The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Thinking Dazzo

Anyone have a recommendation or caution with going with a Dazzo pickup in my Lowden. I sure want to capture the depth of this one since its depth is its strong suit. Lots of overtones here with amazing bass response. Can't use feedback or lack of clarity. Some here love the Trance Amulet. I have never used that but its a lot of money and a tough install. I have used the Element with an internal mic and that turned out good. Just wondering if the Dazzo is as good as they say it is.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Anyone have a recommendation or caution with going with a Dazzo pickup in my Lowden. I sure want to capture the depth of this one since its depth is its strong suit. Lots of overtones here with amazing bass response. Can't use feedback or lack of clarity. Some here love the Trance Amulet. I have never used that but its a lot of money and a tough install. I have used the Element with an internal mic and that turned out good. Just wondering if the Dazzo is as good as they say it is.
I have them installed in 5 guitars. I like them for lots of reasons. I have also installed them myself in the instruments of a few of my friends as well. If you want a natural mic like sound with no fuss it will be well worth it. They are not a one-size-fits-all pickup. Give Teddy a call at 408-310-6455. You can describe the tonal aspects of your guitar to him he will match his pickup to your guitar to achieve your desired results and take you through the install procedure.

If that doesn't suit your needs, I have a very slightly used Trance Amulet with a volume and tone control that I can sell you at a reduced price.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I have them installed in 5 guitars. I like them for lots of reasons. I have also installed them myself in the instruments of a few of my friends as well. If you want a natural mic like sound with no fuss it will be well worth it. They are not a one-size-fits-all pickup. Give Teddy a call at 408-310-6455. You can describe the tonal aspects of your guitar to him he will match his pickup to your guitar to achieve your desired results and take you through the install procedure.

If that doesn't suit your needs, I have a very slightly used Trance Amulet with a volume and tone control that I can sell you at a reduced price.

Just curious .... why are you getting rid of the Trance Amulet M-VT?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Just curious .... why are you getting rid of the Trance Amulet M-VT?
I am curious too. Is this the one you've just installed in your GS mini?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-18-2017, 02:55 AM

I'm very, very happy with the Dazzo in my guitar. I sent Teddy a recording of my guitar and he selected which one of the slightly differently tuned pickups would suit it. I think this is a big deal. Its not just a one-size-fits-all install and hope it works with your guitar situation.
The install isn't too tricky, Teddy recommends installing with epoxy, just make sure its the right type, some set rock hard, some set and still have some elasticity. I forget which specific one Teddy recommends using, but there is one that he does.

I only really have one downside, which in some cases is actually an upside. If the PA/amp i'm plugging into is set pretty flat I sometimes have to turn the volume up quite high before I hear the amplified sound. This is because the perception of the amplified sound and the guitars own acoustic sound are surprisingly similar. Its only once you turn the volume down / amp off again you realise the amplified tone was there (unless you are playing really loud then its clearly obvious)
Because the pickup is 'matched' to the guitar, I've found I need significantly less EQ adjustment. The adjustments I'm making are much more subtle tweaks vs the hacking out big chunks that I needed to make my previous pickup get to where the sound was decent.

David
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
I'm very, very happy with the Dazzo in my guitar. I sent Teddy a recording of my guitar and he selected which one of the slightly differently tuned pickups would suit it. I think this is a big deal. Its not just a one-size-fits-all install and hope it works with your guitar situation.
The install isn't too tricky, Teddy recommends installing with epoxy, just make sure its the right type, some set rock hard, some set and still have some elasticity. I forget which specific one Teddy recommends using, but there is one that he does.

I only really have one downside, which in some cases is actually an upside. If the PA/amp i'm plugging into is set pretty flat I sometimes have to turn the volume up quite high before I hear the amplified sound. This is because the perception of the amplified sound and the guitars own acoustic sound are surprisingly similar. Its only once you turn the volume down / amp off again you realise the amplified tone was there (unless you are playing really loud then its clearly obvious)
Because the pickup is 'matched' to the guitar, I've found I need significantly less EQ adjustment. The adjustments I'm making are much more subtle tweaks vs the hacking out big chunks that I needed to make my previous pickup get to where the sound was decent.

David
Well said David.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM

I had installed a Trance Amulet in a GS Mini to compare with my GS Mini with Dazzos. It was just an experiment. They are by nature very similar. After the experiment if I said one was "better" than the other it would be too subjective and not helpful to anyone. I simply can get similar results for less with the Dazzo. I could have kept the Trance in that instrument but I wanted all my guitars to have the same pickup.

I have had a lot of different pickups in my guitars. I have experimented more than most I think. I never thought I could be satisfied with any system that didn't have a mic included. This one just hits on all cylinders for me.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification