The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM

I have a set of these strings on the only guitar I own, a 2016 Martin D-18. I am not part of Martin's beta testing group, I purchased them from Sweetwater when they became available and put them on the last week of July.

As for sound, I find them to be a bit dry and woody, articulate and very nicely balanced between bass-mids-highs. To my ears and with my guitar, they definitely do not sound muted. I have never tried Monels, but if in fact Monels sound muted, these are nothing like that. My guitar came with MSP-7200's, by comparison, the Titaniums do not have any of the zingy PB sound. As others have stated, if you like the extra zip that PB's offer (especially when new), you may not like the Titaniums.

Although some have disputed how these strings can stay in tune more effectively than others, my experience so far is that they require far less re-tuning than any other string I've tried. I don't understand why, but I do know that I've spent a lot less time using my Polytune since I've put these strings on.

Compared to the MSP-7200's and MSP-4150's I've had on my D-18, the Titaniums are easier on my fingers when playing for longer periods of time, and also make barre chords easier on my 64 year old hands and fingers.

As for longevity, I've only had them on my guitar since late July, so I cannot comment on that aspect. Over all, I am very happy with them, would certainly recommend them and also can appreciate that not everyone will be willing or able to spend $40 for a set of strings. But if you can afford them, I do not think you will be disappointed with your purchase.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM

They are not Titanium strings, fellas. They are Pure Nickel Wound strings. The only part that is titanium alloy is the string core around which the wraps are wound.

Ever wonder why Martin does not make these with phosphor-bronze or 80/20 bronze wraps?

Martin did a sleight of hand with these. And very well, too.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM

I use Martin Monel on my 00-15 and like the sound. So far one respondent may have compared the Martin Monels to the Titanium strings. I was unclear if they said they sounded the same or very similar (may be my fault in understanding). Can they restate?

Anyone else who's used both Martin Monel and Titanium want to compare the sounds?

Second question: are the Martin Monels also round wound? They sort of feel like that to me (that is, a little easier to bend per equal gauge than hex core).

If the nickel wrap and core shape is the same, is the difference between the sets (other than cost) really down to break resistance or perhaps tuning stability due to the titanium core wire?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Yikes these strings and picks threads are getting to me. I feel an urge to join the cool kids and blow a little cash on things I don't really need.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 08-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
$39.99/set??? That titanium better make my fingers move like Clapton's...
Only way I'll find out is if I win a set
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Jabberwocky;5445165]They are not Titanium strings, fellas. They are Pure Nickel Wound strings. The only part that is titanium alloy is the string core around which the wraps are wound.

Ever wonder why Martin does not make these with phosphor-bronze or 80/20 bronze wraps?

Martin did a sleight of hand with these. And very well, too.[/QUOTE]

Yup....always looking for a *new* way to separate you from your common... cents
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM

I tried some titanium strings on a few electrics and the frets weeent so fond of them. I am not sure how that may transfer to acoustic strings but I’m not fond of using a string material harder than fret material on any guitar I own. It will be interesting to hear how they may or may not wear frets faster.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
$39.99/set??? That titanium better make my fingers move like Clapton's...

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-sh..._hsmi=55262704
For a company that sells one of their guitars for over $100,000.00 we shouldn't be surprised. Then again my first set of titanium skis sold for over $800.00 many years ago.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I use Martin Monel on my 00-15 and like the sound. So far one respondent may have compared the Martin Monels to the Titanium strings. I was unclear if they said they sounded the same or very similar (may be my fault in understanding). Can they restate?

Anyone else who's used both Martin Monel and Titanium want to compare the sounds?

Second question: are the Martin Monels also round wound? They sort of feel like that to me (that is, a little easier to bend per equal gauge than hex core).

If the nickel wrap and core shape is the same, is the difference between the sets (other than cost) really down to break resistance or perhaps tuning stability due to the titanium core wire?
I compared the Monels to the Titanium in my post only to have something to use as a frame of reference. There are similarities, but in the interest of staying away from hype I only wanted to say they were "similar" and if you like the Monels you might like these even better.
I have used both on the same guitar and I personally like the Titaniums better, but that's just me. I think they project a little better. They are not "dull" sounding to me at all but again and forever, if you really like the PB zing, you probably won't like them. I have also stated that fact multiple times in the interest of honesty. Apparently some of those who have found the tone to be wanting, either Monels or Titaniums missed that point. As far as tuning stability goes, all any of us knows is that they stay in tune really well.

I still use other strings on my other guitars because I'm happy with them on those guitars.
I have offered over and over thatI think they do well on, but not limited to, all-Mahogany and Mahogany-backed guitars.

Lastly, I am uncertain as to whether the Retros are round core.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Now the vendors are getting into the game...

Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
For a company that sells one of their guitars for over $100,000.00 we shouldn't be surprised. Then again my first set of titanium skis sold for over $800.00 many years ago.
So your titanium skis are worth equal to about 20 sets of strings it seems.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
Okay... so what did you put them on, and how do they sound, say, as compared to EJ16's? Or Martin SP's? Or Monels??

If they really last 5 years and sound great, that would be 40 bucks well spent. But if they last 5 years and sound stinky, well.....

This other thing is, I wonder how they hold up when changing tunings? I sometimes lower 1 step as I am sure many others play different tunings as well.... didn't see any data on that in the video.
Reading several older posts on titanium strings by the former maker, it seemed alternate tuning led to breakage faster than with steel strings. The maker put warnings in their packaging labeling.

Does anyone know if Martin has written precautions regarding this? If I recall, tuning down was not nearly as big an issue as for those who tune up. That was the big no-no.

OTOH, not that many people play with those type of alternate tunings. Usually drop D or DADGAD and so forth.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Please correct me but isn't the first thing to go on the string is the porous metal rounds, not the core? They can pickup hand oils, fingerboard debris etc and lodge in the pits of the rounds and in between the rounds. Even though Martin has confidently stated that the nickel winds are less corrosive.

Additionally, I remember seeing an eye-opening upside down shot of fret wear to the string winds. It was taken through a plexiglass sample neck showing the intervals of wear on all 6 strings. It showed the underside view of dents from fretting that go undetected because the damage is hidden from normal view on the bottom of the string. What about nickel dents?

Martin Titanium Core strings deliver the ultimate player’s experience with patented technology only available from Martin. Experience a new level of comfort and response with industry leading stability and superior corrosion resistance. Titanium is more flexible than steel, providing a very comfortable playing experience while remaining strong and durable. Martin uses pure Nickel to wrap the Titanium strings. Pure Nickel is naturally corrosion resistant and holds its tone for a very long time. The pure Nickel and Titanium work together to provide the ultimate corrosion-free string

I am sure they last a long time but I will wait for further reviews before I sample.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
It would be neat if Martin started shipping their new guitars with these strings...
As an incentive Martin includes a set with the 'Platinum package' that goes with any Custom Shop guitar over $15K. That surely puts the $40 price tag in a different light! Also, these new strings were offered through the 1833 shop to Martin Owner's Club members yesterday. They sold out in one day so it seems there might be a market for these strings after all.

Last edited by leew3; 08-15-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
So your titanium skis are worth equal to about 20 sets of strings it seems.
Nope, 30 sets. The price of skis have gone up since I bought those ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion