The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default PM'ed Ya Wooly

Aloha Wooly.

Sent a couple PM's to you related to un-stalling a K&K pick up.

alohachris
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Pickup choices are personal, unfortunately, and there's also the guitar-to-guitar variation. But I'd 2nd Chris, not so much on "reinstalling" but in adding a mic as an option to consider. The K&K's a good, solid-sounding pickup, maybe a bit on the bass/mid side. Adding in an internal, along with a 2 channel preamp, then using the mic for the highs adds that "air" and presence that's missing from the K&K (and most pickups). I always add a mic to any pickup I use. It does depend on your playing situation and personal taste of course. A K&K+mic can be pretty feedback-prone if you can't keep your stage volume under control.

Also, to me, 90% of sound issues come down to the amplification chain. Almost any pickup can sound pretty good thru a great PA. Almost all sound bad thru a bad system.

On the passive side, an option, if you really don't like SBTs, is the Barbara UST. Passive, and sounds very good, tho above your stated budget.

Yet another option would be the ToneDexter. There have been several threads here, with demos using the K&K.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=
Also, to me, 90% of sound issues come down to the amplification chain. Almost any pickup can sound pretty good thru a great PA. Almost all sound bad thru a bad system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

I mainly play through my Loudbox Mini and the odd time through a P.A. I'm really don't want to remove the K&K but if need be......

Good info. Thanks
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

The loudbox mini is a nice little amp, no match for a full-range PA, but it depends on your setting. But re-reading your original post, you're happy with your sound with other guitars, including one with a K&K, so it's just this one guitar. SBTs are quite dependent on the guitar they're in, so this may just not be a match. Not all guitars sound good amplified,either. You may just not like something about the guitar or the guitar/pickup combo, so try something else, for sure. Then again, you have 3 guitars that already have pickups in them and they sound great, so maybe you're all set?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification