The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

SEAN:

Acousticado asks a very good question--are there color variations with the ebony veneers? The ebony veneers first noted on the Emerald site seemed whiter than what I'm seeing in the finished products. That could be caused by careful staining or by a natural darkening with the application of a clear finish. I hope Sean addresses the question?

With the whiter images I saw cream as the complimentary color. With the darker images I'm seeing beige as the complimentary color.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Hi everyone,

I saw Acousticado's comment this morning and just didn't get a chance to respond yet.

Our Woodys are created by fusing a real wood veneer to the carbon laminate during construction, which means the resin impregnates right into the wood fibres, making it one with the rest of the structure.

This process darkens the colour of the wood veneer. This was the first time that we used a Royal Ebony veneer and we did not use any staining.

After the July series instruments came out of the moulds, Alistair decided that black carbon sides would be the best fit and we are really pleased with the result. If you have any further questions, we will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Guest 928

Black might be the best, but there are other possible options that might cast a lighter look--a light grey, a light beige, for examples. Also, the ruby red would look good with the darker look.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Guest 928

I am increasingly amazed at Alistair's veneer work. It's not just that the veneers help create a unique instrument; the bookmatching is awesome.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Black might be the best, but there are other possible options that might cast a lighter look--a light grey, a light beige, for examples. Also, the ruby red would look good with the darker look.
Evan, fwiw, my amber weave topped Chimaera and my soon-to-be coco topped Chimaera both have gloss black b&s. It seems that the Royal Ebony will end-up being very close in color to the cocobolo. If amber or black/grey exposed weave b&s is not to your taste as a complement to a wood top (personally it isn't for me), I think the black gloss looks great. Ymmv.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

Tom; I think you are right. At this point, the guitar is up to Alistair. He has selected black as the match with the ebony and I respect his judgment, and yours.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom; I think you are right. At this point, the guitar is up to Alistair. He has selected black as the match with the ebony and I respect his judgment, and yours.
Just to be sure I was clear Evan, I'm referring to solid gloss black as my preference as opposed to exposed gloss black weave. In some other thread not too long ago, I had posted a pic of the solid gloss black b&s on my Chimaera. If it will help, I can find it and post in this thread. Let me know.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

Thanks for the clarification. I suspect that you rare ight--solid gloss black would probably be better with the ebony.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
They put D'addarios on them. I like the sound, but not the feel. I switched to Elixir Nanowebs for mine at the first string change. Good sound, more comfortable, way less squeek. I did recently pick up a set of Martin Lifespans that I will try on the next change (haven't tried those before).
That's great. Thanks Captain Jim!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber