The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Default I hear the metronome, the audience doesn't

I'm new to the solo singer/guitarist game. My primary purpose for posting is that I envision a scenario in which I hear a metronome in my ear -- perhaps through one of those in ear thingamajiggys (the bigger one, not the tiny one) which keeps me in time that the audience doesn't hear. Some monitoring through the thingamajiggy would be nice, too, since in my initial forays out into the real world, I've noticed it's often hard to hear what you're doing in simple environments without a great PA or sound man around.

So: who makes an in ear (or wraparound the ear to be more specific) "thingamajiggy," and what useful devices like for instance TC Voice Live have metronomes?

A secondary question: with higher end acoustic amps like AER and the newer Acus, is the idea to just dial in one great sound for your guitar ... cause there doesn't appear to be any way to save presets. Does anyone own one of the above or similar and actually fiddle with EQ settings on the amp between songs?

Thanks for any theories and opinions.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM

I use one setting on my AER but feed it with a preamp which allows quick eq changes.

I don't understand the metronome thing. The more practice you do and the more gigs you do the more confident you will get and that is the main thing.
Martin J40
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM

As my teacher always said, start practicing with metronome. Then, without it. That was one of the best advices he gave me
Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
As my teacher always said, start practicing with metronome. Then, without it. That was one of the best advices he gave me
Kinda rings true as does the previous post I must admit
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
I use one setting on my AER but feed it with a preamp which allows quick eq changes.

I don't understand the metronome thing. The more practice you do and the more gigs you do the more confident you will get and that is the main thing.
Can you reveal the preamp or is it top secret. And feel free to talk it up.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 AM

It is also worth pointing that with solo performers subtle shift in timing adds character. The blues could never have been the blues with a metronome!
Martin J40
Old 07-20-2017, 03:48 AM

Feel the music.....!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 AM

I use one of these. I've had one for several years and only changed the battery once. It can do unusual time signatures, triplets. I sometimes use it for recording and find that it doesn't interfere with expressive subtle tempo changes.
<https://www.petersontuners.com/products/bodybeatsync/>
Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Huh ? Never used one...My metronome was the drummers bass drum
Also...your solo, you can adjust the music to your liking, slow it in spots for effect, speed it back up.. Unless you have people dancing then that might cause a train wreak
Other then being alone on stage, I think soloing would give you the biggest ability for self-expression
Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
It is also worth pointing that with solo performers subtle shift in timing adds character. The blues could never have been the blues with a metronome!
I know I am guilty of tempo shifts. Most of the time, I think it's ok and as suggested, adds character. But one way I know for sure my tempo is shifting (typically speeding up) is when I'm using my looper live. I'll capture a verse and have that ready to solo over later, then when I kick it in, sometimes its at a slower tempo than where I am at that point!!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteur LeDart View Post
I use one of these. I've had one for several years and only changed the battery once. It can do unusual time signatures, triplets. I sometimes use it for recording and find that it doesn't interfere with expressive subtle tempo changes.
<https://www.petersontuners.com/products/bodybeatsync/>
That is fascinating. I'll definitely check it out. I assume there's a tuner in there somewhere, too?

One thing I've noticed as an audience member who's been recording quite a bit although I'm just starting to play out, is that I find otherwise talented and experienced soloists or small ensembles tend to play a lot of songs at close to the exact same tempo ... which tends to put me to sleep or at least makes me lose attention. Even a few BPM difference between songs would provide a lot more variety and engage me more. The thing is, these artists don't even realize they're playing almost every song at close to the same BPM, cause no one ever told them. That would probably be because they record without producers who would catch things like that.

So while I would never dismiss the previous advise about the benefits of learning to play with and without a metronome, being able to know I'm varying the tempos would also be helpful.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
That is fascinating. I'll definitely check it out. I assume there's a tuner in there somewhere, too?

One thing I've noticed as an audience member who's been recording quite a bit although I'm just starting to play out, is that I find otherwise talented and experienced soloists or small ensembles tend to play a lot of songs at close to the exact same tempo ... which tends to put me to sleep or at least makes me lose attention. Even a few BPM difference between songs would provide a lot more variety and engage me more. The thing is, these artists don't even realize they're playing almost every song at close to the same BPM, cause no one ever told them. That would probably be because they record without producers who would catch things like that.

So while I would never dismiss the previous advise about the benefits of learning to play with and without a metronome, being able to know I'm varying the tempos would also be helpful.

Excellent point...Never thought of it..
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Looks like there's more contenders in this genre, this one, the Soundbrenner, is a "watch" you wear on your wrist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_nLhiYdfuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnk9fPA_SH0
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I attempted what you propose one time.Had a small earbud plugged in discreetly in a digital portable metronome which was in my pocket.
I would never do that again.....it was distracting,I could not keep up with its beat.Luckily the song presentation ended up in a pretty steady rhythm...
Old 07-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Trogg - Count me among those who don't think this is a great idea, but that wasn't your question. If you're going to do this:

1. If you have a mixer/monitor setup that would accommodate, you could run a phone-based metronome into your monitor.
2. If #1 is not available, you could use an earbud or headphones to hear a metronome from your phone or other device. Bluetooth would be good here.
3. For either of the above, consider using a drum machine/beat app rather than a metronome. Much more musical, even if you're the only one hearing it.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification