The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Haha, that's funny! Think about it Ted. If you would've bought a new one, you could place the Emerald mug in the soundhole! Happy July 4th.
That would have been a very expensive mug. Happy 4th to you, Tom!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My first impression with the sound/tone/volume on the X20 was... WOW! It took me a few sessions with it to determine that it can be played quietly. For Carbonious (great forum name BTW), the soundhole on the X20 kicks. In fact, the guitar shape seems to be designed to push a lot of sound (I feel the rumble in my belly and chest more on this guitar than any other I own)... but, it is not intense in the highs.

According to the Taylor info, the Tasmanian Blackwood has characteristics similar to koa, "in its midrange focus — a little dry and clear yet also warm — with an added splash of top-end shimmer and richness found in rosewood."

With your ears being sensitive to the highs, you may find that the X20 is more balanced in that respect than your 416. Even though, initially, you may find that it puts out "a lot" of sound. These days, when I play a guitar with a center soundhole, my first impression is that "something is missing." I don't find the sound output to be "too much," but very satisfying.

Of course, the best situation would be for you to be able to try one before you buy - not easy since Emerald only sells direct. I hear Ireland is lovely this time of year.
Since my hearing changed, I have had to change how I play a bit. The bigger body of the Taylor GS helps to round out the tone. It can be very warm with wonderful note separation and nice resonance. I just can't get too boisterous with a flat pick like I used to. Oh well, maybe I'm getting too old for that any ways

As a Canadian I have to pay the USD to CDN conversion, then 30% duty on top of that. So that Emerald gets a lot more expensive.

To the OP, I hope you didn't mind the segue. I hate seeing threads get off topic, but this was all in the realm of CF guitars. Hopefully it helped in the process.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Since my hearing changed, I have had to change how I play a bit. The bigger body of the Taylor GS helps to round out the tone. It can be very warm with wonderful note separation and nice resonance. I just can't get too boisterous with a flat pick like I used to. Oh well, maybe I'm getting too old for that any ways

As a Canadian I have to pay the USD to CDN conversion, then 30% duty on top of that. So that Emerald gets a lot more expensive.

To the OP, I hope you didn't mind the segue. I hate seeing threads get off topic, but this was all in the realm of CF guitars. Hopefully it helped in the process.
Carbonius, as a fellow Canadian, I'm also faced with the high cost of conversion. It sucks. I took delivery of my first Chimaera at my winter home in the U.S. (SW Florida) and for whatever reason, there was no duty. Upon crossing the border back into Canada by car some months after taking possession, I declared the guitar, but with my wife's and my personal exemptions, we just got waved through without question. Land border crossings can be more lenient depending on the officer. Even though you can inquire with Emerald about if there may be duties, I'm sure they'll tell you it's best to check with your local border services. I suggest you give a call to CBSA. Who knows, maybe there will be no duties. If you do inquire, please report back, even if a PM to me. Thx.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
If you have sensitive hearing, I would definitely recommend trying one in a way where it wont cost you too much if you decide it's not for you. Perhaps do what I did, look for a used one. Took me but a week to find one listed on this forum.

I never suggested that smaller numbers are a negative.

Well, it is the only guitar I own with a built in cup holder.

Happy Independence Day Everyone!
The cup holder is a good one! Lol
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

LOL...I love that picture!

Happy 4th to everyone on the Forum....and enjoy playing what ever you are playing today. I was playing outside until the heat drove me in, I don't like sweating that much on ANY guitar. 96 degrees 12% humidity.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The cup holder is a good one! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
LOL...I love that picture!

Happy 4th to everyone on the Forum....and enjoy playing what ever you are playing today. I was playing outside until the heat drove me in, I don't like sweating that much on ANY guitar. 96 degrees 12% humidity.
Remember, you saw it here first!! Happy Independence Day AGF peeps!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic photo, Ted! One must be careful to stay hydrated when playing guitar. The X20 appears to be the perfect solution.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Ted's photo is another example of showing how impervious to cold and wet the Emeralds are! Can't do that with a Savoy, can ya?

While it may not have been the intent, I see that image as: Ted is so taken by the delightful tone of the X20 that he can't put it down, even to take nourishment.

I have some Taylor soundhole cut-outs that I use as coasters, but I put my drink down when actually playing any of my guitars.

Here's something you can screw into the soundboard of your Savoy to make it as functional...

----------

On edit: note there is a smiley face in there, so we all know I'm kidding. That cup-holder would be fine on a RainSong, CA, Blackbird, or even a Journey, as well.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-04-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Fantastic photo, Ted! One must be careful to stay hydrated when playing guitar. The X20 appears to be the perfect solution.
Thanks, Mike, and you're right, it's important to stay hydrated.

BTW, congrats on your new Savoy, so glad you decided to give it another shot. Helene and I are up at our lake house for the week, and I was really planning to use the time to get to know this X20 a little better, but we also packed the Savoy, and I just can't put that guitar down. Use it in good health, Mike!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:13 AM

Enjoy your new guitar. I spent a lot of time out in the nice hot sun this weekend playing my Rainsong OM1000N2 and it is amazing how great these CF guitars sound. The early versions were a bit shrill but now the top brand CF guitars are beautiful and tonally complex instruments. It always amuses me to hear folks bad mouth "non-wood" guitars because often they likely don't know what they are missing.

Does CF sound different than wood? Yes, the incredible clarity and nature of the overtones seems rather unique, but that is what makes them so distinctive and appealing. You will love the Savoy....and that pic of Ted is priceless.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Thanks, Mike, and you're right, it's important to stay hydrated.

BTW, congrats on your new Savoy, so glad you decided to give it another shot. Helene and I are up at our lake house for the week, and I was really planning to use the time to get to know this X20 a little better, but we also packed the Savoy, and I just can't put that guitar down. Use it in good health, Mike!
Thanks Ted. Major lesson learned in terms of allowing time for proper assessment. Enjoy your week in paradise with Helene... you know, you can fit a shot glass in the sound port on that Savoy!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanks, Jon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Thanks Ted. Major lesson learned in terms of allowing time for proper assessment. Enjoy your week in paradise with Helene... you know, you can fit a shot glass in the sound port on that Savoy!
As they say, all's well that ends well. And thanks, Mike, it is paradise up here, and to think it's just two hours from LA. I'll have to try your he shot glass idea, but to tell you the truth, when I have the Savoy in my lap, the only thing I want to do is play it. Team Blackbird leally hit it out of the park with the Savoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber