The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejay71093 View Post
I have a bose T1 mixer and only use 2 inputs and also an extra samson vocal mic lying around. Would it be overboard to use my k&k mini w preamp, a fishman blackstack and also mic the guitar and try blending all the sounds in? (Using 3 diff channels). I play sitting down but I've never tried using a guitar mic live.
You could wire up the active K&K with the passive Blackstack to a stereo cable out the guitar. The K&K would be on the tip with the ground being switched, while the passive blackstack would be on the ring. Then split it out on the stereo cable and put both channels into your mixer, then adding the external mic.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM

3-1/2 years later, I'm back to this. Just bought a Black Angel, planning to pair it with a k&k. Any thought?

I've had an Anthem + k&k for a few years, but I guess I'm losing interest in the Anthem... just sounds thin, doesn't matter where I set the mic mix. Conversely, I really like the k&k mostly, but it doesn't cut well in a band. So I'm hoping a mag will help with that,

Any suggestions or comments?
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 04-09-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
3-1/2 years later, I'm back to this. Just bought a Black Angel, planning to pair it with a k&k. Any thought?

I've had an Anthem + k&k for a few years, but I guess I'm losing interest in the Anthem... just sounds thin, doesn't matter where I set the mic mix. Conversely, I really like the k&k mostly, but it doesn't cut well in a band. So I'm hoping a mag will help with that,

Any suggestions or comments?
Post pics of the work in progress. Might do similar in the future.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 PM

K&K actually recently released their own magnetic pickup called the Double Helix! I have it paired with the trinity and it sounds great!

I have heard that black angel works really well too, they both have similar features like the phase switch.

http://kksound.com/products/doublehelix.php
Old 04-12-2017, 09:59 AM

I've been using a k&k with an M1 for a while now. Stereo cable to k&k dual pro preamp.
Sounds fantastic, if there were any advice I'd say try to eq one for lower mids to low end and the other for the upper register. This way they aren't fighting each other for frequencies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM

I got the Black Angel + K&K working yesterday. A lot of promise. I still have some work to do with my pedalboard to get the signal right. Currently it's like this:

Tip: Black Angel: turbo tuner> LS-2
Ring: K&K : Empress ParaEQ> Baggs Session> LS-2

I think the K&K needs some EQ, and then it sounds great through the Session. But I don't have a 2nd EQ or a 2nd preamp for the Black Angel. It doesn't need it as much as the K&K, but it would help.

That said, removing some low mids and boosting the signal of the K&K through the session with comp EQ sounds fantastic. The Black Angel is the icing on the cake.

I thought about putting the Session after the LS-2, but I'm not sure the K&K sounded as good. Not sure.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I got the Black Angel + K&K working yesterday. A lot of promise. I still have some work to do with my pedalboard to get the signal right. Currently it's like this:

Tip: Black Angel: turbo tuner> LS-2
Ring: K&K : Empress ParaEQ> Baggs Session> LS-2

I think the K&K needs some EQ, and then it sounds great through the Session. But I don't have a 2nd EQ or a 2nd preamp for the Black Angel. It doesn't need it as much as the K&K, but it would help.

That said, removing some low mids and boosting the signal of the K&K through the session with comp EQ sounds fantastic. The Black Angel is the icing on the cake.

I thought about putting the Session after the LS-2, but I'm not sure the K&K sounded as good. Not sure.
I appreciate I'm a few months behind in commenting here - but I've also recently gone down the K&K Mini / Black Angel route - and I'm absolutely delighted with the results. I'm using the K&K for about 60 - 65% of the blended mix, and the Black Angel to pad out the bottom end. I have the K&K wired to the tip, and the Black Angel to the ring, so I can use a stereo TRS cable out and split it at the preamp.

I've tried the combo both through a Grace Design Felix, and also a Bose T1. Surprisingly (well, to me at least!) I've had the best results using the T1. I had a professional sound expert help me with the EQ settings, and I am just blown away with the final achieved sound - it's getting close to the Nirvana I have in my head for a plugged in sound. The K&K is EQ'd so that some of the bottom end is rolled off, and there's a substantial deep para cut around the 600Hz mark. The Black Angel has most of the mids and highs EQ'd out. I think the only thing now that could add that extra layer of "shimmer" would be an internal mic - so I am starting to think about the possibility of upgrading the K&K to a Trinity (Onboard) which will still allow for all 3 sources to be delivered via a stereo TRS cable.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I appreciate I'm a few months behind in commenting here - but I've also recently gone down the K&K Mini / Black Angel route - and I'm absolutely delighted with the results. I'm using the K&K for about 60 - 65% of the blended mix, and the Black Angel to pad out the bottom end. I have the K&K wired to the tip, and the Black Angel to the ring, so I can use a stereo TRS cable out and split it at the preamp.

I've tried the combo both through a Grace Design Felix, and also a Bose T1. Surprisingly (well, to me at least!) I've had the best results using the T1. I had a professional sound expert help me with the EQ settings, and I am just blown away with the final achieved sound - it's getting close to the Nirvana I have in my head for a plugged in sound. The K&K is EQ'd so that some of the bottom end is rolled off, and there's a substantial deep para cut around the 600Hz mark. The Black Angel has most of the mids and highs EQ'd out. I think the only thing now that could add that extra layer of "shimmer" would be an internal mic - so I am starting to think about the possibility of upgrading the K&K to a Trinity (Onboard) which will still allow for all 3 sources to be delivered via a stereo TRS cable.
I've been using the Felix for a few months now, it really is a great box to mix/EQ two signals together.
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification