The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Default A visit from a Martin devotee

I hosted a family reunion this weekend. My brother-in-law is a long time Martin dread owner (and a way better guitarist than I am). Sitting out on a stand was my Rainsong hybrid WS.

He talked about slacking off in his guitar playing, how he barely keeps his D-28 humidified in the case, about not having enough time.

He was curious (and uninformed) about CF guitars and the H-WS1000N2, but for several hours he did not make a move.

When he finally did, he was seemingly mesmerized, and kept coming back to it. He was really thrilled with the playability as well as the tone. Before long, he had his smart phone out researching prices...in between bouts of playing the Rainsong.

We'll see what happens...
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM

I think most of us who follow this particular thread have a pretty good guess what will happen, unless the guy is strapped for cash but can't bear to part with his Martin.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM

As much as I love my Martins, now that I have a CF guitar and see/hear how great they can sound, I think I may be trading them in for other CF guitars. I think a Rainsong and an Emerald to go with my Legacy . I think I am done with wood now that these CF guitars have so much to offer. Note: ( I also live on a boat)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I let my OM28 go after getting my X20, not an easy task, but a guitar that good deserves to be played and I wasn't getting it done.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Seems to be happening more and more. Even traditionalists are coming around to the virtues of composite guitars well beyond that they are not the plastic toys some uninformed once claimed.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

You just can't beat all of the upsides to owning a CF guitar. I've owned several now and now I have a custom X20 on order that hopefully will be a life keeper as it's going to be built to my exacting standards. I will then have just two, one nice all-wood guitar (the SC in my sig line) and the X20. I'll be covered across the board.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I don't think of myself as a "wood snobby" kinda guy, but as much as I enjoy my CF guitars, I think everyone should have a nice wood guitar, too... you know, so they can REALLY appreciate how easy it is to live with some CF guitars!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I don't think of myself as a "wood snobby" kinda guy, but as much as I enjoy my CF guitars, I think everyone should have a nice wood guitar, too... you know, so they can REALLY appreciate how easy it is to live with some CF guitars!

Sage advise Captain, me thinks that ship has sailed for me though. The days of worrying about humidity and tweaking truss rods and summer vs winter saddles, and constant retunning, with days that sound like someone stuffed socks in the sound hole along with waiting for the wood to "open up", neck resets, finish cracks, etc. Arr behind me now. For those that enjoy their wood guitars, bully for them. I wish them fair days and proper humidity.
Really, I love wood guitars and am glad we live in the golden age of being able to have so many choices.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

I tend to agree. I only have one quality wood acoustic guitar...my '02 Taylor 814c (+ Baggs Anthem) bought new back then and I won't part with it. I doubt I'll ever buy another wood guitar though. During spring/summer/fall I live in central/east Canada where the climate is harsh and temps and humidity can swing wildly and quickly, but to be honest, my 814c doesn't change all that much and I even leave it out on a wall hanger. I just don't fret about it. It is in equal rotation. During the dry winter when we're in SW Florida, it's in its case stored at my parents climate-controlled house. I have taken my Taylor to Florida, but mostly I take a CF guitar.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the Captain too, after all, he is THE CAPTAIN. LOL I would never part with my SCGC D12, but can't see myself buying another woodie. 1 wood and 2 CF seems to work well for me.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 AM

In my eventual quest to transition to CF only (progressing nicely) there will be one all koa Taylor GA that will remain. The other wood guitars are slowly moving on as the opportunities arise. The last wood guitar that I probably will ever buy was a sub-$500 import parlor, just to try that body size and twelve fret design.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Seems to me that the CF guitars are so good these days that it is forcing us to find and keep only the best of the best when it comes to wood guitars.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

If only those wooden guitars could be as nice those made of carbon fiber.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

My two main players these days are my beat up 1937 00-17 and my Rainsong concert series parlor. If the house were on fire I suppose I'd grab these two and jump.

My other guitars are fantastic....but these two seem to do it. Don't know why...don't really care.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
The days of worrying about humidity and tweaking truss rods and summer vs winter saddles, and constant retunning, with days that sound like someone stuffed socks in the sound hole along with waiting for the wood to "open up", neck resets, finish cracks, etc. Arr behind me now. For those that enjoy their wood guitars, bully for them. I wish them fair days and proper humidity.
Really, I love wood guitars and am glad we live in the golden age of being able to have so many choices.
I agree entirely. I love wooden guitars and I have had some of the best, but after buying my house in North Dakota I could not adequately humidify a wooden guitar and yet keep it out and ready to play, so I went CF (Rainsong Concert dreadnought). I wasn't prepared for the many great qualities it has, so call me very pleasantly surprised and completely satisfied.

I own a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber