The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Best strings for a Cargo??

I bought a CF Cargo travel guitar and the strings are lights (52s on the bottom) D'Addario Phosor Bronze but frankly the sound is VERY different from a wood guitar. The volume is great but the overall sound is very jangly.

Are there strings/ gauges that someone can suggest to make the guitar more "woody" and less harsh? Heavier gauge? Nickel, etc.?

Thanks
Martin John Mayer Limited Edition OM-28 JM/2003
Martin J12-40E 12 string
Martin M36/1978
Danny Ferrington Baritone
Danny Ferrington Parlor Guitar
1990 Roy Nobel Brazilian Dreadnought
Cordoba C10 Classical Crossover
Collings SJ Maple
Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Strings

I had a Cargo that I was selling to a friend. I had a set of Cleartone strings laying around so put them on so he would have a fresh set when he got it. The Cargo sounded so good I wished I hadn't committed to selling it.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 AM

You will get a lot of opinions, but you did ask for a "mellow" tone. While I can't speak to the tone of CA guitars and have not played one, carbon fiber is carbon fiber. I love Martin Retros for a warm mellow tone on my RS, even over strings that cost more than twice as much. Versatile, and hold intonation very well- even in alternate tunings. Just give them a few hours of play in before deciding on how you like them- they sound different than the PB varieties our ears are so accustomed to but man, when they settle into that "sweet spot"....
Old 07-05-2017, 12:46 PM

I have three Cargos and use Martin Lifespans on two, but on one I've been using Martin silk & Steel, which provide a very mellow tone, and superb playability. I would suggest giving them a try. Another option is to switch to mediums, which will fatten up the tone. Both options will eliminate some of the jangle.

Good luck, and enjoy your Cargo.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I have used Martin Retros on my Blackbird Lucky 13. They are nickel-based and really smooth out the janglies.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
I have used Martin Retros on my Blackbird Lucky 13. They are nickel-based and really smooth out the janglies.
Interesting. Is that what the L13 was strung up with when you recorded the guitar comparisons? The L13 sounded really nice (of course your playing was very good as well- that certainly doesn't hurt).
Old 07-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Interesting. Is that what the L13 was strung up with when you recorded the guitar comparisons? The L13 sounded really nice (of course your playing was very good as well- that certainly doesn't hurt).
Thanks Sean. No, I strung the L13 with Elixir lights so that each of the test guitars had the same strings. I do prefer the Retros on the Lucky, but chose to follow proper scientific method and minimize variables.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 PM

I had Joe build my Lucky 13 braced for mediums, because most of my guitars wear those now. Not completely sure, but I think they only added a little extra CF bracing to the neck for stiffness, so not much of a modification. I gave Blackbird a list of all the tunings I use when I ordered, and the total tensions for each. I most often use Elixir PB Nanowebs, D'Addario EJ-16, or GHS White Bronze on all my guitars.

Since I play in several alternate tunings, light gauge strings get too floppy when tuned down where I often want them. CFCFAC (Open F) is the lowest. I also often use D-d, or standard tuning minus two half steps. L13 sounds fine with either mediums or lights in standard tuning, and tuned down a whole step.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

This is helpful so thanks for all the responses!
Martin John Mayer Limited Edition OM-28 JM/2003
Martin J12-40E 12 string
Martin M36/1978
Danny Ferrington Baritone
Danny Ferrington Parlor Guitar
1990 Roy Nobel Brazilian Dreadnought
Cordoba C10 Classical Crossover
Collings SJ Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber