The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM

When it comes to tonewoods and building materials, I think the acoustic guitar community is often too bound and prejudiced by preconceived notions of what is needed to make a "great sounding guitar". Great sounding and playing instruments made using alternate materials (including carbon fiber) are showing us the folly of our prejudices. Moving forward, I believe we will have no choice but to get over these old, false, pre-conceived beliefs.

Well said, Ed. Pre-conceived notions are powerful things. There was a time when wooden baseball bats were the only choice, but now except for major league baseball, do you see them very much anymore? The more that CF instruments appears in retail settings, the more they will sell.

Carbon fiber tone is not necessarily better or worse, just different. Some say better, others say not so much. I happen to be a big fan. But the advantages of a composite guitar are undeniable versus the care & feeding of fine wood guitars. There is a place for both, including in my ever-increasing CF world. There will always be one or two wood guitars (and ukulele) that will be here at my house. But the lion's share of my play time is going to the CF instruments already and I don't see that changing.

And I'm pretty confident saying that I have already purchased the last wood guitar that I will ever buy.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

And I'm pretty confident saying that I have already purchased the last wood guitar that I will ever buy.
Me too Earl.

Last edited by steelvibe; 07-07-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling.....dert!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
As you likely know, you can have coco with an Emerald...on the top where it shows even better.
When Emerald builds better than Santa Cruz customs I'll consider it......but for now I luv em,,
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Evan, actually Journey is now bigger than Blackbird and Emerald, and they are far from done with new designs.
They do make wood guitars as well which might help in volume. Really nice ones I must say.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber