The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Emerald Crystal Ice finish & Tonewood amp

Hey there. Strongly looking at ordering an Emerald X20 Opus. I've wanted one for some time. Just took a trip which involved 3 airplane transfers going one way, would have liked to have a guitar with me. Also, I want a tone that isn't as bright as my Taylor. Additionally, I want a Tonewood Amp on it.

Anyone know how the Crystal Ice finish works with the Tonewood Amp? I know the finish is only on the outside, but it's just different. I don't know if the Tonewood Amp's ability to vibrate the back is hindered by all that Crystal Ice. I prefer the Crystal Ice from what I've read, less slippery.

I found one video online that was cool. It's an X7 super treble I believe, no idea of the finish on it.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Another really cool Synergy video, this time with a TWA. The amp does seem to add a real cool sound to the instrument. Neat!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:37 PM

My take from watching the video was that they were playing a joke of sorts. They pretended the sound was from the effects of the electronic device, but in the end waved the chord in front of us to show it had never been plugged in and saying "No amplification".

I think the point of the video was that what you were hearing was just the harp guitar and nothing else--and that it is amazing.

Anyone else?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
My take from watching the video was that they were playing a joke of sorts. They pretended the sound was from the effects of the electronic device, but in the end waved the chord in front of us to show it had never been plugged in and saying "No amplification".

I think the point of the video was that what you were hearing was just the harp guitar and nothing else--and that it is amazing.

Anyone else?
actually ac, that is legit. Not to undermine yet another incredible Emerald creation, but the TWA definitely is adding to that lush sound.

https://www.tonewoodamp.com

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-30-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

As may be known, the Chimaera has a round removable port on the back of the body. Not that the TWA is difficult to install on any guitar, but the port may well facilitate real easy installation. I'm going to consider a TWA for my upcoming 6/12 Chimaera.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Anyone else?
Maybe you aren't familiar with the tonewood amp. You plug your guitar into it and attach it to the back of your guitar. It then vibrates the guitar and the signal is amplified naturally with added processing. There is no speaker, just the box you saw attached to the back of the guitar. That's why they are showing the cable to indicate that it wasn't plugged into an amplification system of any sort.

The unique aspect of this video is that the super treble has three pickup systems. That enabled this fellow to run the tonewood amp on only the treble harp strings.

Natural reverb does occur in guitars. However, if you listen carefully you can hear the digital delay when he plucks harder.

In retrospect, I should not have put that video in this thread. So far no one has answered the question I asked. LOL!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Maybe you aren't familiar with the tonewood amp. You plug your guitar into it and attach it to the back of your guitar. It then vibrates the guitar and the signal is amplified naturally with added processing. There is no speaker, just the box you saw attached to the back of the guitar. That's why they are showing the cable to indicate that it wasn't plugged into an amplification system of any sort.

The unique aspect of this video is that the super treble has three pickup systems. That enabled this fellow to run the tonewood amp on only the treble harp strings.

Natural reverb does occur in guitars. However, if you listen carefully you can hear the digital delay when he plucks harder.

In retrospect, I should not have put that video in this thread. So far no one has answered the question I asked. LOL!
I later remembered reading about Tonewood--but yes, when I wrote, I had totally forgotten that it was a unique product. Some threads in the past on AGF debated the pros and cons I believe.

If the Tonewood attaches by adhesion--smooth silicone or gel to a hard surface--I would expect it would not hold well with crystal ice unless it is some really, really soft gel. Write the manufacturer for suggestions. I'm sure they've sold to others with similar questions.

For guitar leg supports that use suction cups, they will not work on satin or crystal surfaces either--it must be gloss. But usually they include an adhesive plastic sheet you can apply to the satin surface. Afterwards, the area is like gloss and the suction works. Maybe this would work if the TWA doesn't attach directly to crystal ice.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I later remembered reading about Tonewood--but yes, when I wrote, I had totally forgotten that it was a unique product. Some threads in the past on AGF debated the pros and cons I believe.

If the Tonewood attaches by adhesion--smooth silicone or gel to a hard surface--I would expect it would not hold well with crystal ice unless it is some really, really soft gel. Write the manufacturer for suggestions. I'm sure they've sold to others with similar questions.

For guitar leg supports that use suction cups, they will not work on satin or crystal surfaces either--it must be gloss. But usually they include an adhesive plastic sheet you can apply to the satin surface. Afterwards, the area is like gloss and the suction works. Maybe this would work if the TWA doesn't attach directly to crystal ice.
The TWA does have adhesive pads on the x brace side of the device (on the inside of the guitar). However, they are there to line up the brace where you need it and then leave it, the pads will keep the brace "stuck" when you remove the amp from the outside of the guitar. The TWA has extremely strong magnets, so strong that TWA provides a warning to those with pacemakers and that they should not even use it. The magnets are the primary reason the TWA stays in place.

There really should be no concern about what type of surface the TWA attaches to. While polyurethane high-gloss would be the best surface, the magnets are so strong I even use the TWA on my Martin- an "oil rubbed" finish that doesn't even qualify as satin. Works just fine on that guitar even while standing. No issues whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:22 AM

The finish shouldn't have much of an effect on the TWA output. The real issue with an Emerald guitar is whether there is sufficient flat space on the back of the instrument to support the X-brace on the interior. If the curvature of the back on an Emerald is too great, the X-brace will not have enough attachment surface and will fall off. (As an example, think of an Ovation - you'd never get the X-brace to fit with that much curve.) The carbon-fiber itself is no problem - I've used the TWA on several CF guitars and it is great.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like it won't be an issue.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like it won't be an issue.
Hi Carbonius,

Did you manage to install one? I have an X20 Opus as well and would like to have the tonewood amp installed if it works out.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
Hi Carbonius,

Did you manage to install one? I have an X20 Opus as well and would like to have the tonewood amp installed if it works out.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi there, I can probably help you. I have an Emerald X20 & X30 and a Tonewood Amp. The X30 has a flat back so the TWA fits no problem. The X20 has some contours (as you know I'm sure) so yes the TWA will fit and work you just have to move it inwards a little further than recommended but it works the same.

Before I bought the TWA I watched all the youtube videos and I was quite impressed I thought it was something I could really utilize while sitting around unplugged. For me it turned out to be a bit of a gimmick. It adds a lot of weight and awkwardness to the guitar. I took it off after about an hour. I also tried it on a Gibson dread. It appears that some people love it as for me I can live without it and will most likely end up selling it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber