The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Fishman aura VS Lr baggs anthem . Which one is the best?

hey folks,

Which one is the best plugged sound ? fishman aura image or lr baggs anthem (tru.mic ) ?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Since no one has answered and I don't know I'll interject that I am quit happy with my Fishman aura spectrum. To me it is all that one can hope for in rendering a acoustic guitar sound over a PA.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 AM

I had a little Fishman Matrix-equipped Cort guitar which sounded pretty darn good with one of the Aura Spectrum's OM sound images.

Nevertheless, I prefer my Anthem SL-equipped cedar/mahogany OM, using a Zoom A3 for the necessary (in my case) EQ adjustments.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Although I don't have allot of time/experience with the LR Baggs, I really dig my FISHMAN Aura Spectrum... once you invest the time to audition the models & mic's thru the Fishman Data Base, its crazy quick and effortless to dial up your preferred matching sound (Love the Blend!

Last edited by CCHannah; 07-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I had a little Fishman Matrix-equipped Cort guitar which sounded pretty darn good with one of the Aura Spectrum's OM sound images.

Nevertheless, I prefer my Anthem SL-equipped cedar/mahogany OM, using a Zoom A3 for the necessary (in my case) EQ adjustments.

zoom a3 suck/steal your tone/quality ? cuz multiefx change a little bit the true sound of the pickup cuz is digital. what you think? i thought buy one but i dont like the idea of have a digital stompbox changing my lr baggs anthem sl sound. is that true? lose any quality of the pickup ?

ps: still learning english haha sorry for my mistakes
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=CCHannah;5402852]Although I don't have allot of time/experience with the LR Baggs, I really dig my FISHMAN Aura Spectrum... once you invest the time to audition the models & mic's thru the Fishman Data Base, its crazy quick and effortless to dial up your preferred matching sound (Love the Blend!

awesome pedalboard !
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=icaro738;5403242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCHannah View Post
Although I don't have allot of time/experience with the LR Baggs, I really dig my FISHMAN Aura Spectrum... once you invest the time to audition the models & mic's thru the Fishman Data Base, its crazy quick and effortless to dial up your preferred matching sound (Love the Blend!

awesome pedalboard !

Thank you buddy, took awhile, mostly trading up & buying used but I'm really happy with it! Still learning allot!

Wampler Mini Ego Compressor
Fishman Aura Spectrum
TC Electronic Mimiq Double Tracker
Ernie Ball 25k Volume Pedal
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
TC Electronic Hall Of Fame Reverb
Boss RC-3 Looper

ON STANDBY...
Keeley Memphis Sun (emulate Lo-Fi Legendary Sun Records recording studio)

Presonus Acousti-Q 12AX7 Tube Pre-Amp EQ

Last edited by CCHannah; 07-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Since no one has answered and I don't know I'll interject that I am quit happy with my Fishman aura spectrum. To me it is all that one can hope for in rendering a acoustic guitar sound over a PA.
Yes, I love my Fishman Matrix Infinity pickups through an Aura pedal. I had Baggs Anthems prior, and although I liked them, I feel that I get a fuller and more natural tone through the Aura.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
zoom a3 suck/steal your tone/quality ? cuz multiefx change a little bit the true sound of the pickup cuz is digital. what you think? i thought buy one but i dont like the idea of have a digital stompbox changing my lr baggs anthem sl sound. is that true? lose any quality of the pickup ?

ps: still learning english haha sorry for my mistakes
The Zoom A2 was an awful little pedal which did indeed screw up my sound. The Zoom A3, on the other hand, has worked very well for me and many others.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM

Although I am not in love with the Aura imaging, I will say that I preferred it to the Anthem. IMO, the Anthem took a lot more work to sound good. Yes, it does give a mic-like tone to it, but what I don't like is the actual tone of the tru-mic. It has this hi-fi quality that when paired with the Element, which I also find hi-fi; produces an unpleasant tone. I have often been tempted to go back to a Matrix/Spectrum set up or even something like the B-Band A2.2 with the spectrum (small mic blend in). I remember one time I let another musician use my guitar when I was using the Matrix/Spectrum set up. Out front the tone was absolutely fantastic. I wish I had paid more attention to the settings.

After playing years of mostly acoustic music, I have come to realize that certain mic-like systems can be fantastic. However, they often sound fantastic in the rift environments. For example, I had an Lr Baggs Lyric that sounded great through a full PA, with a sound man but whenever I would use the typical set up of two speakers, it would sound bad. Since a lot of us gigging musicians don't always have the benefit of a sound man and a full range system, it makes sense to have something that's easier to make work (spectrum/Matrix).
Old 07-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Where's the guy who always says, "You should have gotten a K&K"?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Out playing around with his/her ToneDexter/K&K combo, one presumes.

Last night I took my iSolo Acoustic Stage out for an open mic run. (Its the one with the little mic that clips to the soundhole rim.) Everything went well until I heard my amplified guitar tone suddenly get bassy during the last song. I kept going, but later noticed that I had knocked the little mic off the soundhole rim and down into the soundhole. LOL. That's one reason to like the Anthem SL or Aura better.

My feeling about Aura is that you need custom sound images for best results. Even so, it won't be good for top tapping. Albeit, the Anthem SL isn't much better for top tapping. (I presume that the Anthem isn't great for tapping because the UST captures all the frequencies below 250Hz.)

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Last night I took my iSolo Acoustic Stage out for an open mic run. (Its the one with the little mic that clips to the soundhole rim.) Everything went well until I heard my amplified guitar tone suddenly get bassy during the last song. I kept going, but later noticed that I had knocked the little mic off the soundhole rim and down into the soundhole. LOL. That's one reason to like the Anthem SL or Aura better.

My feeling about Aura is that you need custom sound images for best results. Even so, it won't be good for top tapping. Albeit, the Anthem SL isn't much better for top tapping. (I presume that the Anthem isn't great for tapping because the UST captures all the frequencies below 250Hz.)
I agree, the Anthem SL is not the best for tapping. When I play with it, I tend to hit my fist against the body during songs to get that door knock tone and it works well for that. For rhythmic tapping though, it's too thin sounding.

I also agree about the custom sound images but I do wonder how many people have actually sat there and downloaded numerous images and tried them all? I am referring to images that might not even be the same exact guitar as you are using. I bet experimentation would yield some great results with the spectrum. I am definitely guilty of giving up on it after only trying the images that came with it.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
He shoots - he scores! This is the funniest thing I've read here in a while.

Quote:
"Guy" means a "he."
Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 PM

someone had problems with feedback using fishman aura?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplification, fishman aura, lr baggs anthem, pickup