We had quite a lot of good thing although it's not easily accessible due to the heavy traffic in Jakarta. For me life is quite simple, on a nice afternoon, I'll brew a pot of coffee sitting in the front porch heading towards some shady bamboo tree, play my guitar while seeing children play.

On a long weekend/ holiday we can go to the mountain area which is about 1.5 hours drive. There I get to play in some open park (I don;t play in public coz I am too shy for that).

Some time we'll go really outside of Jakarta, one of them is Bali which i am sure you've heard of. It's a beautiful place where you'll find a mix of nice beaches, underwater life,scenery, cultural festival, national heritage etc.

It's really worth seeing if you happen to be around in Asia.
============================

Hendra :

I love island style living . I used to live on the Big Island of Hawaii and really miss the ocean . I surf and the pictures of Bali's surf stands out in my mind's eye and reminds me of Hawaii a lot . I scuba dive too and would love to see the reefs of Indonesia . What is the best time of the year to visit Indonesia ?

Post some pics of where you like to go like Bali and maybe

> Uluwatu <

Don't be too shy the videos of you playing show you have reached a level of performance that shows you have accomplished quite a lot as far as your abilities to perform in public would get a positive reaction .

To be a little corny here - -

Obi one to Luke :

" Reach out Luke - Believe in yourself "

heh heh - No fooling your pretty good .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Tell me about it. The price of getting it shipped overseas(for me Ireland) properly often costs a small fortune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion